Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I bet you didnt know that

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

Don't copy & paste from articles on other sites like it is your own. Quote part of it and leave a link to the source.

This is boards.ie, not TheLiberal.ie #shotsfired

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

310131869830234113-png__700.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

New Home wrote: »

What are you doing in here NH? Thought you only live in TTTMYH :D

Keep meaning to put this thread into TTTMYH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Valentina Tereshkova was the first woman is space on June 16th 1963. She was also the first civilian, as the Russians wanted to prove that space travel was also for the proletariat, not just the military. 16 months before that historic flight she was working in a factory as a textile worker, but she applied to join the programme as she was a keen parachute jumper.

She spent 3 days in space, more than the time of all US astronauts combined at that time. She was also exactly 10 years younger than the then youngest US astornaut Gordon Cooper and to this day is still the second youngest person ever to fly in space. It would be another 20 years before the US sent a woman into space.

Her spaceship Vostok 6 was launched the day after Vostok 5 and the two ships passed within 5 km of each other in outer space. They used a standard radio to communicate with each other. They also did this with Vostok 3 and 4. The Americans were convinced that the Russians had developed some sort of manouverability system in space to achieve this, but in actual fact it was down to very precise launch times and calculations. This was only officially confirmed to the Americans in the mid 1990's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Now, I did not know that.

Never considered it before.

Excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino is from an Argentinean village called Murphy, after John James Murphy, who emigrated there in the 1840's and at one time owned 18000 hectares of land, which he farmed with the help of a load of people from his home county of Wexford.

though often associated with Italian cuisine, the humble tomato came from the good ol USA!! the Italians are just great at using it.

Also, I learned recently, the word viscosity derives it's name from a Latin term describing the thick sap of the mistletoe.. who knew eh!!

The Hochrheinbrucke is a 225m bridge linking Germany and Switzerland across the Rhine river in Laufenburg. It was built between 2002 and 2004. The construction was started from both sides simultaneously and was made slightly more complex as the Germans take their sea level point as that in Amsterdam (Amsterdam Ordnance Datum), but the Swiss use a point in Lake Geneva, which is based on the sea level in Marseille.

There is a 27cm difference between the two of them, this was known and taken into account. But instead of subtracting 27cm, a person in the office accidentally added 27cm at the start of the design phase, so half way through the construction of the bridge they noticed that the bridge was going to be 54cm higher one one side than the other.

It was corrected in time and the insurance for the engineering company paid for the extra costs. The total cost of the bridge was €6,000,000, how much the mistake cost was never publicised.

To make things more complex, Austria uses a sea level based on the Adriatic. The problem has hopefully been solved for the future using this system here: https://evrs.bkg.bund.de/Subsites/EVRS/EN/Home/home.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

rusty cole wrote: »
    though often associated with Italian cuisine, the humble tomato came from the good ol USA!! the Italians are just great at using it.

Also, I learned recently, the word viscosity derives it's name from a Latin term describing the thick sap of the mistletoe.. who knew eh!!

I always thought that tomatoes, peppers, beans and corn all originated from Central and South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Oh and Bananas are technically a berries.

They're also a herb. Banana "trees" contain no woody (fnarr!) tissue and are therefore not technically trees but herbaceous plants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Dolmio sauces associated with Italian cuisine actually originated as Alora, a brand owned by Mars International in Australia.

Actually the playtpus is venomous, not poisonous.
    Poisonous means the toxin is ingested, inhaled or delivered via touch, while venomous mean the toxin is injected into a wound.

Hence there are actually only three species of poisonous snakes in the world (according to QI, anyway)..

blastman wrote: »
    They're also a herb. Banana "trees" contain no woody (fnarr!) tissue and are therefore not technically trees but herbaceous plants

And they 'crawl', so to speak, so a line of banana plants this year will produce another line of new shoots at a certain distance from the parent plant next year. I can't remember whether they 'crawl' underground, though, like some types of bamboo canes, or above ground like strawberries do. Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's an annual plant.
    GMSA wrote: »
    Dolmio sauces associated with Italian cuisine actually originated as Alora, a brand owned by Mars International in Australia.

I don't have a jar here to check, but I'm pretty sure that the sauces sold in Ireland are produced in Holland.

I always thought that tomatoes, peppers, beans and corn all originated from Central and South America.

the book said america so technically we're both right, I didnt mean north exclusively sorry (mea culpa enda kenny style), I meant the americas.. jeesh!! kick many puppies on the way to work much?? :)

the book said america so technically we're both right, I didnt mean north exclusively sorry (mea culpa enda kenny style), I meant the americas.. jeesh!! kick many puppies on the way to work much?? :)

In fairness, you were not both right, technically or otherwise. The USA in on a different continent to the correct origin.

No, not even one. :D You didn't ask whether they kick me, though... :eek:
    In fairness, you were not both right, technically or otherwise. The USA in on a different continent to the correct origin.

:D Unless we go back to the whole 'How many continents are there?' debate... We can agree on the fact that they didn't originate in Europe, at least. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The story about the cock up with the bridge reminds me of the story of.the Mars Orbital spacecraft that burned up in the Mars atmosphere due to a mix up between an instrument reading in imperial units, and the computer software expecting to receive the data in metric.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Now that continent idea could start an argument.

The plural is cul de sac is culs de sac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Everyone knows that computers are based on logic values '1' and '0' and it's one or the other.

VHDL is a programming language and it's "binary" values can be one of these nine, in order of precedence , 'U','X','1','0','Z','W','H','L','-'

'U' = uninitialized - hasn't settled to 1 or 0 , well not yet anyway
    'X' = unknown , could be 1 , could be 0 , but probably the one you don't want
    '1'/'0'= OK I recognise these , what's with the rest ?
    'Z' = floating , high impedance , will be overridden by a 1 or 0
    'W' = weak 'X' - a weak unknown , vaguely 1 ish or maybe 0 ish
    'H'/'L' = weak '1'/'0'
    '-' = don't care , and by now you probably don't

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Arses of the bag ?

Everyone knows that computers are based on logic values '1' and '0' and it's one or the other.

VHDL is a programming language and it's "binary" values can be one of these nine, in order of precedence , 'U','X','1','0','Z','W','H','L','-'

'H'/'L' = weak '1'/'0'

Sounds a lot like the Shroedinger's cat conundrum... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

And it's not used in France. Usually it's "Voie sans issue" or "Impasse".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

'H'/'L' = weak '1'/'0'

Ah well now, VHDL is VHSIC Hardware Description Language, the low-level of low-level of microcode. :D

it certainly will be when I BUILD MY WALL!!! it's gonna happen people..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

73Cat wrote: »
    Mike the Headless Chicken or Miracle Mike was a chicken that survived for 18 months after having it's head chopped off. He was born in Fruita,Colorado, America in 1945, somehow survived beheading, and was then fed by his owner using a dropper down his neck. He gained fame touring sideshows, but eventually choked on tour. Fruita hosts a Mike the Headless Chicken Day every year so the legacy lives on :)

His legacy lives on? I think you'll find, he himself lives on. I know him, he sits on the board of directors where I work!
    There is a small population of Lions in India.

There's a small population of lions in the phoenix park!:D

Had the kids in the zoo a couple of weeks back and I was amazed by the noise the male lion was making. You could hear it all over the zoo and way out into the park itself. Not your big roar like at the start of the movies, but this really deep low frequency kind of wooooh wooooh wooooh noise, very similar to that thing the Icelandic football fans do. When up close you could actually feel the reverberation in your chest - in all the times I've seen lions (I've only ever seen them on telly or in a zoo mind) I've never heard them do anything like that.

The word "Cul de Sac" makes no sense, grammatically or otherwise in French.

The liquer Irish Mist is sold in Germany as well. "Mist" in German means "manure", so we are selling them Irish Manure in a bottle. It still sells well over there.

One of BMWs main buildings was built in Munich on the old Schittgablerstrasse or "Manure Fork Street". On completion of the building BMW applied to Munich City Council to have the name changed. They refused.

Konrad Adenauer was German Kanzler back in the 1950's. He was asked to pick a new state car and shown a BMW 502and a Mercedes 300. He picked the Merc solely because he could get in and out of it without removing his hat. It lead to a boom in Mercedes sales in Germany and BMW took almost 50 years to catch up with them. The car is today still known in Germany as an 'Adenauer Mercedes '.

Doesn't 'cul de sac' literally mean 'bottom of bag'? It seems to be quite apt to apply it to a road that, like the bottom of a bag, has no way out except for the way you came in.

https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/cul-de-sac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Red Kev wrote: »
    ...He picked the Merc solely because he could get in and out of it without removing his hat...
    I'll just leave this here... :D

vbulletinaolto5.jpgaolto5.jpg

Doesn't 'cul de sac' literally mean 'bottom of bag'? It seems to be quite apt to a road that, like the bottom of a bag, has no way out except for the way you came in.

Seems to have a French etymology alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

if you were to lay all your blood vessels out end to end, you'd likely die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Wossack wrote: »
    if you were to lay all your blood vessels out end to end, you'd likely die

Likely ????? :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Likely ????? :eek::eek:

what am I, a doctor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Doesn't 'cul de sac' literally mean 'bottom of bag'? It seems to be quite apt to apply it to a road that, like the bottom of a bag, has no way out except for the way you came in.

Except it's not bottom, the opposite of top, it's the thing you sit upon.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Ah well now, VHDL is VHSIC Hardware Description Language, the low-level of low-level of microcode. :D
    And VHSIC is ...

I digress

Low level ?

my_favorite_programming_language_is_solder_pease.jpg
    http://www.ti.com/ww/en/bobpease/ :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

http://www.cnrtl.fr/etymologie/cul-de-sac

I'm a bit rusty on the aul' frogspeak, but according to them serious-sounding fellas, "Cul" here refers to the deepest part.

Like Bottom was an ass? :D

Not only that - see point 5 (there's an actual image of a backside that refers to the other meanings, so it's NSFW)
    (Figuré) Le dessous d’un objet, sur lequel généralement il repose, ou, sa partie arrière.
    Un cul de bouteille.
    Le cul d’un chariot.

Very rough translation: 'The bottom of an object, on which it usually rests, or its back. The bottom of a bottle. The back of a carriage.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

During his first public demonstration of the Television, John Logie Baird said -in true dour Scottish humour-
    "Och aye 'tis great alright.... but still there's nay f***all on".

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

The word "boycott" originated in Ireland, after the town of Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo started a campaign of isolation against Charles Cunningham Boycott, a land agent who worked for the 3rd Lord Erne. History tells it that in 1880 all local shops refused to serve him, and the boy who delivered his mail was threatened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

The imported rabbits killed off our wolves and bears? Jaysus!

They've got a vicious streak a mile wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The word "boycott" originated in Ireland, after the town of Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo started a campaign of isolation against Charles Cunningham Boycott, a land agent who worked for the 3rd Lord Erne. History tells it that in 1880 all local shops refused to serve him, and the boy who delivered his mail was threatened.

That's Junior Cert stuff, I would have thought it was well-known.

The boycott was mainly successful because nobody would harvest his crops. Eventually some Orangemen from Cavan and Monaghan agreed to do it but the cost of transporting them to the area and providing police protection was more than the value of the harvest, rendering the entire effort pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Like Bottom was an ass? :D

Not only that - see point 5 (there's an actual image of a backside that refers to the other meanings, so it's NSFW)

Very rough translation: 'The bottom of an object, on which it usually rests, or its back. The bottom of a bottle. The back of a carriage.'

And if you're drinking with your friends, if someone shouts "Cul sec!" (literally, dry arse), it means down it in one (leave the bottom of the glass dry).

Apparently we have another continent to add to that argument!

Earth has a brand-new continent called Zealandia, and it's been hiding in plain sight for ages

And VHSIC is ...

Very High-Speed Integrated Circuit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 re_shaft

The new continent could have economic and geopolitical implications.

It won't. The human concept of what a continent is is pretty arbitrary.

re_shaft wrote: »
    It won't. The human concept of what a continent is is pretty arbitrary.

Am I missing something here, but is the thing not under several hundred meters of ocean anyway? That makes it a bit academic. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

"Thin air" isn't. It's actually quite thick.

If your car could drive straight up, space would be about an hour's drive away.

The size of the Earth compared with its atmosphere is proportional to the size of an apple compared with its skin.

storker wrote: »
    "Thin air" isn't. It's actually quite thick.

The size of the Earth compared with its atmosphere is proportional to the size of an apple compared with its skin.

But Air and atmosphere are not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

storker wrote: »

Surely that depends on how fast you drive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement