Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fibre broadband is at my gate only advise sought?

• 25-05-2019 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭

6 months ago I ordered the new Eir fibre broadband and when KN engineers called out to install they told me not possible until I run a new duct under my lawn to accommodate new cabling from the roadside.

Last week Sky broadband rep told me they have new technology that bypasses this requirement and that they can send it into my home via existing electric cabling.

So I ordered that and yesterday their KN engineers called out and they said same as before I need to run an underground duct before it can proceed.

Anyone know of an alternative to me digging up the large garden? Someone mentioned if I order VF fibre that they can do that for me at no expense to me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

IrishHomer wrote: »
    6 months ago I ordered the new Eir fibre broadband and when KN engineers called out to install they told me not possible until I run a new duct under my lawn to accommodate new cabling from the roadside.

Last week Sky broadband rep told me they have new technology that bypasses this requirement and that they can send it into my home via existing electric cabling.

So I ordered that and yesterday their KN engineers called out and they said same as before I need to run an underground duct before it can proceed.

Anyone know of an alternative to me digging up the large garden? Someone mentioned if I order VF fibre that they can do that for me at no expense to me?

Do you have a duct for your existing telephone line?
    Is it blocked?

There's 2 Fibre to the Home (FTTH) services in Ireland:
    • Siro
    • Open Eir (Eir Wholesale company)

A Siro installation uses your ESB ducting if possible.
    A Open Eir installation uses your phone line duct if possible.

If there are telephone poles near your house you can ask for an overhead install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Door 2 Doors lying through their teeth to get a sale, shocker.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

IrishHomer wrote: »

We can take a look and advise if you like. send us a PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No. Both Vodafone and Sky are not straight upfront here.

If you are covered by the SIRO rollout, then SIRO will take care od the entire run to the ESB meter. That includes ducting on your premise. If your house was connected direct buried, they won't connect you at all.

If you are covered by the OpenEIR fibre rollout, then the ducting from the road to your premise is your responsibility.

From what you explain, you're being led on with porkies. Just for a salesman to make his quota.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    Do you have a duct for your existing telephone line?
    Is it blocked?

There's 2 Fibre to the Home (FTTH) services in Ireland:
    • Siro
    • Open Eir (Eir Wholesale company)

A Siro installation uses your ESB ducting if possible.
    A Open Eir installation uses your phone line duct if possible.

If there are telephone poles near your house you can ask for an overhead install

My existing duct is too old and blocked.

Overhead is not allowed because of power lines already overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Eir and Sky told me I'd have to dig out the path 4 houses down and all the way up my yard to the house... Virgin are the best so I stuck with them.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Eir and Sky told me I'd have to dig out the path 4 houses down and all the way up my yard to the house...

Erh ... no ... you are only responsible for the duct from your house to the boundary of your premise ..(the public road) ... any work from there has to be done by OpenEIR and is paid by them.

Again ... porkies.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

But dont worry the national broadband plan will solve all your problems!

I'd focus on wireless if i was you unless you want to lay a duct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Marlow wrote: »
    Erh ... no ... you are only responsible for the duct from your house to the boundary of your premise ..(the public road) ... any work from there has to be done by OpenEIR and is paid by them.

Again ... porkies.

/M

What would be the point of me lying? Jog on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

You might want to re read the post you replied to :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Not you. Them !! To you.

/M

Advertisement