Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a website domain- any recommended domain name registers?

Options
  • 23-05-2019 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭

Hi,

When picking a domain name register what should I look for, what differentiates them?

GoDaddy seem to be extremely cheap. If I change register after 1 year is it a simple process?

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Stick with an Irish one that you can phone if you have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

When picking a domain name register what should I look for, what differentiates them?
    After sales service basically.
    dinneenp wrote: »

GoDaddy seem to be extremely cheap. If I change register after 1 year is it a simple process?

Transferring registrar isn't complicated, but if you chose a registrar you're happy with then you shouldn't have to keep changing.
    Bear in mind that it's quite common to get a deep discount on the 1st year of a domain registration so check the renewal rates

Michele
    (And in case it's not blatantly obvious from my sig I work for a registrar / host)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Have heard many horror stories with goDaddy, would advise staying away, search on reddit to read some for yourself. I buy all my domains off namecheap, excellent interface and support. No complaints whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I've used Blacknight for a few years, find them excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

+1 for namecheap. the support is instant and superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Letshost.ie are fine for Irish domains. 5 euro promo on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

5euro promo is great, however the renewal with other providers not letshost but others is about 35 to 50.

It's grand if you have time to transfer your domain about the place, but with me i've about 100 domains and its hard enough trying to keep the ones i really need, looking back in hindsight a year in year out low cost provider would of been better for my .ie's

It's remarkable to see Mr Neylon still posting here with millions of euro in turnover and still willing to fight for that every registration :D:D

i'd have no problems registering domains with blacknight for steady the renewal cost they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cheers for the comments. I went with Blacknight in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

utmbuilder wrote: »
    It's remarkable to see Mr Neylon still posting here with millions of euro in turnover and still willing to fight for that every registration :D:D

I probably need a new hobby :)
    utmbuilder wrote: »

i'd have no problems registering domains with blacknight for steady the renewal cost they offer.

If you're having issues let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Go to HostingIreland.ie and run a search about the domain name and check its availability. Actually, I have a bad experience where I check the availability of the domain. When I checked on Google it wasn't available but it was parked with another hosting site and I tried to pick it with a different host. That's why suggesting you to check the availability of the domain in advance. And better to go with Ireland host and some options are host.ie and Blacknight. However, you can also consider SiteGround and Hostinger as good options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Go with someone like letshost who has a very good, modern, intuitive end user interface/website.

Blacknight is old, cumbersome, and not at all intuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ana_conda

Don't go for the cheapest and if you have an Irish business buy a .ie can't stress this enough! I'm with blacknight

Advertisement