Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birds not eating Lidl peanuts

Options
  • 21-05-2019 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Had Zooplus peanuts and young birds were devouring them. Bought Lidl ones and 3 days later they're untouched. Will I give it time. They're in exact same location

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just leave it. If they're hungry they will eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Wouldn’t eat them either. They’re dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Did the Zooplus variety put them off peanuts for life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

deaglan1 wrote:

They loved the Zooplus ones. It's the Lidl ones they seem to hate. Annoyed, bought 2 packets as on offer. Would have thought a peanut was a peanut!

Wouldn’t eat them either. They’re dirt

Was just wondering if I had fussy birds ! Now am thinking of going back to Lidl and trying to return.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Really, it's more a timing issue. Birds eat less peanuts at this tome of year; I have the same peanuts as always yet I'm only refilling every 4 days now, while it was a daily operation 5 weeks ago. Birds are not that discerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭threetrees

There's plenty of other food for them now and chicks won't be fed nuts, I think it's the fact that it's not needed rather than the brand. We feed during the winter but not in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Middle of May, height of summer, food everywhere for birds … mmm … I wonder why they're not leaping for joy at the sight of a few peanuts :p

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Birds with taste obviously

Birds with taste obviously

• Advertisement

seefin wrote: »
    deaglan1 wrote:

They loved the Zooplus ones. It's the Lidl ones they seem to hate. Annoyed, bought 2 packets as on offer. Would have thought a peanut was a peanut!
    Spoiling the bastards

StudentDad wrote:
    Middle of May, height of summer, food everywhere for birds … mmm … I wonder why they're not leaping for joy at the sight of a few peanuts

Because 2 days earlier they were devouring the Zooplus peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

seefin wrote: »
    Because 2 days earlier they were devouring the Zooplus peanuts.

Maybe the local bird committee decided that the peanut quota had been met and in line with the current policy of peanut conservation, other sources of food must be exploited to ensure the sustainability of the bird food supply into the future :)

You could of course, purchase more of these Zooplus peanuts and erect a second bird feeder. If the Lidl nuts continue to be ignored, then maybe there is a preference in the bird population for the Zooplus nuts :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: Can we reign in the sarcasm a bit please everyone!

StudentDad wrote:
    You could of course, purchase more of these Zooplus peanuts and erect a second bird feeder. If the Lidl nuts continue to be ignored, then maybe there is a preference in the bird population for the Zooplus nuts

I'll do a study and report back.

Advertisement