Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the earth so small when viewed from the moon?

Options
  • 28-02-2019 9:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Ok folks I'm no flat earther.
    But sometimes I've gone down the YouTube rabbit hole until I shake some sense into myself.
    One question though if the earth is 4 times bigger than the moon.
    Why does the one picture of earth from space/the moon looks like the earth is similar to the size we view the moon from earth.
    Surely from the surface of the moon earth should appear to be four Times bigger the the size of the moon we see from earth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Why does the one picture of earth from space/the moon looks like the earth is similar to the size we view the moon from earth. Surely from the surface of the moon earth should appear to be four Times bigger the the size of the moon we see from earth?

How are you comparing? Here's the Earth seen from the Moon:

sDV4Bft.jpg?2

If you don't like that size, how about this one:

tpCBmkw.jpg?1

Is the second Earth bigger? No, of course it isn't ... it's the same photo! So let's assume you're not talking about the size of the picture itself. Look at these identically sized pictures of the Moon from Earth, none of which involves any trick photography or photoshopping to change the size.

F8BZN40.jpg?17YuxpB1.jpg?1Wdkp4jV.jpg?1

Is the Moon the size of a tree branch, the size of a tree, or the size of a whole mountain full of trees? If you can figure out how these pictures were taken then you're well on the way to understanding why your question doesn't make any sense as posed.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

Ok folks I'm no flat earther.
    But sometimes I've gone down the YouTube rabbit hole until I shake some sense into myself.
    One question though if the earth is 4 times bigger than the moon.
    Why does the one picture of earth from space/the moon looks like the earth is similar to the size we view the moon from earth.
    Surely from the surface of the moon earth should appear to be four Times bigger the the size of the moon we see from earth?

Yes, a question I have asked myself many times, and not only us but many 1000's of people. The Earth from the moon should indeed be much larger.
    Nice pics given as an example but it does not show a larger Earth....plus no stars!
    I have heard the argument of no stars because the sun is too bright, but then it does not stop the hubble seeing them, and I have seen videos of space with stars glowing.....from official sources.
    Then you have the nasa photos of Earth all looking different from year to year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Yes, a question I have asked myself many times, and not only us but many 1000's of people. The Earth from the moon should indeed be much larger.
    Nice pics given as an example but it does not show a larger Earth....plus no stars!
    I have heard the argument of no stars because the sun is too bright, but then it does not stop the hubble seeing them, and I have seen videos of space with stars glowing.....from official sources.
    I think all the NASA pictures of the earth are composites.
    The picture of earth from th moon boggles me the earth should loom quite large from the surface of the moon.
    I think the pictures are fake

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Take a picture of the moon the next time you see it, then hold the photo of the moon you just took next to the actual moon in the sky.

A lot smaller indeed.

• Advertisement

Take a picture of the moon the next time you see it, then hold the photo of the moon you just took next to the actual moon in the sky.

A lot smaller indeed.

I'll try tonight thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I think all the NASA pictures of the earth are composites.
    The picture of earth from th moon boggles me the earth should loom quite large from the surface of the moon.
    I think the pictures are fake

Why would people fake it?

King Mob wrote: »
    Why would people fake it?

Maybe they never made to the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Maybe they never made to the moon
    Ok, that's a very strange explanation.

Why would they fake the photograph though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The earth is only x4 bigger than the moon, that equates to being only twice as wide, and twice as tall.
    From afar, a golf ball mightn't look much different from a cricket ball.

Also, there is a chance the old camera used on the moon was a fisheye (sub 35mm lens), to capture broad lunar detail.

The three stock photos of the moon above, are low horizon (maybe supermoon, and telephoto also), so the moon is distorted, to appear larger.

Bigger questions are why the men in spacesuits on the moon took such excellent steady, focused, composed photos from their clumsy suits,
    and when is ye olde Planet9 (nibiru) due to arrive - cause that will mess with the weather a fair bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Why should it be much larger? That statement is incoherent. Much larger THAN WHAT? What are you measuring it in? Feet and inches? Try thinking about this logically for one tiny second. Pick a photo. Any photo. Tell us exactly what field of view it is showing in angular degrees. Then tell us again why the Earth should be larger.
    ...plus no stars! I have heard the argument of no stars because the sun is too bright, but then it does not stop the hubble seeing them, and I have seen videos of space with stars glowing.....from official sources.

Uh, the Hubble does not point at the Sun, or anything bright. Even at that, stray light from the Sun can interfere with it which is why it has a "Solar Blind Channel" that operates in the far-ultraviolet to let it see cosmic sources. It can't even point at the Earth as the minimum possible exposure would saturate the CCDs. The main issue with stars in photos is one of contrast. Go out and stare at a full moon in a dark sky -- you won't see many stars either, as your eye has very similar limitations with contrast as a camera. It's got nothing to do with "being in space" or not. That's a simple experiment you could do with your own eyes every single month.

The Earth DOES look all different from year to year.

I hate to be unkind and I'm a big believer in scientific curiosity but ... it gets my goat when people start making ignorant dogmatic assertions about "the way things ought to look" before they've bothered to educate themselves in the slightest. I know the modern trend is for people to believe they're entitled to their own hypotheses whether they know anything or not, but I'm going to suggest a little humility is in order too. Those websites "proving" space is fake have their own agendas, usually pecuniary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

Rather than open a new posthumous thread I'll just mention here that Bear sh1t (Beresheet) didn't make it.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47879538
    Or did make it, but faster than intended.

Advertisement