Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suzuki Samurai restoration project

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I'm watching this with great interest. I have one as a daily driver and its only a matter of time before I have to take it apart and do what you're doing. Either that or I'll sell it for something else stupid to drive every day :-)

Thanks man :) I would love to see a pic of yours, post it up! If you do ever get around to restoring it let me know! I'll be as much help as I can.
    Bigus wrote: »

That's cool alright. I would imagine it's scary fast :D

Low Range Off Road do a performance camshaft that I'm vaguely tempted to buy...Make it better able to keep up with traffic. Realistically funds are probably too tight.

Had another busy day today at the jeep. I got the shed and chassis cleaned. Got 2 coats or primer on the chassis. QV called down and got to work cleaning the rust of 2 of the leaf springs. Both of those are now in primer too :)

Pics will follow tomorrow.

So this is where we left off I think. Next job was to prime the chassis despite the little rust hole.

IMG_4170_zpso0dznmet.jpg

Chassis primed for the first coat

IMG_4171_zpsjs0yzhoo.jpg

IMG_4172_zps4yxxg50d.jpg

IMG_4174_zps3ppt4fyl.jpg

Two coats of primer on the chassis in the end. Should be enough I feel! Have to wait 3 days before applying the stone chip according to the instructions.

Next thing that was tackled was the springs with QVs help.

IMG_4217_zpscmps1spq.jpg

Here's QV himself working away :pac:

IMG_4180_zpssuiv2zp5.jpg

I gave him 2 wire brushes I thought were already worn out. He managed to get more life out of them and he swears he's not from Cavan :pac:

IMG_4175_zpsqbbjafwy.jpg

Here's a spring he finished cleaning.

IMG_4218_zpsn47vqpqk.jpg

Cleaned spring hanging up and waiting for paint.

IMG_4176_zpsusszo4i4.jpg

One spring in primer and one waiting paint.

IMG_4209_zpsirwtukji.jpg

In the mean time the chassis was welded up again and re-primed. No other pictures of the repair I'm afraid. The hole was just filled with weld and then grinder back smooth, It was just in the top left of this photo.

IMG_4272_zps2lqwfvfu.jpg

Next I got this bitchin' trolly to keep my tools on instead of keeping them on the floor. I love it anyway :D

IMG_4212_zpsis1tfrlc.jpg

IMG_4213_zpsdklsqgzk.jpg

We're almost up to date now, today I painted the colour coat onto the first 2 springs.

Coat one, just a light dusting so the next layer sticks.

IMG_4273_zpso9r5p1et.jpg

Each of the springs got 4 coats of paint total. Here's one finished with it's new Polyurethane bushes. :)

IMG_4275_zpsf81bbnvh.jpg

Time for a bit of an update again. Things have gone from strength to strength in the shed. The arrival of the trolly for my toolbox made it much more plush but I now have an old makeup table thingy too!!!:pac::pac:

I have the drawers for it also :P

IMG_4281_zpsb5divcsv.jpg

The primer needed three days minimum to dry according to the instructions before the next layer of paint could be added. And yes I actually read the instructions! The next paint to go on is this 2 part mastic from Bilt Hamber.

IMG_4293_zps8botkrtq.jpg

Here it is going on.

IMG_4292_zpsv00rcmwd.jpg

Once the "top" sides were finished I flipped the chassis over to do the bottom. I think I'll go for 2 coats total. As it stands at the moment the side of the chassis have 2 coats done but the top and bottom still need their second coat.

IMG_4309_zpsqcomwzvu.jpg

I put a bit of tape over the VIN so it wouldn't get hidden :)

IMG_4294_zpss1yhuhhv.jpg

Next job that was tackled was on the rear springs. There was a metal outer to the old bushes that stayed in the springs. As you can imagine they got well stuck in there over time with corrosion and dirt. I had to cut them with a hack saw and then smash out a small section before beating out the rest of them. Quick photo here of beating out the insert after cutting it.

IMG_4307_zps7evad0ge.jpg

The plan for next weekend is to hopefully;

Get the chassis fully painted.

Get the 2 remaining leaf springs prepared and painted and then get them reassembled onto the chassis!!! Then the fun will really start :cool:

An Australian friend of mind also brought some parts from the USA to me when he was coming. A lot of the stuff isn't needed for some time yet but it's good to have it :D:cool:

IMG_4310_zpsnsegpfo8.jpg

He also made a video of unboxing the stuff for me. I'll ask him if he minds me posting it :)

Hello again everyone. Sorry for not keeping this up to date. I've been tipping away slowly at the jeep the whole time but I've been busy with other stuff at late. Also I'm at the stage of prepping and painting suspension stuff which just takes for ever :mad:

Anyway. I stripped all the braking related stuff off the back axle so it can be prepared and painted.

IMG_4327_zps2p1udgtj.jpg

IMG_4328_zpscqcpndpu.jpg

For removing brake lines this is the only tool. I recommend everyone gets one!

IMG_4332_zpsqkirm997.jpg

Brake lines off.

IMG_4333_zps6hbsmmeb.jpg

Handbrake cables disconnected.

IMG_4329_zps9nrn0cf7.jpg

IMG_4326_zps3ljshru2.jpg

IMG_4331_zpsx8n1jcth.jpg

Next thing was to drain the oil from the diff. I wanted to do this before painting so that the paint wouldn't get chipped later. The bastards were very very tight. Much fire and swearing was required to open them. Didn't help that the prick that over tightened them rounded them out too. :rolleyes:

IMG_4380_zpscs1xwcgw.jpg

Finally got the fill out

IMG_4384_zpsqqbjshfg.jpg

Here's the tools that were needed to get it out :mad::rolleyes:

IMG_4381_zpsmxn7jlor.jpg

Oil draining.

IMG_4383_zpspoxpyxja.jpg

IMG_4385_zpszm5saj0w.jpg

The magnet on the drain plug didn't have too much metal on it. Hopefully that means the diff is healthy.

IMG_4387_zpsdsviktzt.jpg

Next thing was to grind the old paint off the anti roll bar.

IMG_4378_zps55qltrna.jpg

Anti roll bar waiting to get primer.

IMG_4379_zps1oqjhjzm.jpg

More springs being subjected to the grinder.

IMG_4375_zps4lcph3op.jpg

More primer on another spring too.

IMG_4377_zpsbe5hy48l.jpg

At the same time I got another delivery. The Chassis got all of it's cavities waxed. I've done the first coat of cavity wax and plan to do a second tomorrow.

Chassis still sitting in the shed as it was. I can't wait to start putting bits back on it. Just taking so long though :(

IMG_4334_zpsf18oxsac.jpg

IMG_4432_zpsl7t5xho3.jpg

IMG_4433_zpshtod3v9z.jpg

Got a few more small jobs done today. Didn't get pictures of all of them yet so expect another update soon. Also I'm going to try and update this more regularly as the work is done. It means I remember more and have a better record of what has happened to the car :)

First thing I did was paint a couple of coats of yellow onto the auto roll bar. Needs a couple of more coats tomorrow so I'll get pics then.

Next thing I did was mix up some Deox C. This is supposed to be great stuff for removing rust so here's hoping.

IMG_4551_zpspputg2ud.jpg

First job for it is the spring plates and U bolts for the back axle. Proper crusty:D

IMG_4552_zpsqfhonhmb.jpg

IMG_4553_zpseahgswln.jpg

After about an hour the liquid had already started to change colour. Hopefully there's some good results for me in the morning.

IMG_4557_zpsb85qdqb1.jpg

I also bought some gear oil. Not a brand I've hear of but it's all the motor factors had. Still fully synthetic and the correct grade/spec. Can't really go wrong.

IMG_4554_zpsgjwnzn2q.jpg

The rear diff takes 1.5L according to the Suzuki repair and maintenance manual, Usually you just fill gearboxes until the oil comes out the fill hole but since the diff isn't mounted in the car I just measured the oil in. I'll confirm the correct level again when it's back mounted to the chassis and on the correct level. This is the first litre measured out. I couldn't get a picture of filling it because I had to hold the funnel with my other hand:p

IMG_4555_zpsx6qqig3u.jpg

I also went to apply the second coat of cavity wax to the chassis but annoyingly the nozzle had blocked:mad::mad:. I cleared it out with a drop of petrol so it'll be good to go in the morning. :)

I don't know what the weather was like today in the rest of the country but it was pissing rain all day in Wicklow so sadly not very much was achieved.

I took the parts I had soaking in the Deox C out and gave them a quick rub with a wire brush. They've cleaned up a lot and I'm very impressed with the stuff. I put them in for another 24 hours to get them really clean. I've a lot more bolts and stuff to do after them too. :)

The liquid got really manky over night:

IMG_4570_zpsn1goybt2.jpg

Here's the parts cleaned up:

IMG_4571_zps55uitxar.jpg

Then after that I got the second coat of cavity wax into the chassis. Aside from drilling out a couple more sheered bolts the chassis is finally ready for reassembly. If we get some good weather in the evenings during the week I might get a chance to finish off the last of the springs and then reassembly can actually start. I really hope to be able to bolt something back together next weekend, I really need it for moral :(

166man came down this evening and gave me a hand with a bit of wire brushing. A bit of help is always good for morel, plus be bought me ice cream :D

I too the U bolts and related parts out of the deox C again and gave them a quick wire brush. Here's the result of that.

IMG_4574_zpscmw6qind.jpg

More than clean enough for parts that will be under an off road vehicle. :)

They then got a shot of the zinc primer on each side.

IMG_4575_zpsw0b1xzhf.jpg

IMG_4576_zpsbpkyo7by.jpg

Here's the U bolts from the front axle for a before and after.

IMG_4577_zpskpag86zt.jpg

166man then gave these a wire brushing. Hopefully that means the Deox C process will be a little faster than it was for the last set.

• Advertisement

I was going to work on the Jeep this evening after work but unfortunately I got delayed in work for 2 hours so the daylight was all wasted...

If I'm not going to get any actual work done I might as well update this thread!!!

Quite a bit has happened over the last while, a lot of hours but again it doesn't really look like much!

Time for the pictures (I've also got worse at taking lots of pictures!)

First, the continuation of painting the spring shackles and bolts.

IMG_4662_zpsjohjo687.jpg

Primed and ready for colour.

IMG_4652_zpslxxextz2.jpg

Colour coat on, I masked us the threads so they would still work properly. This is just a photo of the first batch I did, they are all finished like this now.

IMG_4651_zpsbj2p8lka.jpg

IMG_4657_zpsvq5thxzo.jpg

IMG_4658_zpszl3mp4kt.jpg

Then it was time to clean and paint the last leaf spring. Here it is, won't show the whole process because I've posted it before.

IMG_4702_zpswm0g66g0.jpg

Putting the bushes into said spring.

IMG_4664_zpsuncrd4hs.jpg

IMG_4665_zpsg4qh4idq.jpg

I then had an exciting moment! Fitting the first new parts to the chassis! Some bushes, Red rubber grease is essential.

IMG_4666_zpsc1ctimqi.jpg

IMG_4663_zpsf69qlt6w.jpg

IMG_4667_zpsjbwopkde.jpg

IMG_4671_zpsuiizyawp.jpg

166man came down yesterday afternoon and set to work with the grinder on the back axle.

IMG_4817_zpsq4dlaydk.jpg

IMG_4822_zpswfygxuu2.jpg

I then painted it up in it's first coat of primer.

IMG_4823_zpspheyb53p.jpg

The petrol tank protector thingy also got a tidy up recently. Again it was clean of all the old paint and rust. Then it was a few coats of ink primer and some semi matt black to finish. It still has a small dent in it but it's good enough for the underside of the car!

IMG_4780_zpsanolku76.jpg

IMG_4819_zpsdv4synur.jpg

IMG_4820_zpswg5bmed4.jpg

IMG_4821_zpscbxkus0o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

This is a credit to you DZ, keep up the superb work. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Looking good DZ, might want to pick a better image host than Photobucket though, all the original pictures have been lost and these ones will be aswell, Photobucket delete everything after a while.

Thargor wrote: »
    Looking good DZ, might want to pick a better image host than Photobucket though, all the original pictures have been lost and these ones will be aswell, Photobucket delete everything after a while.

I saw that the early photos are gone alright. :(

Do you have a suggestion for a better site?

The early photos were actually on pix.ie but it's gone now I think...

Imgur is probably the main one, my posts from 5-6 years ago are still intact with them, worth attaching them to each post with the paperclip icon aswell to make boards save them. Anything is better than Photobucket or Imageshack these days.

Thargor wrote: »
    Imgur is probably the main one, my posts from 5-6 years ago are still intact with them, worth attaching them to each post with the paperclip icon aswell to make boards save them. Anything is better than Photobucket or Imageshack these days.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go and see if it's better :)

Time for another update on one of the worlds slowest progressing projects :pac:

Some more back axle painting. A few coats of red on both sides.

IMG_4849_zpsqv8pco3f.jpg

IMG_4850_zpso1akajbu.jpg

IMG_4851_zpsr99jwp70.jpg

Then it was time to reassemble the back suspension. I have yet to order shocks but everything else is there. Back axle and the rear springs put into position.

IMG_4854_zpsgz3ezqjx.jpg

Bolts and shackles that will be needed.

IMG_4859_zpshqmgnjlu.jpg

The beginning of the reassembly!

IMG_4860_zpsja0omogx.jpg

Almost forgot to put in the bump stops! A reminder to always have the manual open.

IMG_4864_zpsiejiuofg.jpg

Microfibre towels to protect the axle from the jacks. Don't want to chip that paint!

IMG_4868_zps8lloabyu.jpg

IMG_4869_zpsfruzwnny.jpg

Getting the springs lined up.

IMG_4867_zpslnfx4ngb.jpg

Bolted in. So proud of myself I took loads of photos :D

IMG_4870_zpsx0c1tkvi.jpg

IMG_4871_zpsqtwi1smg.jpg

IMG_4872_zpsilgxfloz.jpg

Changed the oil in the front diff next. Just as hard to open as the rear one was. Heat and hammers was the order of the day again.

IMG_4831_zpsovlzazf7.jpg

IMG_4833_zps5zp1t2mw.jpg

IMG_4834_zpsew8j6r0k.jpg

Then I started prepping it for painting too. The grease has been seeping out of the seals for the last 20 odd years and made quite a mess!

IMG_4901_zpszdnqry6h.jpg

IMG_4903_zpszq85zcso.jpg

IMG_4902_zpsziccbjtj.jpg

I did get as far as taking to old paint off one side but I need more wire brushes for the grinder to finish it. Haven't taken any pictures of that yet... They'll be in a future update :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

No contribution, but i'm quite enjoying this. There's a nice attention to detail about it.

No contribution, but i'm quite enjoying this. There's a nice attention to detail about it.

Thanks man.

I'm going into way way more detail than I originally planned.... Keeps making progress slower and slower :D

The 166, 156 and CLK keep soaking up my money too :D:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Another great restoration project Zebra. I know it's an effort sometimes to stop and take pictures but it really brings the whole thing to life for all of us. Keep up the excellent work and why isn't RTE looking for people doing restos like this? A real time, real life project, without all the madness, side plots, predictable disasters and looming deadlines that usually accompany such programmes.

They could feature a number of different projects, jumping back and forth as progress dictates.

Anyway, great work and thanks again for all the effort in sharing it with us!

sogood wrote: »
    Another great restoration project Zebra. I know it's an effort sometimes to stop and take pictures but it really brings the whole thing to life for all of us. Keep up the excellent work and why isn't RTE looking for people doing restos like this? A real time, real life project, without all the madness, side plots, predictable disasters and looming deadlines that usually accompany such programmes.

They could feature a number of different projects, jumping back and forth as progress dictates.

Anyway, great work and thanks again for all the effort in sharing it with us!

Thanks for the kind words sir! :D

It would be great to have some sort of a show like that. A youtube series would be the place to start.

I have the next couple of days off work so hopefully I'll get around to doing some more work on the jeep. That's depending on the weather not being too sh!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Hi Ded_Zebra ,
    Any updates on this project as I was really enjoying the build.

All the projects I was following on Boards all seemed to die off a few months ago.

• Advertisement

Hi lads,

Glad you've been enjoying the build! Progress has been slow over winter. I'll post a few pics of the little bit that has been done. I think I lost some of the pics... So I'll explain what has been happening.

I finished stripping and cleaning the front axle. Then once that was done it was primed and painted red just like the rear one.

I also took apart the front brake callipers and left them to soak in Deox to remove all the rust. Once that was done I painted them black. Nice compared to the "race" yellow a previous owner painted them :D

I then cleaned up both the gearbox and the transfer box. Changed the oil in both of course and I also fitted new gear shift bushings in the gearbox. The change is tight and precise once again :)

I then mounted the front axle back on the chassis with the leaf springs.

I also such the transfer box back on.

I'll drip feed you the photos over the next couple of days, keep you entertained a little longer. :D:D

I'm uploading some pictures as I type this so I'll get some up soon :)

Gear box, transfer box and stripped front axle:

IMG_4934_zpsg0gagd7j.jpg

Fitting the new shift bushings:

IMG_4935_zpslmlbwbdj.jpg

IMG_4936_zpsqy2bis42.jpg

Stick out with one of the old bushings

IMG_4941_zpsaiahpjh8.jpg

The other bushing, you ca also see the "shifter bolt" is broken:

IMG_4942_zpseb4its4u.jpg

New shifter bolt, bushings and O ring.

IMG_4947_zps7tdttjjn.jpg

IMG_4948_zpsxmqgozre.jpg

Gearbox cleaned and masked up for paint :

IMG_4951_zpsz975u8ka.jpg

Painted aluminium silver:

IMG_4952_zpsjssri5e1.jpg

A before and after paint side by side:

IMG_4955_zps4cuducq7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wow the paint job on the gearbox in the last pic looks amazing.

Wow the paint job on the gearbox in the last pic looks amazing.

Cheers :)

the paint is really thin special aluminium paint so the aluminium keeps all of the texture of the casting etc. Looks like brand new freshly case aluminium.

I have uploaded a few more!

Filling the gear oil after the painting:

IMG_4959_zpstmgdpl0d.jpg

Painting the stick is also important ;)

IMG_4960_zps0tx69t6k.jpg

IMG_4969_zpsmauk5pn1.jpg

Transfer box

IMG_4965_zpswkiyyre4.jpg

both boxes all finished :)

IMG_4977_zps0zthhyjy.jpg

Transfer box back in its home for the next 30 years :)

IMG_5551_zpssfua0ful.jpg

I've forgotten where this next piece actually goes... I think it is something to do with protecting the fuel filler neck where it passes through the wheel well. I suppose I'll find out during re-assembly :pac:

IMG_4972_zpsepyhsbei.jpg

IMG_4974_zpsv0ke2tc8.jpg

IMG_4975_zpsibabjzhx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Love it. That aluminum paint is class!

I told you you have a natural ability for painting things ;)

Next thing was the front axle.

Here it is fully wire brushed:

IMG_4978_zps0xsteqg1.jpg

After a few coats of primer:

IMG_4980_zpsmegrxawg.jpg

First couple of coats of red going on:

IMG_5066_zpsll4msaor.jpg

Then I got side tracked with the front brake callipers :pac: they had got fair crusty over the years.

IMG_5068_zpswu27kt89.jpg

IMG_5069_zpsbnaqh0jc.jpg

Pistons in reasonable condition:

IMG_5070_zpssizbdgg8.jpg

They were also treated to a good soaking in Deox C and then painted black:

IMG_5137%201_zpsezlwrjtw.jpg

Refitted the brake lines onto the rear axle. The front axle is still existing it it's 1/2 painted state at this stage :p I got bored with all the painting.

IMG_5134_zpspwiccn8h.jpg

I really wish I had a lift! Needed to jack the chassis to move the supporting wheels back so I can fit the front axle. The chassis without the axles are not at all heavy, 2 people can lift it handy enough! The jacks were just needed so I out move it by myself.

IMG_5552_zpsmhvdjnb5.jpg

I have lost the photos of finishing the painting of the front axle. Here it is anyway being reunited with the chassis.

IMG_5553_zpsgvu3j8zy.jpg

IMG_5554_zpscat9zu42.jpg

IMG_5557_zpsupaodi3m.jpg

That's all folks, you are now bang up to date on progress :) I'm hoping to potter away this weekend if I have a little time! So hopefully I'll have something more to add soon.

Hey Ded Zebra I know it's been a while but any update on this project?
    I had been enjoying it and i don't know what brought it into my head just now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ded Zebra has been off boards for over a year.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ded Zebra has been off boards for over a year.

Thanks Colm, didn't notice that.

Advertisement