Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancient rock art damaged by ice

Options
  • 16-01-2019 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

I have a question for those that might know better.

What is the primary theory regarding the weathering damage on the rock art on Drumcoggy? Hill.

Is it true Rock Art?
    Or marks left behind by Limpets when these rocks were submerged?

Have heard recently a theory that the rock art predates the last glacial period, hence the linear damage/markings over the circular marks.

Can anybody expand on this idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Have heard recently a theory that the rock art predates the last glacial period,
    Oh really CF? If it is rock art then that's a pretty big deal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Hey Wibbs,

I thought the same too.
    But personally I reckon the damage seen is possible due to natural weathering,

Either that, or the circular makings could have been made by limpets or suchlike.

See pic attached

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Another picture

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I have a question for those that might know better.

What is the primary theory regarding the weathering damage on the rock art on Drumcoggy? Hill.

Is it true Rock Art?
    Or marks left behind by Limpets when these rocks were submerged?

Have heard recently a theory that the rock art predates the last glacial period, hence the linear damage/markings over the circular marks.

Can anybody expand on this idea?
    There is a wide consensus that the marks are deliberately fashioned petroglyphs.
    Their occurrence at such an altitude - around 380m OD is unique and unusual. There is a strong possibility that similar panels exist elsewhere, or even close by and at similar altitudes. The Drumcoggy panels were identified by Colm Jordan in 1995. Jordan was a geologist working for the Geological Survey at the time and would have had good reason to stray off the beaten track. It was a chance find in a huge area.
    The most significant challenge to identifying further rock art panels is blanket bog which could easily obscure or completely cover further examples. It is possible or that other examples exist but locating them would require a specific set of conditions (exposure, preservation, suitable light etc.) and footfall coverage of vast spaces by people experienced in recognising petroglyphs. That could take a very long time and a lot of resources.
    The Drumcoggy rock art is understood to date to the Early Neolithic: possibly a precursor to the petroglyphs of the passage tombs. They definitely do not pre-date the last glaciation.
    There are glacial striae and other imperfections on the panel. These are thought to have been deliberately incorporated into parts of the overall design. Similar incorporations are evident in other rock art panels, particularly in the south western groups.

Christiaan Corlett wrote about the Drumcoggy rock art.
    See:
    Corlett, C. (1999) Rock Art on Drumcoggy Mountain, Co. Mayo. Journal of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society, Vol 51.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

slowburner wrote: »
    The Drumcoggy rock art is understood to date to the Early Neolithic: possibly a precursor to the petroglyphs of the passage tombs. They definitely do not pre-date the last glaciation.

Ah feck...
    881235.jpg

Well, I still have my hopes up that someday... :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement