Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday

• 28-03-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

You know yourself. No pubs open. We'll all die of the thirst.

Are the Banks open?

Are nightclubs open?

Do An Post deliver?

Why aren't the butchers closed?

There are no answers......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Name should be done under The Trades Description Act imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Home brew & home grown, self sufficiency rules, fúck Good Friday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I'm always abroad on Good Friday. I'll be chilling in a pub somewhere. Sucks to be the rest ye drowning in your hordes of alcomohols purchased from the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's ridiculously outdated. You can buy alcohol in Rome on Good Friday but not in Ireland. Why has this nonsense not been done away with? Judging by the amount of house parties every year I'm guessing more booze is consumed on that day than any other day of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'll be tucking in to a nice bacon butty on Good Friday morning followed by a big lump of ham for dinner washed down with lashings of beer.

Oh, wait...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Good friday this year means the game I want is releasing a day early so :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm always abroad on Good Friday. I'll be chilling in a pub somewhere. Sucks to be the rest ye drowning in your hordes of alcomohols purchased from the night before.

Don't forget Dunnes staff are picketing on Thursday so that'll be a hassle. I'll be getting the Easter booze on Wednesday this year.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I work in a pub and we are in on good friday....for 'Cleaning'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

The Pub, one of those places that AH posters won't visit because they are too expensive, but who seem to get mortally offended when they close for two days a year. Those places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

The Pub, one of those places that AH posters won't visit because they are too expensive, but who seem to get mortally offended when they close for two days a year. Those places.

Perhaps they buy their booze in the off licenses which are also closed. Maybe they just don't like having religious rules that they don't ascribe to dictating any aspects of their life. I certainly don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I abstain from alcohol that day to piss off the atheists and eat steak to piss off the Christians.

It always makes me proud to live in a country where the unavailability of alcohol for sale for a 24 hours causes so much outrage and consternation. I mean, if this what concerns us most, then we must have solved every other problem of modern life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Perhaps they buy their booze in the off licenses which are also closed. Maybe they just don't like having religious rules that they don't ascribe to dictating any aspects of their life. I certainly don't.

Maybe they just like to bitch and moan about every single thingy? Like my my post is doing!!

Used to be a great day for getting work done in the pub in what would be an otherwise crappy Friday. Fridays of long weekends are always slow, I bet if they open up next year the pubs will be mad to close again the year after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Maybe they just don't like having religious rules that they don't ascribe to dictating any aspects of their life. I certainly don't.

Me too.

I also boycott Easter, Christmas, Paddy's Day etc. and insist in turning up for work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Me too.

I also boycott Easter, Christmas, Paddy's Day etc. and insist in turning up for work

This is absolutely hashtagmadness, but there's a difference between religious holidays and religious legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I bet if they open up next year the pubs will be mad to close again the year after.

Thats a large part of the issue though. They wont have to be "mad to close". They would be free to open or close if they chose. Just like all the other days in the year, the way it should be. Owner should be able to choose when to open (or stay closed)

What if the rule was no electricity on Good friday, would people be so dismissive then? Sure you have it the other 364 days.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ebery Friday is TGIF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,648 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hopefully the last year of it

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/frances-fitzgerald-consider-lifting-good-5412887
    Frances Fitzgerald will consider lifting the ban on drinking on Good Friday in time for the 1916 commemorations.

Thats a large part of the issue though. They wont have to be "mad to close". They would be free to open or close if they chose. Just like all the other days in the year, the way it should be. Owner should be able to choose when to open (or stay closed)

What if the rule was no electricity on Good friday, would people be so dismissive then? Sure you have it the other 364 days.....
    Well, if every household in the country had a method of storing electricity for use at a later date there wouldn't be any problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well, if every household in the country had a method of storing electricity for use at a later date there wouldn't be any problem.

Theres this up and coming company called Duracell, buy some shares :)

I suppose they could buy a generator to use once a year.

Or the ESB could realise its the 21st century and just leave the switch on ...............

TBH, you shouldn't HAVE TO do that. I'm not religious, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to go to a pub on Good Friday if I so please. I'm always in England for Good Friday and when I told them over there that the pubs don't open in Ireland, they were shocked. They actually thought I was a having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,366 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What about a "Stay in bed Friday"?
    Now that would delight me.
    Might even do it tomorrow.

They could buy a generator to use once a year.

Or the ESB could realise its the 21st century and just leave the switch on ...............
    Or it might be a stupid outdated law that would be worthwhile getting outraged about.

But that's the thing about stupid outdated laws, people usually get themselves all worked up in a tizzy about the wrong ones. It would be hilarious if it wasn't a bit lugubrious.

TBH, you shouldn't HAVE TO do that. I'm not religious, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to go to a pub on Good Friday if I so please. I'm always in England for Good Friday and when I told them over there that the pubs don't open in Ireland, they were shocked. They actually thought I was a having a laugh.
    My local hardware stores closes two days a year for stocktaking. It's an outrage in this day and age. Why should I have to buy a sheet of 8x4 24 hours in advance of needing it, or drive into Derry for a tube of silicone.

I'm so enraged I could moan incessantly on the internet about it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Chucken wrote: »
    Good Friday

You know yourself. No pubs open. We'll all die of the thirst.

Are the Banks open?

Are nightclubs open?

Do An Post deliver?

Why aren't the butchers closed?

Does pussy count as meat or fish?

So many questions.......

My local hardware stores closes two days a year for stocktaking. It's an outrage in this day and age. Why should I have to buy a sheet of 8x4 24 hours in advance of needing it, or drive into Derry for a tube of silicone.

I'm so enraged I could moan incessantly on the internet about it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That's one hardware store....

All pubs close on the same day.I'm not enraged, I just think it's backwards and stupid in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,648 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What about a "Stay in bed Friday"?
    Now that would delight me.
    Might even do it tomorrow.

Tomorrow is Sunday :confused:

For the want of a nail..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

That's the problem with alcohol, you have to buy it when you want to use it or it is gone past its best before date.
    It's such a perishable item.The milk last longer, as does the bread. Alcohol should be made so it doesn't go off so quickly...
    Isn't this the problem with off licenses being closed?

The outrage is so justified, given how perishable alcohol is... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

none of that nonsense here in England thank God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Do you leave the country on purpose just cos its good Friday?

That's one hardware store....

All pubs close on the same day.I'm not enraged, I just think it's backwards and stupid in this day and age.
    If there's only one of something, how many are there when you take one away?:pac:

But that's not the point. Yeah, it's a stupid law that should be overturned.

Worth getting annoyed about? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Bad analogy. Alcohol is a necessity, electricity is a luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Thank who?

Chucken wrote: »
    Do you leave the country on purpose just cos its good Friday?

Yes, I am so outraged that I go abroad every year. That'll learn them. Fcuk the goberment.
    If there's only one of something, how many are there when you take one away?:pac:

But that's not the point. Yeah, it's a stupid law that should be overturned.

Worth getting annoyed about? No.

That's what you get for living in the bog! Fair enough.

Ye must have a great friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good Friday should also be National alcoholics remembrance day, a day to remember people who drink too much, who obsess about alcohol too much and who died due to their addiction.

Not sponsored by Diageo or any other alcohol company.

Yes, I am so outraged that I go abroad every year. That'll learn them. Fcuk the goberment.

That's what you get for living in the bog! Fair enough.
    If some of ye spent as much time in the bog as me it ye might see the world a wee bit differently. :)

• Advertisement

If some of ye spent as much time in the bog as me it ye might see the world a wee bit differently. :)

Was on it for a half hour this morn, rusty water job :(

:P

Are you enraged over the turf cutting laws and them green b@stards in Europe imposing there mumbo jumbo 'save the environment' crap on us?

Well, are ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Its only one day.If some people want to moan about drink on good Friday and don't have the wherewithal to purchase it in advance then those people probably shouldn't be drinking at all.That said,if you really want a drink on good Friday you'll get one.Train stations are an old favourite of the really thirsty but you must buy a ticket,and these are expensive.Greyhound tracks also serve on good Friday and you'll get into the dogs for a fraction of the price of a train ticket and I imagine its much more fun than sitting in Heuston.But the best,tried and tested way to ensure free flowing drink for the entire day at minimal cost is to befriend a barman.

Are you enraged over the turf cutting laws and them green b@stards in Europe imposing there mumbo jumbo 'save the environment' crap on us?

Well, are ya?
    Na.

The type of bog we have is different to the type they want conserved, cutting turf has very little environmental impact on blanket bog. Illegal dumping and sheep farming are the biggest dangers. I'll just keep cutting until I'm told to stop. Maybe.:)

sheep farming are the biggest dangers.

Have ye any grass up there at all to say the sheep are eating turf?

Have ye any grass up there at all to say the sheep are eating turf?
    The sheep are eating grass, growing where the heather has been burned off, making the wee grouse and larks homeless. :(

yeah this thread has taken an unexpected turn.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

kfallon wrote: »

Not really :D

kfallon wrote: »

Its all relevant to good friday.

Na.

The type of bog we have is different to the type they want conserved, cutting turf has very little environmental impact on blanket bog. Illegal dumping and sheep farming are the biggest dangers. I'll just keep cutting until I'm told to stop. Maybe.:)

Some blanket bogs are protected, it's not just raised bogs. Tbh, it's Bord Na Mona that is causing the most damage to bogs rather than Joe soap going and cutting his turf for the winter. Their argument is that the bogs they cut from cannot be salvaged and therefore there's no point in ceasing cutting.

Annnnnnyyyyway, back on topic. More drink!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement