Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone done the MSc Management in Smurfit

Options
  • 28-03-2015 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering about the summer semester, they've given us no details. I wanna go away during it (and actively miss class) but not if it's going to be mental.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

errlloyd wrote: »
    Just wondering about the summer semester, they've given us no details. I wanna go away during it (and actively miss class) but not if it's going to be mental.

I'm signed up for the Part Time one over two years starting in Sept. Going to be honest, the communication from them is fairly poor and they leave a lot of questions unanswered. To their credit however, they are fairly sharp to return calls and emails if you are specific with their question.

I asked before about missing a weekend (Its 4 per semester) and they were not overly happy about it unless it was unavoidable. Probably different for a year long course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Oh they're definitely not happy about it. They specifically told us at the start of the course that we shouldn't book any holidays apart from during Christmas break.

But honestly, the course is a little easier than I expected. I know I can afford to miss a week if the format for semester 3 is anything like semesters 1 and 2. The problem is we have no information on the sem 3 format. Someone said that we do the 4 modules in 3 week blocks (one module per block) and each three week block consists of one intensive week of lectures and two study weeks then an exam.

(In which case I really don't wanna miss the intensive lecture week)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Doing a different PT masters at Smurfit, and agree that the communication and details around the summer semester leave *a lot* to be desired

Doing a different PT masters at Smurfit, and agree that the communication and details around the summer semester leave *a lot* to be desired

Any review for the course? Just curious as I'm starting in Sept. Whats the workload like? Manageable?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RichTea123

Hi guys,

I applied for this course yesterday, does anyone know how long it will roughly take before I find out if I am accepted or not?

The automatic email said applications will be considered as soon as they are submitted but would this mean it takes 2 weeks, 4 weeks or longer? I just want to know how long I have to worry for!!

Thank you

• Advertisement

RichTea123 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I applied for this course yesterday, does anyone know how long it will roughly take before I find out if I am accepted or not?

The automatic email said applications will be considered as soon as they are submitted but would this mean it takes 2 weeks, 4 weeks or longer? I just want to know how long I have to worry for!!

Thank you

Going on my experience last year, I would wait 2 weeks and if you hear nothing, I would contact them by phone or email. They can be very busy and genuinely miss the chance to get in touch.

However, you are most likely on a waiting list. Last year, I know I was as the course is very quickly booked out and usually over subscribed. My application from last year was forwarded to this year along with, I think, 15 others.

A good idea would to have a few 'plan Bs' in case you don't get in and want to pursue something in this calendar year.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RichTea123

ironclaw wrote: »
    Going on my experience last year, I would wait 2 weeks and if you hear nothing, I would contact them by phone or email. They can be very busy and genuinely miss the chance to get in touch.

However, you are most likely on a waiting list. Last year, I know I was as the course is very quickly booked out and usually over subscribed. My application from last year was forwarded to this year along with, I think, 15 others.

A good idea would to have a few 'plan Bs' in case you don't get in and want to pursue something in this calendar year.

Hi ironclaw,

Thanks a million for your reply. That has put me at ease as I didn't want to be coming across as too desperate by emailing or calling them too soon,

If I don't hear anything from them by the end of next week I will pop them an email and take it from there. I'll also take a look at other courses just to be on the safe side,

Hope you enjoy the course,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 my username

Hi, is anyone doing/has done this part time? Is it a full day schedule on the Friday and Saturday?

Hi, is anyone doing/has done this part time? Is it a full day schedule on the Friday and Saturday?

My understanding is the schedule is released in July, and its an entire day Friday and Saturday. As such if you are working full time, you'll likely need to take the Friday off.

Advertisement