Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC First Year 2015/16

Options
  • 22-03-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Just wondering what the best accomodation is for first years? Hoping to study Criminology in September!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

UCC has lovely campus accommodation. You'll get info here: http://www.ucc.ie/en/accom/

You should make contact with them soon if you're interested because the UCC owned accommodation is very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

For your first year, college accom is fantastic. You don't have to worry about what bills are in whose names or actually finding a specific house and dealing with landlords. Everything is through the same entity, so it can be very nice. You won't have many loud parties or anything, but you have classmates houses for that! :)

Accom in Cork is in extremely high demand, so the sooner you can get in and get everything confirmed the better. I mean have the website loaded and all documentation on had the minute the CAO results are in and apply for the accom you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bredacq

If you are even contemplating going to UCC put a deposit down on something ASAP. You will get most of it back (minus €50 or so) if you cancel in writing by the date they tell you (which for 1st years is a few days after the results come out).

All the privately owned student accomodation complexes (not house lets) are taking deposits at the moment.

UCC owned student accomodation complexes i.e. Castlewhite, University Hall, Vitoria Lodge and Aras Ui Thuama (the Irish speaking option) aren't taking bookings yet. They should be opened up any day though and when they do (keep and eye on the website) they will fill up fast.
    DO NOT wait until the CAO offers come out, you run the risk of not getting into either the UCC owned or the privately owned complexes (which are more suitable than shared houses or digs for most first years)

Brookfield village (privately owned) is popular with first years (7mins walk from the main camous, the Boole Basement lecture halls and the Boole library) and it is filling up fast (I spoke to them today). You will need to print off the form and attach a photo and send/take it to them with your €300 deposit (if you give written/emailed notice of cancellation to them before 5pm on Aug 14th you will get €250 of it back).

There are other privately owned student accomodation buildings/villages that are also popular with 1st years, I.e Victoria Mills, Cork Student Village, Farranlea Hall etc. etc. Google "UCC accomodation first year guide" and you will get a list and map of what and where they are, it's for 2014/15 but it should be the same for 15/16.

You will need to put down a deposit for them (usually €200 or €300) and if you don't end up getting an offer for UCC or decide not to go there you can cancel in writing/email by some date during the week that the CAO offers come out, and you will get back most of your deposit back (minus an admin fee of usually €50 or €75). However like I said Brookfield needs to be cancelled by Aug 14 and the CAO offers probably won't be out until Aug 17th. So watch that.

I realise that you are probably busy studying for your Leaving Cert right now but try and do a bit of research on the accomodation websites, decide what you want and put a deposit down so that you won't be disappointed in September. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

You should really just ring the accommodation office. Dave will sort you out there he's sound.

You should really just ring the accommodation office. Dave will sort you out there he's sound.

I spoke to a woman there before, and yeah they are very helpful. Got sorted with Brookfield. They said they are closing down the bookings tomorrow (Thurs Apr 2nd) by the way as they have so many already.

Edit: By the way the number of the accomodation office is 021 4902475

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 michele101

Hey I have a quick question, if Brookfield aren't taking bookings anymore now, will they be taking them again after the leaving cert results? I wish I booked it!! So annoyed with myself now ahhh

Call them on 021 4344032.

I'm sure not everyone who has put down a deposit will end up going to UCC or even Cork. However, I don't know if they already have taken that into consideration by over booking or creating a waiting list.

The only way to know for sure is to call them.

Advertisement