Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAD jewellery design/software learning

Options
  • 19-03-2015 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I don't know if I've posted this in the right section.
    I'm looking for some information on how to do a CAD jewellery design/software course somewhere in Ireland.

From all my research on Google, it seems to only be in England, and not provided at all in Ireland.
    All that Ireland provides is goldsmithing, metal work and bead work, and I'm awful at making stuff my hand, and have no interest in physically making something.

I'm currently studying 2D & 3D CAD at the moment, and was thinking of going into architecture through that, but from this course I've started to realise that its unrealistic without an architectural technology degree to my name and I was thinking of going into jewellery design a few months before starting the course.

If people could even give me a suggestion on what I could/should do, I would highly appreciate it, I'm at a brick wall at this stage!
    Thank you for your time reading this.
    S.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

CAD is great for designing machinery. Things like engines with precise geometric forms. Since most CAD is parametric, and typically constrained to Cartesian space, it's not necessarily easy to make more the organic shapes you find in jewellery.

Blender is a rather nice (free) 3D modelling package that may be more suitable. Here is an example:
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?269369-Jewelry-Design-Tutorial-Creating-a-model-for-a-3D-printer

I can't advise on any particular course other than perhaps consider something online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've been making a cross in 3D Max for a friends anniversary to be 3d printed in silver.

As 5uspect said, learning a 3d package would be a good start, and maybe doing some 3d printing.

The big 3d print-on-demand companies are:

Shapeways.com
    Sculpteo.com
    cubify.com

There's others too. Check them out and see what kind of jewelry people are making in 3d and having printed.

I'll say one thing from my very limited experience... its not as easy as it looks...

Advertisement