Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about OFA refresher course

Options
  • 25-03-2015 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I completed a Fetac Level 5 OFA course in 2012. This time last year I was looking into doing a refresher course and someone in a voluntary responder organisation told me the certification lasts for three years. I actually felt a but silly for trying to recertify a whole year in advance! Doing a bit of research now that 3 years is almost up and I think they were wrong. It's two years isn't it? Really annoyed.

Does this mean that my only option is to complete the full course again?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

According to this page, yes.

Refresher Training

Each person who successfully completes a QQI Level 5 Occupational First Aid Course must attend an OFA one-day refresher course within two years of the date of training of their original OFA course in order to maintain their status as an Occupational First Aider. The course is a minimum of 8 hours and for a maximum of 10 learners.

All learners must provide evidence of previous OFA training in order to attend this course. All OFA instructors will require a copy of the letter and/or certificate given to the learner on their previous OFA course which clearly states the dates of the aforementioned training and a copy of their QQI Level 5 OFA Certificate. The date on the QQI certificate is NOT to be used. This date could be at least 4 months after the OFA course took place. If the learner is unable to provide evidence of pevious training then they are not allowed to attend the one-day refresher course.

All learners attending a one-day refresher must receive a certificate of attendance from their OFA Instructor. This certificate must clearly state the date the training was completed on and the learners QQI certificate number.

If the learner is attending a one-day refresher after two years there is a 90-day grace period. For example if a learner attended an OFA course on 30th September 2011 then they must attend a one-day refresher on or before 28th December 2013.

If a learner has exceeded the two years and 90 days then they will have to attend the 3-day course again.

Advertisement