Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which scope

Options
  • 23-03-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking to get a refractor APO I'm looking at either the Takahashi TSA-102
    Or the Williams GT 102 any one know what the difference is besides price,
    Will be used mainly for visual with a little bit if astrophotography

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭itsme1284

anyone have any recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

itsme1284 wrote: »

I suppose it all depends on how much of a seasoned observer you are.

To a newcomer, unused to observing and picking out details, they might not notice any difference at all between either.

On the other hand, seasoned observers would row til they are blue in the face about which is better. Check out this thread on CN, about the GT102, and the SV102. http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/449518-william-optics-gt102-triplet-vs-stellarvue-102mm/

Both the Tak, and the WO have FPL-53 glass, at least one element anyway, and if you can find any Strehl guarantees for the Tak, that would explain the price difference. Focusers are also a part that can explain the difference. I have had 3 different 80mm doublets in my hand at one time, a Skywatcher, an Altair Astro, and an Astro-Professional, and the Astro-Professional had by far the best focuser.

I have a WO 72 Megrez, and it gives very similar (quality) views to my Skywatcher 80ED, nothing to separate them.

Hope this helps a little, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭itsme1284

itsme1284 wrote: »

Hi thanks for the advice,
    I went for the williams flt110mm 2013 model with diaganol got it for a good price I think from williams optics, 1780 euro including duty and vat. It's a new scope they had a few on offer at half price

Advertisement