Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedreading tips

Options
  • 16-03-2015 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Anyone know any good speedreading resources/tips.
    Some people say that even when you do speedread it affects how you fully absorb the material.

Reason I ask is I find myself with more and more ebooks bought but as yet unread from the kindle store.
    So even though I've something like ten ebooks half-read at the moment I can't stop myself purchasing "just one more". :D

I need to sort this out.
    I can do maybe a book a week (with other commitments eg work etc) at the very best.
    But it's the disconnect between wanting to absorb this stuff and the speed of reading that's frustrating me.
    Anyone else have this.
    And any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

The best speed reader on the planet was a guy called Steve Austin (not the wrestler), he was a former astronaut, who, when re-entering earths orbit, crashed, almost killing himself. Luckily, the government were able to rebuild him, they had the technology and at a cost of 6 million dollars (remember this was the seventies and a considerable sum then) were able to make the worlds first bionic man. His bionic eye was capable of reading entire books by merely flipping through the book with his thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

Try finding some evelyn wood speed reading books online.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hi
    Anyone know any good speedreading resources/tips.
    Some people say that even when you do speedread it affects how you fully absorb the material.

Reason I ask is I find myself with more and more ebooks bought but as yet unread from the kindle store.
    So even though I've something like ten ebooks half-read at the moment I can't stop myself purchasing "just one more". :D

I need to sort this out.
    I can do maybe a book a week (with other commitments eg work etc) at the very best.
    But it's the disconnect between wanting to absorb this stuff and the speed of reading that's frustrating me.
    Anyone else have this.
    And any ideas.

Okay so you have books that are half-read <- Are they not to your taste ; not your interest anymore?
    Maybe research before you purchase and ensure you discipline yourself to finish what you start.

Reading is fun & easy if the materials are of interest. I've started books, but put them down ; if still un-opened a week later, then off to the Charity-Shop they go for someone who may gain from having & reading them.

Could the disconnect between wanting to absorb and the speed of reading just be down to the topics you are reading ; down to the subject matters ; down to the general interest just not being there.
    Maybe try books somewhat different to what you currently have and see if that helps you out,

Happy Reading,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joollyparo

search the phrase "speedreading .pdf" on google and lot of free pdf will be available for download.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Could the disconnect between wanting to absorb and the speed of reading just be down to the topics you are reading ; down to the subject matters ; down to the general interest just not being there.
    Maybe try books somewhat different to what you currently have and see if that helps you out,

kerry4sam

This is a great shout, every time I go on a beach type holiday I head to the library to get 3-4 books, ranging from books I definitely wanted to read (e.g. about politics to economics) to the books that I know are extremely easy for me to devour (sports, especially sport autobiographies).

The way I do it is start with the easiest book (could be the smallest or most silly sports book) and progress to more difficult to read stuff. The result is that I kind of attune to reading and my reading speed increases as my eyes and brain get into their own rhythm.

Alternatively, one handy tip is to run your finger or a pen down the middle of the page very slowly and force yourself to read as fast as it takes for you to follow it. If you do it for 10 pages your eyes will gradually be able to scan to the left and right of the page in order to keep up.

BUT

My number 1 tip is:

NEVER re-read a sentence. If you do this then you have wasted your own time and you will never be able to read quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 GoingBonkers

What an idiot, just looked up the 6 million dollar man to see if it was true haha. Now I feel dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

joollyparo wrote: »
    search the phrase "speedreading .pdf" on google and lot of free pdf will be available for download.

but, but, but wouldn't they take a long time to read?

:D:p

Advertisement