Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stag - Munich

• 28-07-2014 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Seriously considering having my stag in Munich next year.
    Good beer/good people/good city/good beer/great beer gardens/savage beer halls ;)

For anyone thats been on a stag there, can you recommend a decent hotel for a load of lads that wont break the bank?
    Typical stag hotel - somewhere to put the head down for a few hours, is clean, cheap and good location. Once its not a kip basically!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was at a stag in Munich a few years back and we started in the Leonardo. Very nice spot, clean, good showers and beds and the price was decent. There are a few of then so make sure ye all book into the same one unlike I did. Nothing worse than being hammered drunk at 8am just dying for a sleep to be told you're booked in on the one on the other side of the city. Great weekend all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Cheers.
    Munich seems to be the only city none of my mates have been to. So we're all going in blind.

Any places to avoid can you remember? Ie the Temple Bar or Munich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

yeah I can second the Leonardo hotel.
    Leonardo Hotel Munchen City Center (as opposed to Munchen City West)

I stayed there also for a stag. Its a lovely modern hotel in a decent location
    Its got a nice wee bar aswell where you can get the party started.

We went to the Kultfabrik one of the nights. Its a big area full of bars/strip clubs and dance clubs. Its a bit of a kip though. I kind of wished we spent more time in the beer halls. They are way more fun.

We also went go karting in this place outside of the city. Decent size track with fast electric powered karts. The only thing is that its a bit of a pain to get to. We got a few taxis and it worked out about 30 euro a man each way! A minibus would probably be a better option. http://www.kartpalast.de/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

We went for 5 nights and stayed in the eurohostel. Basic enough but it'd have been a great stag even if we never left the hostel. Bar was hopping, great laugh there. Went to fruelingfest (mini octoberfest, opening evening good for a taste but less so any other time), kultfabrik and most of the main beer halls. The hostel bar was best though.

5 nights? I'd be dead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

The biergartens are the best craic in Munich. Can't go wrong with these http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/germany/munich/9346352/Munichs-best-beer-gardens.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Fluxfan wrote: »
    The biergartens are the best craic in Munich. Can't go wrong with these http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/germany/munich/9346352/Munichs-best-beer-gardens.html
    if you only see the places mentioned there then you'll be doing grand.

Theres a good few of them a spitting distance from the main station so a quite practical itinerary too.

I could point out other places, but for large groups you'd just not get a place to sit there, and most bars dont have standing areas

for clubs theres a few places a bit out from the main station but relatively near the hostel/ leonardo city - but hitting those before 1am is a waste of time.

Alright lads, going to bump this as i've been slacking!

Need to start booking a hotel or hostel for my stag shortly. Dont want to put the lads through a huge expense as the flights are pricey enough, so im tryingto balance things, so any advice is great appreciated.
    Has anyone booked apartments/flats in Munich?? Somewhere that could sleep groups of 5/6 etc?

maybe check out the euro youth hostel
    http://www.euro-youth-hotel.de/
    now, some folks have a thing that they only stay in hotels, but modern day hostels are actually grand places to stay in once you have the room to yourself and theres onsuite bathrooms.
    The euro youth, jaegers, and wombats are beside each other opposite the main station so you wont get more central. All have their own reasonably priced bars so are good craic in themselves

maybe check out the euro youth hostel
    http://www.euro-youth-hotel.de/
    now, some folks have a thing that they only stay in hotels, but modern day hostels are actually grand places to stay in once you have the room to yourself and theres onsuite bathrooms.
    The euro youth, jaegers, and wombats are beside each other opposite the main station so you wont get more central. All have their own reasonably priced bars so are good craic in themselves

Cheers. Appreciate that.
    Yeah i just checked those places, they look alright actually.
    Are they safe/secure like?

I'd generally be one of those lads that prefers hotels, but something like that might just fit the bill. All look clean anyway. There's a chance my old man and uncles might come, all around 50, you think they'd be alright!!!???

We'd def need a fw rooms to ourselves, as i reckon there might be 20 approx going.

• Advertisement

Lashed off a few emails and Wombats came back and have availability for the dates im looking for. Very reasonable also.
    Seems like a decent spot from what i can see online.

So its def a runner :)

Slattsy wrote: »
    Cheers. Appreciate that.
    Yeah i just checked those places, they look alright actually.
    Are they safe/secure like?

I'd generally be one of those lads that prefers hotels, but something like that might just fit the bill. All look clean anyway. There's a chance my old man and uncles might come, all around 50, you think they'd be alright!!!???

We'd def need a fw rooms to ourselves, as i reckon there might be 20 approx going.
    the beauty of those hostels is that theres a half dozen hotels within 100m, and at least 60 more within a 5 to 10 minute walk
    So even if your party is split between budget (hostel) and comfort(hotel) you're still all right beside each other.

For a weekend in Febuary you can get in the NH hotel for €40 per person per night (sharing a twin) which is 5 minute walk away, or €45pppn for the Leonardo which is literally directly opposite the 3 hostels. Both really really nice hotels.
    And a hostel on the same weekend would cost €22 per person per night.

I'd say the hostel is grand and safe and even suitable for older folks, so long as you maybe got a room with non bunks for them sure they wouldnt really know the difference between the hostel and a 2star hotel or a b+b in Ireland.
    I stayed in a hostel with a football group recently in northern germany and there was families and whole groups of 50somethings there in the place

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Stayed in Wombats on a stag last year. Was perfect for what we needed. Train station 5 mins walk away. Around 8 to a room I think. Make sure to go to the Augustiner Keller. About 20 mins walk from the Hostel. We were there a night Bayern were playing at home and it was full off supporters from both teams. Great craic altogether!

the beauty of those hostels is that theres a half dozen hotels within 100m, and at least 60 more within a 5 to 10 minute walk
    So even if your party is split between budget (hostel) and comfort(hotel) you're still all right beside each other.

For a weekend in Febuary you can get in the NH hotel for €40 per person per night (sharing a twin) which is 5 minute walk away, or €45pppn for the Leonardo which is literally directly opposite the 3 hostels. Both really really nice hotels.
    And a hostel on the same weekend would cost €22 per person per night.

I'd say the hostel is grand and safe and even suitable for older folks, so long as you maybe got a room with non bunks for them sure they wouldnt really know the difference between the hostel and a 2star hotel or a b+b in Ireland.
    I stayed in a hostel with a football group recently in northern germany and there was families and whole groups of 50somethings there in the place

Cheers!
    I wonder would it be better to put my Father (is he indeed will come) in a hotel and not a hostel, but he might miss the craic of us all together! I'll just ask him, but at least the Leonardo is close if he does fancy the hotel!!
    _Puma_ wrote: »
    Stayed in Wombats on a stag last year. Was perfect for what we needed. Train station 5 mins walk away. Around 8 to a room I think. Make sure to go to the Augustiner Keller. About 20 mins walk from the Hostel. We were there a night Bayern were playing at home and it was full off supporters from both teams. Great craic altogether!

Sounds good. Really getting good reviews from what i can see.

How did you find the hostel anyway, most importantly was it clean and safe?
    Can you lock the doors to the dorms?

As hostels go yes and yes. Doors have keycards to unlock them. There were lockers in the rooms too to stash any valuables. You get towels and linen on checking in. All pretty standard for Hostels.

One word of warning if you go to the Augustiner Keller, go easy on the Steins and food is a must! We lost any resemblance of a cohesive group after a few...

Cheers Puma, good input. Important to know these things, as you wont get this info on Tripadvisor etc
    Does the bar open late in the hostel?

No reason then why i shouldnt go ahead and book this then?

Couldn't tell ya what time it closed but id doubt it would be too late since its inside the hostel. Was always closed by the small hours of the morning when we got back. They had a happy hour too which is always a good start off point.

Couldn't fault it to be honest, Clean and cheap place to sleep that's central. Staff were pretty sound too. For a stag trip anyway hotel rooms might be a bit overkill.

Spot on man, cheers!

the euro youth hostel bar might stay open later, at least it has a reputation for doing do.
    But in general theres no set bar closing time in Munich.
    Grand, beerhalls will close "early" at 11 or 12 or maybe a tiny bit later, but theres loads of other bars which serve all night long, or at least 3 or 4 hours after the beerhall, and then you can start looking for the late late bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 caffaddict

I'd check out "air BnB" if I were you. I've used it before in a different city and it was a great option. It's basically somebodys apartment you are renting(through the company obviously - not some random person's flat) for the weekend/whatever number of days and they are generally pretty reasonable you can also rent whole apartment(s) so no splitting up required.

• Advertisement

caffaddict wrote: »
    I'd check out "air BnB" if I were you. I've used it before in a different city and it was a great option. It's basically somebodys apartment you are renting(through the company obviously - not some random person's flat) for the weekend/whatever number of days and they are generally pretty reasonable you can also rent whole apartment(s) so no splitting up required.
    an apartment for 20 lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 caffaddict

an apartment for 20 lads?

Jesus, pedantic Pat is out today! I obviously meant renting more than one apartment in close proximity, hence the apartment(s) in my post.

Anyway, best of luck OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There's a Super park u can pay into and drink itChinese Gardens I think there call something like that , we went mid April and it was class think beer hall outdoors beer and food and band playin , was the day of a Munich match so loads of fans from both teams there aswell singing together , Not sure if it's the same in winter but worth checking out ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I just checked it's the English Gardens but the part where u drink is called the Chinese Tower
    , as there is a huge Chinese style wooden tower

Sounds good thanks. Im sure they'll be a thread started by myself asking where the best beers gardens and halls are :)

Sounds good thanks. Im sure they'll be a thread started by myself asking where the best beers gardens and halls are :)
    already done!

check here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056141188
    which is more a general overview of the touristy places and on the beer / wine fourm I've listed a dozen places downtown all with beer from different breweries
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91517445
    Now, some of the places might not really have place for 20 lads landing all at once if they are already busy, but most should be grand especially during the day

Lol top fella!

Is Munich stag friendly lads?

OP here :)

Stag is coming up in 4 weeks!!

Is there much walking around in Munich going from pub to beer garden and beer hall etc or is it all trams/trains?
    Are taxi's expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP here :)

Stag is coming up in 4 weeks!!

Is there much walking around in Munich going from pub to beer garden and beer hall etc or is it all trams/trains?
    Are taxi's expensive?

Was there for mine a couple of years back.

No, the main beerhalls are within walking distance.
    Hofbrau is the biggest (and the best) there are a few others, they are good good fun and surprisingly cheap tbh

Taxis are dirt cheap, iirc a taxi from around hofbrau was maybe 12 quid.

There is a guy called Lenny who does a historical beer tour, if you have a bit of time book him, its good fun.

The beer bike may be back in action, its also good.

Kultfabrique is also awesome, dont go til about 1am though there is a general irish thing to go there @11 o clock and its empty. Do try and get some food at this point, the bars stay open til 6am its a long day/night without anything to eat :D

Schillerstrasse is the place for erm exotic dancing if you are so inclined, its seriously expensive though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Is Munich stag friendly lads?

How many of you are going?
    There were 16/17 of us, no issues anywhere bar kultfabrique

They are not hugely keen on big groups of lads, however there is a view that Irish/English are the same.. If anyone can speak german in your group you should be fine.

Likewise if you go up in groups of 4 or so you'll also be fine.

The bouncers will take absolutely zero ****, if you step out of line you will get a smack

Was there for mine a couple of years back.

No, the main beerhalls are within walking distance.
    Hofbrau is the biggest (and the best) there are a few others, they are good good fun and surprisingly cheap tbh

Taxis are dirt cheap, iirc a taxi from around hofbrau was maybe 12 quid.

There is a guy called Lenny who does a historical beer tour, if you have a bit of time book him, its good fun.

The beer bike may be back in action, its also good.

Kultfabrique is also awesome, dont go til about 1am though there is a general irish thing to go there @11 o clock and its empty. Do try and get some food at this point, the bars stay open til 6am its a long day/night without anything to eat :D

Schillerstrasse is the place for erm exotic dancing if you are so inclined, its seriously expensive though.

Ah happy days, appreciate that :)

Its such a big city i really wasnt sure how far the beer halls etc are from each other. Only really doing some research now tbh.

Must try find map online that lists the beer halls. Not sure what the weather will be like in early April but hopefully its decent and we can do some beer gardens.
    How many of you are going?
    There were 16/17 of us, no issues anywhere bar kultfabrique

They are not hugely keen on big groups of lads, however there is a view that Irish/English are the same.. If anyone can speak german in your group you should be fine.

Likewise if you go up in groups of 4 or so you'll also be fine.

The bouncers will take absolutely zero ****, if you step out of line you will get a smack

17 going.
    No idiots at all so i'd be surprised if there's any issue / trouble, all good lads and able to sup pints all day :D

Are we really classed the same as the English? Balls was hoping that wouldnt be the case.

http://www.wombats-hostels.com/blog/restaurants/best-beer-gardens-halls-munich/

This will steer you right, augustiner is nice if a little small.

I was there in late june, 35 degrees and wearing Lederhosen while pulling 3 kegs of beer around the city.. i have never needed a shower so bad..
    It'll likely be warm.

http://beerbikemunich.com/

I'd do the walking tour tbh

big number but use your heads and you'll be grand, Munich is a fantastic city.

Are you flying into Munich or using the ryanair airport?

We're actually staying in Wombats, thats not a bad link!!

With a bit luck it'll be somewhat warm, would much prefer drink in beer gardens all day :)

Straight into Munich.

Here's a map of the main beer halls.
    It's slightly out of date with unionbrau for instance no longer there, but is otherwise a good indication of a number of places to head for
    http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/munipubs.htm#map

By early april the weather can go either way. Can be tipping 20 and sunny or threatening to sh1te the last snow of the year on you. But generally would be decent enough weather with every week into April being exponentially better (or less chance of proper bad weather). If you're lucky the beergardens may be open which are an experience that you'll not get a where else in the world.

• Advertisement

Here's a map of the main beer halls.
    It's slightly out of date with unionbrau for instance no longer there, but is otherwise a good indication of a number of places to head for
    http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/munipubs.htm#map

By early april the weather can go either way. Can be tipping 20 and sunny or threatening to sh1te the last snow of the year on you. But generally would be decent enough weather with every week into April being exponentially better (or less chance of proper bad weather). If you're lucky the beergardens may be open which are an experience that you'll not get a where else in the world.

So there's a chance they wont be open?? :(

So there's a chance they wont be open?? :(

Beergarden i would assume are weather dependent.

Beerhalls will be open

Beergarden i would assume are weather dependent.

Beerhalls will be open

T'would make perfect sense actually !!
    D'uh lol

This day next week I'll be halfway to Munich.

Weather forecast doesn't look great so my dream of spending 48 hours in a beer garden doesn't look like becoming a reality.

This day next week I'll be halfway to Munich.

Weather forecast doesn't look great so my dream of spending 48 hours in a beer garden doesn't look like becoming a reality.
    I wouldn't pay too much heed on long term weather forecasts.

Munich is in a strange location just off the alps so bad weather often just misses Munich, and aside from that the "föhn" ("hairdryer"/ warm wind) can randomly decide to come from Italy meaning Munich has beergarden weather whilst the rest of Germany is decidenly nippy.
    Still, even with good weather in April it'd really only be viable to be in the beergardens during the day as only in May would the temperatures be high enough to spend an evening outside.

If you're in town for Easter weekend then just note that night clubs are closed early on Wednesday night and dont open on Thursday or Friday nights.
    You'll just have to deal with all night drinking in beerhalls/ bars/ pubs instead !

• Advertisement

Thats a problem i'll happily be able to deal with :)

Whats the best beer? Someone told me Augustiener is quality, but i'd assume each hall has their own beers.

Thanks for all your input and for everyone else that gave me some tips on this thread, always great help from boardsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thats a problem i'll happily be able to deal with :)

Whats the best beer? Someone told me Augustiener is quality, but i'd assume each hall has their own beers.

Thanks for all your input and for everyone else that gave me some tips on this thread, always great help from boardsies.

Big fan of Augustiner Helles.
    Ayingerbrau is stunningly good too!
    Apparently the Ayinger Haus is across from the Hoffbrau haus? I missed it last time and was raging!
    Went to the brewery though (half hour train journey outside Munich), and that was class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

Went to munich on my stag.

15 of us.

Great city. never had a problem getting into kultfabrique (formerly kunstpark much better name)

I think we were there every night. Or I was told that anyway

wally79 wrote: »
    Went to munich on my stag.

15 of us.

Great city. never had a problem getting into kultfabrique (formerly kunstpark much better name)

I think we were there every night. Or I was told that anyway

Cant believe they changed the name :(

:D

Cant believe they changed the name :(

:D
    If I remember right it was sold and then closed down for redevelopment about the time of the World Cup but the alternative plans for a new nightclub area elsewhere fell through, and a bit of a worldwide depression set in, so everything was put on the long finger and it reopened under the new name.

Not sure what the long term plans are for it. Last I saw it was being kept permanently but scaled back a little, but adding some residential and office space on the edges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you want to do something different. Go to Andechs Kloster. Its at the end of 2 of the S-Bahn lines. Its a monastery with a brewery attached. You get to see the Bavarian countryside and drink beer on their terrace. Its €3 for a 500ml beer and its my Bavarian Beer. They also have unreal pork from their own farm

Hofbrau Beer is ok. Augustiner is the locals favourite Beer as its unreal. Most locals prefer to buy beer from a shop and drink it in the English Gardens. You can actually drink Beer on the street in Munich.

I lived in Munich for the Summer and I wouldnt go to Munich for a stag. Its expensive compared to other German cities, non-Germans arent liked in the city (tbh they kinda hate anyone who isnt from Bavaria). Go to somewhere like Prague, where anything goes. Because in Munich, someone will politely tell you to **** off for speaking too loud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

hfallada wrote: »
    If you want to do something different. Go to Andechs Kloster. Its at the end of 2 of the S-Bahn lines. Its a monastery with a brewery attached. You get to see the Bavarian countryside and drink beer on their terrace. Its €3 for a 500ml beer and its my Bavarian Beer. They also have unreal pork from their own farm

Hofbrau Beer is ok. Augustiner is the locals favourite Beer as its unreal. Most locals prefer to buy beer from a shop and drink it in the English Gardens. You can actually drink Beer on the street in Munich.

I lived in Munich for the Summer and I wouldnt go to Munich for a stag. Its expensive compared to other German cities, non-Germans arent liked in the city (tbh they kinda hate anyone who isnt from Bavaria). Go to somewhere like Prague, where anything goes. Because in Munich, someone will politely tell you to **** off for speaking too loud

Didn't find that at all and have been there twice now on stags

Snow expected this weekend lol
    No beer gardens then. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 spark23

Hey any advice on this religious holiday heading to a stag in Munich Friday morning and believe this above festival could be problematic

spark23 wrote: »
    Hey any advice on this religious holiday heading to a stag in Munich Friday morning and believe this above festival could be problematic
    Just can't dance (i.e. No clubs are open) on Thursday Friday or Saturday as a respect to JC getting nailed to the cross and dying a desperate death. It's a far more measured response than in Ireland where having a respectful pint is banned on good Friday.

But as drinking beer in Bavaria is an essential function up there with breathing, it's not banned and you can drink all day and all night if you want.
    There's even special Lenten beer which is 7 to 8 % that is brewed specially to help the devoted Catholic through lent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement