Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outlet Store - South Great George's Street

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ollaetta wrote: »
    No, Dockrells were there for many years, back to the 1800's according to this: Dockrells Architects

38-40 is the site of the building next door, which is now the "Wicklow Court" building. This would be appear to be where they were until the most recent fire.

This building is 41-46 and now that I've got older Thoms Directories in front of me here, was not Dockrells until after the most recent fire. It was a selection of shops and the Red Lion Hotel on the end and presumably over the shops. After the Red Lion closed it seems to have been Winstons Department Store which seems to have finally ended as a chain recently enough outside Dublin

So Mannix Flynn definitely did not burn out this building (and of course claims he didn't burn down the other one!) - and the interiors may actually be quite old then. I had assumed myself that it was just a shell with 70s interiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Wheety wrote: »
    8wKLOkT.jpg

k0EzPOZ.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Jaysus, the poor woman in the picture and news article must have been texting for days waiting for it to open back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

miamee wrote: »
    I took this photo yesterday where some of the old signage has been revealed. It's not much to look at but I was wondering what the red lettering underneath is? It looks like it used to say "Rio" maybe? I have no memory of this building as anything else, we rarely went down that part of town as kids so would be interested to know*.

* I used to be convinced that Cassidys had been here but I've been told it was the other side of the road so I'm not relying on my very hazy memory!
    That was "Big D"

Edited.
    I typed that and then went looking to see if I could find anything online. It's late, I couldn't find much except the pdf linked below.
    Here is the pdf link Industry Evolution: A Comparative Study of Irish Wholesaling - Core
    Here is a screengrab of the PDF (I realise a quote would have worked) :o
    uWrCEk.jpg

Another reference to "Big D" (But I didn't fancy continually editing the above post).
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/former-dockrells-store-to-sell-for-15-million-1.1157768
    For a century and a half, numbers 41-46 South Great George's Street housed one of the Dublin's best-known businesses, Dockrells hardware store, which traded up to the early 1970s.

The business was later taken over by the Fitzwilton Group. When they changed the name over the door to Big D "the writing was on the wall", according one former employee, David Baker.

The decline of the business was accentuated by the waning fortunes of South Great George's Street, as Grafton Street replaced it as the premier shopping thoroughfare in the city.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thanks Suckit, that's very interesting! I'll have to keep an eye out this week to see if 'Big D' makes a reappearance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

^^ 'Big D' did not make a reappearance and won't be ever again now. Updated photo below taken on Tuesday (5th Feb)

472436.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I've seen a big D make an appearance on George's St before...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its great to see that delapidated and derelict buildings in Dublin CC are now finally getting renovated and put back into use. We built a lot of new stuff during the property boom and buildings in the city centre like the Outlet weren't even touched and were left go to ruin. So its good to see they are finally getting done now

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's great to see George's St. up to Camden, on the whole, getting long overdue attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah that whole spine from Georges St up to Camden St is getting transformed nicely. It wont be long until there isn't a single disued building all the way from Ricks up to the Bleeding Horse. Next on the agenda has to be an entire re-surfacing of the road, I went down it last week on a motorbike and its in such a mess that the front wheel was going air bourne over some of the patchwork repairs. 2010 was the last time I remember any roadworks on it, it is long overdue an upgrade.

• Advertisement

I was definitely in that Outlet Store circa 2004—5. They sold really crap sports gear.

Did it open for a little while in the mid 00's before closing again, for good?

The front looks pretty much the same as the last pic I posted, however the Stephen Stree side is looking more...airy! Pic taken yesterday.

473009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

A poxy premier Inn is going in? Thats disappointing, but better than lying empty I suppose

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A poxy premier Inn is going in? Thats disappointing, but better than lying empty I suppose

Modern city centre Premier Inn's usually have better restaurant and bar facilities than most other hotels; and definitely ones that people on normal incomes can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah that whole spine from Georges St up to Camden St is getting transformed nicely. It wont be long until there isn't a single disued building all the way from Ricks up to the Bleeding Horse. Next on the agenda has to be an entire re-surfacing of the road, I went down it last week on a motorbike and its in such a mess that the front wheel was going air bourne over some of the patchwork repairs. 2010 was the last time I remember any roadworks on it, it is long overdue an upgrade.

It's a busconnects corridor so resurfacing will almost certainly be done, but you could be talking 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Poxy Premier Inn? is that a new brand name for them? :D

Seriously though there is a hotel being built on Marlborough Street called 'moxy' an international chain of same name I believe. Is that not just asking to be given a local rebranding?

Not a huge amount has changed recently but an up-to-date photo anyway, taken today:

475406.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

A lot of work just to preserve a redbrick facade.

Passenger wrote: »
    A lot of work just to preserve a redbrick facade.

They must be doing more than that? What are the big blocks on the scaffolding, and it's a pretty sturdy, reinforced looking scafolding, not normal type.

Are they putting a 'front' on to the building? (I don't know what else to call it).

Suckit wrote: »
    What are the big blocks on the scaffolding, and it's a pretty sturdy, reinforced looking scafolding, not normal type.

Are they putting a 'front' on to the building? (I don't know what else to call it).

Appears to be a support structure for the facade as the entire inside of the building is being razed.

Can't seem to find any design plans for the finished hotel either. Anybody any links?

• Advertisement

DCC planning website links to individual documents expire after a few hours to days and there's no architechts site entry for it that I can find. It won't look much different to the current building, which tbh is fine as its a fairly unbroken row of Victorian redbrick/terracotta commercial buildings and a nice contrast to other parts of the city.

sugarman wrote: »
    southgreatgeorgesstreet-dockrellbuilding.jpg?10000

Expected more from the roof for some reason.

Nice street level unit there for a much needed Starbucks on the street. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Suckit wrote: »
    They must be doing more than that? What are the big blocks on the scaffolding, and it's a pretty sturdy, reinforced looking scafolding, not normal type.

The blocks are to prevent the brick facade from blowing over when all the internal walls have been removed.

An old column / awning or overhang at that corner would be lovely and 'dress' the corner and entrance.
    Something like below but less western! (sorry so big)
    475431.jpg

They'd probably have to extend/widen the footpath there to do that, there is very little space there as it is.

I can't be the only one to think that the RSJs shoring up the building facade looked great until they started loading the concrete blocks into the frame?

I've construction engineering background and a lot of me is saying "wow.That's a really clever (and expensive) system of shoring, one I've never seen. That's clever"

Hopefully the consultant engineers have their figures correct and site engineer interpreted them correctly and trades took them seriously and insisted their crew operated to the highest possible standards at all times.

In engineering I learned "if it looks wrong it's probably wrong".

I'll be walking on the opposite side of the road anyway.

This was the view from The Long Hall today...

40458324623_b5f8b06cd9_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

This building was a fashion wholesalers in the 70s called House of Carr .. then bought up by another clothing wholesalers called Fashion Layer in the early 90s till 2003 by an Indian family who also owned the Jaipur restaurant attached to it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Slightly off topic but does anyone know what's going in opposite this hotel between the Long Hall & Five Guys? Used to be part of the old Dunnes which Five Guys has moved into - been loads of work going on recently it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Slightly off topic but does anyone know what's going in opposite this hotel between the Long Hall & Five Guys? Used to be part of the old Dunnes which Five Guys has moved into - been loads of work going on recently it seems.

Great Outdoors relocating from Chatham Street.

Advertisement