Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Current Affairs for Being uncivil

Options
  • 18-01-2021 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭

The mod Necro banned me claiming racism for quoting african immigrant unemployment stats in the thread.

When brought to the mod they didnt agree. Posts of mine which purely referenced uk grime culture as a cause for teens carrying knives were deleted.

Another mod and some usual users kept bringing race into the discussion. While I accept the post I was banned for was off topic, as dragged there by wiggle16 and other users , the post I was banned for was not racist nor did any of my deleted posts pertain to race.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi Eric, can you confirm that you attempted to resolve this with Necro?

If so, I'll notify the Cmods.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I can indeed, I was told by the mod through PM 'there was no place on boards for those kind of opinions' and advised to come here if I wanted to elevate it further.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'll notify the Cmod team to get the ball rolling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi Eric,

I can look into this for you. Can you confirm that you've tried to resolve this with the mod? If so, please either forward the correspondence to me via either PM or by posting it here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Necro wrote:
    Dear Eric Cartman,

You have been banned from Current Affairs/IMHO for one month for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Necro

Moderator Note

Clearly the last ban for racist comments wasn't long enough. Next time it's a permaban

Your post:
    bubblypop wrote: »
    What percentage of non EU immigrants are classified as in the lower socioeconomic class? And what do you think we should do about it?
    If we take people into the country, perhaps one idea might be to not just abandon them into a life on social welfare? that surely does no good for any member of society.

Personally I would like to see incentives that encourage all people into work and education.

African origan migrants have a 65%-82% rate of unemployment depending on country, don’t let them in is the best answer
    Necro wrote:
    How are unemployment statistics for african migrants racist ?

I could quote at least four or five and possibly more of your posts that are absolutely vile to be quite honest.

There's absolutely no place on Boards for that sort of opinion.

You are free to use the Dispute Resolution Forum if you wish to appeal the sanction of course

Regards,

Necro

I then responded with :
    I normally resolve these things pretty civily, but i think ill escalate that thos tome. I believe I tried to stay as far put of race in that thread as much as others tried to bring it up.
    but got no reply.

Theres the PM exchange

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks Eric. Bear with me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Hi Eric,

I've decided that I am going to uphold the ban from the moderator on the basis stated in the note banning you. I'm not sure why you felt the need to help with bringing the thread off topic to immigration and Africans but arguing for their deportation and for denying them entry merits a sanction IMO. Your last ban was less than a month ago and was for a week so I can see why the mod banned you for one month this time. There are already threads on immigration and multiculturalism in the CA/IMHO forum.

The racist dog whistling and outright racism which you've employed in multiple posts on this thread are not welcome in the forum. If you wish to continue posting in the forum once the ban expires then I would advise that you reconsider your posting style.

If you wish to appeal this decision, let me know and we'll get an admin to review ASAP.

H. H. Asquith

Hi Eric,

I've decided that I am going to uphold the ban from the moderator on the basis stated in the note banning you. I'm not sure why you felt the need to help with bringing the thread off topic to immigration and Africans but arguing for their deportation and for denying them entry merits a sanction IMO. Your last ban was less than a month ago and was for a week so I can see why the mod banned you for one month this time. There are already threads on immigration and multiculturalism in the CA/IMHO forum.

The racist dog whistling and outright racism which you've employed in multiple posts on this thread are not welcome in the forum. If you wish to continue posting in the forum once the ban expires then I would advise that you reconsider your posting style.

If you wish to appeal this decision, let me know and we'll get an admin to review ASAP.

I would like to appeal it. I do not consider wanting to deny entry to the country to africans based on high unemployment rates as racist , as Africa as a continent is not a singular race of people either.

I think if there was any outright racism posted on that forum that I would have been banned for such , as I was banned for a post that has to be viewed in a very skewed light to see it as racist, I feel that demonstrates the lack of posts that are outright racist.

Id also like to appeal the deletion of my first post in that thread referencing the importation of uk grime culture as a reason for many teen knife attacks of late, and the also deleted post clarifying the fact that I meant that and clarifying that I was not identifying/speculating on the race of the attackers.

I don't feel my posts in that thread were being viewed on their own merit and instead an incorrect presumption (particularly by the user/moderator wiggle16) that every viewpoint I have is racially charged.

That's fine Eric. I'll get an appeal for you ASAP.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have nothing to add to the CMod's analysis of the specific ban here

However I do have a further comment to you OP. Any further evidence of racism from you anywhere on the site and a lengthy siteban will follow

Ban upheld

Marked resolved

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement