Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from thread

Options
  • 09-01-2021 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Hi, have been banned from https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058060465&page=73 by mod who's posts about nphet putting out false figures I was disagreeing with, after my last post in the 'discussion' we were having, he replied as a mod saying the discussion was over. I replied saying 'not unexpected, end of'.

I then get a message saying that I shouldn't post on the thread again; and two minutes later a yellow for being uncivil

I'd like to dispute the thread ban, I believe the only reason I was banned was because I had tried to query the sources of people who were querying the covid figures put out by nphet, the moderator himself being one of them.

Cheers

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread moved

Threadbans are dealt with in help Desk

Have you attempted to resolve this directly with the mod by PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Firblog

Not much point, I've had several issues previlously with him, plus I wasn't very complementary in reply to his pm banning me...

Appreciate if someone could let me know if this is being looked at

Cheers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As advised via PM you must firstly engage with the mod via PM to try and resolve this directly

You have advised me that you have now done that to no avail, and your appeal here can proceed.

I'll see if a CMod can have a look at this for you. If not I will review it

Appreciate if someone could take a look at this to resolve cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks for the PM reminding me to check back to this thread

I'll ask the CMod to look, but given the passage time since this happened I will look myself if the CMod cannot get to it over the next day or so

Is anyone actually looking at this? Have been unfairly banned for more than a month now, perhaps admins need to look at procedures for reviewing these cases if one can sit here this long without anyone taking a look at the issue..?

Apologies again but I've been distracted by other issues on the site

You presumably accept the card?

In terms of the threadban, you state it was issued b=via PM. Could you please forward that PM to me (do not post it here - PMs can only be posted in DRP threads

Thanks for the PM

I'm currently reviewing this and your posts in the thread. I'll get back once I've completed that review

I've discussed this with the mod, and looked at your posts leading up to the threadban.

The issue is you became confrontational, and it was not only with the mod. You were requesting figures when it was very clear the comments being referred top were subjective.

Then there was the post that resulted in the card. There was a clear mod instruction to "leave it there", and you retorted "Not unexpected. End of."

I think in the circumstances a thread ban was a fair "result". We are now 6 weeks down the line, and the mod is prepared to reconsider the threadban. What I need from you though is an assurance you will "leave it" and be less in face of others requesting hard facts when you know they are unlikely to exist.

• Advertisement

Hi Beasty, J have to say I’m more than shocked with your reply, and hardly know where to begin or really how to respond to it.But here goes

Beasty wrote: »
    The issue is you became confrontational, and it was not only with the mod. You were requesting figures when it was very clear the comments being referred top were subjective. .

I don’t get your reasoning here, the mod and another poster were questioning the official figures, and claiming that their ‘sources’ figures were much higher; how can you say that their comments were ‘subjective’ when they are disputing hard figures, surely the only way to dispute a set of figures is to give other figures and let them be examined? And that was all I was requesting, let them say how many extra people were admitted into the hospital with covid, how many people over and above the official numbers were in LUH high dependency unit etc. These are definitive numbers, there is nothing subjective about them, I don’t understand how you can allow people to say they are wrong/false without allowing other people to question those assertions.

You say my posts became confrontational? Now that is a subjective view, I don’t believe I was, I thought I was being fairly robust in defense of the official figures, trying to get those who were doubting their veracity to back up the claims they were making.

Then there was the post that resulted in the card. There was a clear mod instruction to "leave it there", and you retorted "Not unexpected. End of." .

As said I have absolutely no argument with the yellow for that.

I think in the circumstances a thread ban was a fair "result". We are now 6 weeks down the line, and the mod is prepared to reconsider the threadban. What I need from you though is an assurance you will "leave it" and be less in face of others requesting hard facts when you know they are unlikely to exist.

Seriously? You want me not to request hard facts from people who are disputing facts and figures in a thread where people (even the mod himself) are posting links to facts and figures? That I can’t question someone who comes on and says those figures linked to are nonsense, because I know someone in the catering dept who doesn’t agree with them..? I was requesting hard facts to show that they didn’t exist; that those posters couldn’t back up their claims, how else are we meant to differentiate reliable information from gossip and hearsay?

If I was an anti vaxxer would I be allowed on to post saying that the covid test results are false and not have to post some type of figure to back up my claim?

I’m afraid if that is your idea of the way that thread should be moderated, then I’ll be glad not to post in it again because I cannot assure you that I would not ask for proof from people posting that type of spurious ‘information’ in the future.

Threadban upheld

Marking resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement