Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does a jobseekers claim take to process?

Options
  • 23-04-2021 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi guys. So I’ve just become unemployed and I applied for job seekers online through MyGov this morning. I’ve never been on social welfare before and I’m not sure how it works.

Would anyone have an idea as to how long claims take to be processed/get an answer?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi guys. So I’ve just become unemployed and I applied for job seekers online through MyGov this morning. I’ve never been on social welfare before and I’m not sure how it works.

Would anyone have an idea as to how long claims take to be processed/get an answer?

Thanks.

Did you apply for PUP or standard JSA/B?

Standards JSA/B in normal times can take up to 4 weeks, but with Covid etc I suspect delays inevitable, your payment however will be backdated to date of application.

If you are stuck, you can claim assistance through local community welfare officer, they arrange an interim payment via post office until your claim processed.

PUP, pandemic unemployment payment normally processed very quickly with first payment roughly a week from application. You don't state if you lost your job because of pandemic, if you did, this is the payment you should have claimed. Good luck

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Did you apply for PUP or standard JSA/B?

Standards JSA/B in normal times can take up to 4 weeks, but with Covid etc I suspect delays inevitable, your payment however will be backdated to date of application.

If you are stuck, you can claim assistance through local community welfare officer, they arrange an interim payment via post office until your claim processed.

PUP, pandemic unemployment payment normally processed very quickly with first payment roughly a week from application. You don't state if you lost your job because of pandemic, if you did, this is the payment you should have claimed. Good luck

Was in same position and I applied Monday this week and was awarded on Wednesday so should be quick

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bluefivetwo23

Was in same position and I applied Monday this week and was awarded on Wednesday so should be quick

Was that for the PUP or regular job seekers? Thanks!

Was that for the PUP or regular job seekers? Thanks!

At a guess PUP, as explained JSA/B Takes much longer to process, means testing required etc. PUP, not means tested and criteria less stringent, primarily based on previous earnings to assess entitlement and level of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

At a guess PUP, as explained JSA/B Takes much longer to process, means testing required etc. PUP, not means tested and criteria less stringent, primarily based on previous earnings to assess entitlement and level of payment.

Regular job seekers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Thanks.

I had to re-apply for JS after being on the PUP payment for a bit. I returned to the same part time job I was at beforehand but still had to re-apply. Last time this happened I was simply switched back to JS/casual - It took 6 weeks to get approval this time and I was told there was a back log of applicants [probably because they're having people who were already on JS pre-PUP payment re-apply from scratch!] I was back dated once I got the go ahead. That's a different scenario I realise but the same office handles all applications I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's no means testing for JB. There is for JA.

If applying via mywelfare it should take within a week. Sometimes you miss out on a payment or 2, but they'll be backdated in due course.

If a person's working record is fairly straightforward there should be no reason it would take 4 weeks and that's just idle scaremongering.

There's no means testing for JB. There is for JA.

If applying via mywelfare it should take within a week. Sometimes you miss out on a payment or 2, but they'll be backdated in due course.

If a person's working record is fairly straightforward there should be no reason it would take 4 weeks and that's just idle scaremongering.

There was no scaremongering intended, just the fact it can take weeks to get approval on JSA, I used the mean testing reference as a point to illustrate its complexity unlike PUP applications.

Helpful posts always appreciated, if of course they assist an OP.

Do take some time to look at the example (6 weeks) on the post prior to your snide commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There was no scaremongering intended, just the fact it can take weeks to get approval on JSA, I used the mean testing reference as a point to illustrate its complexity unlike PUP applications.

Helpful posts always appreciated, if of course they assist an OP.

Do take some time to look at the example (6 weeks) on the post prior to your snide commentary.

Again, my so-called snide commentary added the fact that JA and JB are two distinct albeit similar payments, with one being means tested and the other not.

If the OP applies for JB via mywelfare.ie they should have an answer within the week, all thing's being equal. An application for JA could take longer, but that's usually down to personal circumstances.

I'll take my snidery elsewhere, you can scaremonger to your heart's content then.

Again, my so-called snide commentary added the fact that JA and JB are two distinct albeit similar payments, with one being means tested and the other not.

If the OP applies for JB via mywelfare.ie they should have an answer within the week, all thing's being equal. An application for JA could take longer, but that's usually down to personal circumstances.

I'll take my snidery elsewhere, you can scaremonger to your heart's content then.

Again, read the OP, first time applying for JSA/B, Applying through my gov one thing, getting FULL approval and actual payment can take weeks, this was not intended to scaremonger as you put it. Finally having a "work record" as you also put it has little to do with an approval, apart from being penalised for leaving a job voluntarily and having enough PRSI contributions.

It fascinates me a post 2 weeks after original OP and the need to be unpleasantness. Correct and incorrect post by all means, leave out the silly accusations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement