Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any local businesses closed down?

Options
  • 02-07-2020 11:42am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think most of the posters here are in rural areas. So just curious if any businesses close to you have closed permanently since C19 lockdown? One hairdresser that employed 6 people has closed in our local village. Also a pub not looking good either.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A plumbers, two clothes shops, a barbers decided to go into new management, a large restaurant/food hall, .
    I think there's more I've missed in the local town.
    Few businesses in the villages then going to stay closed.
    It's bleak.
    Shopping online not helping either and many people have just discovered this way of buying. People are willing to pay more online too plus the transport charge and they don't want the social interaction of a real shop.
    People have (been) changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

crèche where the 2 kids is going under new management (it was for sale pre covid 19)

one pub talking about not opening till at least September

that's all so far that I have heard

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A local pub that serves food on fri, sat and sun are not opening for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

All I know of is one hairdresser in one of the nearby towns.

Could well be others I haven’t heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think most of the posters here are in rural areas. So just curious if any businesses close to you have closed permanently since C19 lockdown? One hairdresser that employed 6 people has closed in our local village. Also a pub not looking good either.

Hair not growing any longer blue?? if anything during covid i think many rural stores etc that could stay open thrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Havent heard of too many closing but i would say if there is a second wave/lockdown then **** will hit the fan big time

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ruwithme wrote: »
    Hair not growing any longer blue?? if anything during covid i think many rural stores etc that could stay open thrived.
    Local shop has been flat out since the lockdown started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

I have 2 shop units with offices uptop rented out in town. I haven't got a penny in rent from one of the clients since February, the others have paid something but are in the red. I had to lay down the rules to them last week. Its not nice but business is business.
    We will definitely be loosing one of them before long

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

A plumbers, two clothes shops, a barbers decided to go into new management, a large restaurant/food hall, .
    I think there's more I've missed in the local town.
    Few businesses in the villages then going to stay closed.
    It's bleak.
    Shopping online not helping either and many people have just discovered this way of buying. People are willing to pay more online too plus the transport charge and they don't want the social interaction of a real shop.
    People have (been) changed.

Tou would wonder was it deliberately manufactured so that people would buy more sh""e from.china...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

A closure might indicate a switch to online trading also for some business. Of course not possible for all, but the lockdown caused some business to re-evaluate and were forced online. They might not decide that its online only from now on.. Now this is still tough for the main street and overall, probably lead to loss of rents and emptying of shop fronts.

Secondly these businesses whether they go online or not are some of the most hardy we have, many are rooted in their local area.. Their profits and wages stay local, so we are best to stick with them and support them as best they could.

A thing mentioned in the UK is to have no such thing as free shipping and all parcels generate a charge. The online biz is also harming our high streets with pollution of delivery vans too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Local petrol station is flying it, turned deli into a chipper Thurs thru Sun and flat out every night as well as selling regular dinners at midday. Childcare may be the

• Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

blue5000 wrote: »

Very nice restaurant in nenagh not reopening ,bistro 41 ,Silvermine and the talbot pub also gone .hearing of more too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Tou would wonder was it deliberately manufactured so that people would buy more sh""e from.china...

Ah ya can't be saying things like that. ;)

Fact is though that people have never been buying as much online as now and trade from Amazon and Asia has never done as well.
    Tyres are a thing that may be getting scarce as factories are just getting going again.

It's never been as important as now to shop local. That is if you're bothered and you don't want town centres to just be fast food joints.
    Town councils have a lot to answer for too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Local pub was back going fully this week, open till ten the last few nights passed at around nine and the curtains were drawn tonight hed be fairly by the book so with the news of cops calling all over the airwaves today hed be more wary. Same fella had the cops call one night because he was watching telly in the pub on his own over lockdown.
    Heard of several businesses in the town going under but there back going.
    Started back in the gym last week the owner was saying he was expecting a glut of new business bigger than January but the evenings are fairly chilled there at the minute but he said midday is flatout also nearly all men back at it too i was told.
    It was mentioned at a Covid/Health and Safety meeting at work today that cases are rising etc since Monday i reckon they were hinting at us not to be heading out this weekend, they had a Covid+ non symptom lad on one big site and the whole site got shutdown for a fortnight as well as a few cases of Covid on that site that was in the UK though.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Little pubs without a commercial kitchen haven't been able to re-open yet, so hard to know how many will decide to retire/close up.
    Only things that have definately shut in Cavan town is Subway, a chipper, and one of those mobile phone accessory shops.
    Passing through town at 12.30 last night, and it was locked up and empty.
    1 takeaway open ( that I saw) and they do deliveries to the hospital.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Local Montessori closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Alot of people over here starting to be made redundant as no recovery insight being told maybe early in the new year from a number of industries that are less in demand atm.
    Can only imagine the mother of all reccesions on the way as a few would have mortgages that they are goin to be enable to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Local building firm with a massive national presence had a big corporate take over 1.5yrs ago has closed. Lots of locals depend on it.

As a result local service station is closing its garage part. So we will have to look elsewhere. Sad on the lads working there.

Advertisement