Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point reporting a protected structure?

Options
  • 13-07-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

The house next to me sold about a year ago. I am not going to get into it, but at one stage they where selling cars out there back garden and just before COVID they turned it into a breakers yard. My neighbours, have not been very neighbourly.

The building is a protected structure and my old neighbour spent a lot of time looking after it. Which I understand is a requirement of owning a building with a protection order in place

Just after it was sold my new neighbours replaced the windows with double glazed windows with an aluminium frame. My understanding was that you cant do that to a procted structure. But what ever its there place.

When a small hole opened in the roof. Instead of replacing it the missing tiles. They bought a mobile home and stuck in the back garden and now a bow has developed in the roof.

The house is very dilapidated and overgrown now. I count at least four planning violations.

Is there any point reporting it, will anything actually be done. And is there the potential they will find out it was me who reported them. I share a wall with them and I am genuinely worried that the house will become so dilapidated that it will have to be knocked at some point in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if you have any questions relating to your protected structure, you should write to your planning authority Conservation Officer or the planning department of your local authority.

You may also find it useful to contact the following:

Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht
    23 Kildare Street
    Dublin 2
    Ireland

Tel: +353 (0)1 631 3800
    Locall: 1890 383 000
    Homepage: https://www.chg.gov.ie/
    The Heritage Council

cannot answer as to what level of enforcement there is, but i would think that you could call/email without revealing who you are and ask what the procedure is at the very least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning Enforcement section of your council.
    If Dublin, send a. Email to planningenforcement@dublincity.ie

They will swiftly deal with it if it’s a breach of the planning regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Has anyone ever seen anyone made take action.

I mean look at Mother Redcaps, protected structure. But its just being left to rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, if they cannot afford to renovate a house which is a protected structure, you can’t make them. The State owns a lot of protected structures in need of renovation.

I have experience of renovating one, they are money pits, and there is always a danger of some twit from the Council not liking what you have done, and making you change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Dav010 wrote: »
    Op, if they cannot afford to renovate a house which is a protected structure, you can’t make them. The State owns a lot of protected structures in need of renovation.

I have experience of renovating one, they are money pits, and there is always a danger of some twit from the Council not liking what you have done, and making you change it.

What you can do is have the council proceed under the Derelict Sites legislation. Fix it or lose it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What you can do is have the council proceed under the Derelict Sites legislation. Fix it or lose it.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/attempt-to-force-council-to-act-over-house-fails-1.894885%3fmode=amp

Advertisement