Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hunt season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

2mile hurdle division appears weak this season with no classy second-season novice hurdler ready to challenge Faugheen (unless you count Peace and Co as classy!)
    Can My Tent or Yours come back to his best? Even if he does he wont challenge The Machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Who wouldn't count Peace and Co as classy?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

lemush wrote: »
    Who wouldn't count Peace and Co as classy?

I thought the juveniles were weak last year.The Triumph 3rd and 4th were subsequently beaten at Aintree, which didnt exactly frank the form. Maybe Ill be proved wrong.
    Either way, a 5yo wont beat Faugheen.

I thought the juveniles were weak last year.The Triumph 3rd and 4th were subsequently beaten at Aintree, which didnt exactly frank the form. Maybe Ill be proved wrong.
    Either way, a 5yo wont beat Faugheen.

Think it's a tad unfair to knock P&C's Triumph win with the 3rd and 4th home when visually for my eyes anyway he was clearly in a different league.

Although the form of Aintree is hard to assess anyway considering the Triumph 3rd (Hargam) was beat at odds on which might be used to knock him but the 4th horse in the Triumph beaten 14l (Devilment) only went down by 3/4 length in the same race at Aintree which would subsequently frank the form.

Agree totally re Faugheen but no doubt P&C is high class in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Andalucia wrote: »
    big year for Mullins with his band of chasers - without doubt Mullins has been historically weak in chases given his dominance in hurdles and bumpers - last year was the first year that he won decent races with high class novices since Florida Pearl was doing his thing

still think the Don is a class animal and would put it up to any of Willies gang - given the extent of the Gigginstown operation, they're not going to be rushing to see the Don, Roads to Riches or Dom Poli take each other on - should mean a few trips to the UK before Cheltenham for a few of them

Cooldine and Sir Des Champs say hello.

Admittedly though he doesn't have as many good chasers as you would imagine given his bumper and novice hurdler success.
    Final furlong podcast worth a listen this week, Patrick Mullins on it.

Annie to the Mares. Vautor, Don Poli, Djakadam and Vroum Vroum Mag all aimed at Golf Cup , none will go to Haydock for the Betfair.

Ricci pushing for Faugheen to go to Kempton at Xmas.

Paddy seems very sweet on Limini for the mares novice at Chelt. Also thinks Yorkhill is the best of last seasons bumper crop

So cowardly going for the Mares with Annie Power.
    Honestly what is the point, it's a pig race that she can win doing handstands bar a fall. Waste of the horses talent.

Also pretty stupid not aiming one for the million bonus.
    You'd think O'Leary would fancy a crack at it with so many 3m chasers.

• Advertisement

Every chance Annie will line up in the World Hurdle going by Ricci's comments today on ATR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

Every chance Annie will line up in the World Hurdle going by Ricci's comments today on ATR.

Great interview. Ignoring his history as a banker, Ricci is very likeable. I think Annie will line up in the World Hurdle. The stable have Morning Run, Petitte Parisienne, Analifet and others for the Mare's. She starts off in the Hatton's Grace and then I think they'll try her over 3 miles again in that Grade 1 in Leopardstown at Christmas, not really any other race for her. They very nearly ran her in the World Hurdle last year with a prep in a mare's hurdle at Punchestown in February but they decided to get the win in Cheltenham and then go for Aintree (obviously didn't go to plan). If WPM has her at her best, the World Hurdle is theirs for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

Great racing podcast for those that haven't heard of it. Patrick Mullins gave good insight in the most recent one. Great craic too!
    https://soundcloud.com/emmet-kennedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

I think there's no chance Annie lines up in the World Hurdle. She had no real excuses when beaten by More of That on her only start over the trip (despite Ruby blaming himself) bar being a bit keen and racing like an animal too classy for the trip. We must remember the only reason they ran her in the race that year, first time over 3m, was to avoid leading chances Hurricane Fly and Quevega in the other two options. She was slightly down the pecking order which is not the case now regarding Mares Hurdle. We all know Mullins and Ruby like to play it safe with a sure thing and that's exactly what she'll be if lining up on the Tuesday. The likes of Morning Run and PP will most likely still be largely unproven regardless of what they do pre March.

With regards to the World Hurdle, Patrick Mullins mentioned the injury-prone Clondaw Court for it. It'll be a task but if they can keep him sound he looks an out and out stayer who could be made for it.

Again, Richi's strength in depth is ridiculous.

Supreme: (well backed & much hyped) Min
    Arkle: Douvan
    Champion: Faugheen
    Mares: Annie
    Bumper: fav Tugugra & Fulham Road

Queen Mother: Champagne Fever
    Neptune: Thomas Hobson
    Mares Novice Hurdle: Limini, Karalee

Albert Bartlett: Long Dog
    RSA: Arbre De Vie

Ryainair: Vroum Vroum Mag

Gold Cup: Vautour & Djackadam
    World Hurdle: Clondaw Court & Pont Alexandre

I think Vroum Vroum Mag 14/1 for Ryanair represents the best antepost value of his string at moment given his Gold Cup options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

jimjamcos wrote: »
    I think Vroum Vroum Mag 14/1 for Ryanair represents the best antepost value of his string at moment given his Gold Cup options

VVM is an interesting one, the Final Furlong lads brought her up on the podcast as a Ryanair contender, but Patrick was quick to suggest the Gold Cup would be her target. Then Ricci suggests she's a Ryanair type.

The Mullins mind games have begun early this year! Surely it has to be the Ryanair though, with Djakadam and Vautor already heading to the GC for Ricci

I think there's no chance Annie lines up in the World Hurdle. She had no real excuses when beaten by More of That on her only start over the trip (despite Ruby blaming himself) bar being a bit keen and racing like an animal too classy for the trip. We must remember the only reason they ran her in the race that year, first time over 3m, was to avoid leading chances Hurricane Fly and Quevega in the other two options. She was slightly down the pecking order which is not the case now regarding Mares Hurdle. We all know Mullins and Ruby like to play it safe with a sure thing and that's exactly what she'll be if lining up on the Tuesday. The likes of Morning Run and PP will most likely still be largely unproven regardless of what they do pre March.

Dont agree with that.

She was a 6yo mare having her first real race.
    Cant just be written off as can never win a World Hurdle getting beaten less than 2 lengths.

Horses improve all the time and as you say she didnt settle great which could have cost her some petrol up the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

For the love of god will someone not put her over a fence (Annie Power)..

That said the World Hurdle is there for the taking this year i think.

The mares hurdle is a grand race but would be much better if she didnt go for it.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Dont agree with that.

She was a 6yo mare having her first real race.
    Cant just be written off as can never win a World Hurdle getting beaten less than 2 lengths.

Horses improve all the time and as you say she didnt settle great which could have cost her some petrol up the hill.

Yeah in agreement with you here. She'll be 8 in March so she'll certainly have matured since that defeat to More Of That. She's probably lost a bit of pace but still has a very high cruising speed and I think there's improvement in her over longer trips. Also having her run over 2 miles against mares before that World Hurdle wasn't exactly the greatest prep for getting her to settle over 3. WPM/Ricci don't have a standout WH candidate other than her, why rely on injury prone Clondaw Court when you have Annie Power the current antepost favourite. WPM has won 7 Mares Hurdles on the bounce and he's never won a WH. If she were beaten in the WH again, they could always go back for the Mare's when she's 9.

Yeah in agreement with you here. She'll be 8 in March so she'll certainly have matured since that defeat to More Of That. She's probably lost a bit of pace but still has a very high cruising speed and I think there's improvement in her over longer trips. Also having her run over 2 miles against mares before that World Hurdle wasn't exactly the greatest prep for getting her to settle over 3. WPM/Ricci don't have a standout WH candidate other than her, why rely on injury prone Clondaw Court when you have Annie Power the current antepost favourite. WPM has won 7 Mares Hurdles on the bounce and he's never won a WH. If she were beaten in the WH again, they could always go back for the Mare's when she's 9.

Tbf, more of that was a 6 year old having his fifth ever run. Can't see her not turning up in the mares

With regards to the World Hurdle, Patrick Mullins mentioned the injury-prone Clondaw Court for it. It'll be a task but if they can keep him sound he looks an out and out stayer who could be made for it.

Absolute madness.

lemush wrote:
    Absolute madness.

Care to elaborate?

mdwexford wrote:

mdwexford wrote:
    She was a 6yo mare having her first real race. Cant just be written off as can never win a World Hurdle getting beaten less than 2 lengths.

I'm not for a second saying she cannot win a WH (she undoubtedly has the ability to win it) but what I am saying is, given everything we know about Mullins and her race campaigning so far, it's highly unlikely she'll take the harder route, despite any perceived lack of depth in division this season.

I'm not for a second saying she cannot win a WH (she undoubtedly has the ability to win it) but what I am saying is, given everything we know about Mullins and her race campaigning so far, it's highly unlikely she'll take the harder route, despite any perceived lack of depth in division this season.

+1

The only way I could see Annie running in the WH was if Ricci had one for the Champion Chase and he wanted a crack at winning the 4 championship races.
    AP wins the mares in a canter barring a fall, they wont pass that opportunity up.

AP wins the mares in a canter barring a fall, they wont pass that opportunity up.

We could be saying the same thing about her chances in the WH when March rolls around.

More Of That and Saphir du Rheu are chasing, Jezki and Zarkandar are out for the season, At Fisher's Cross looks gone at the game, Cole Harden is having yet another wind op, Windsor Park could go on the flat... If she hacks up in the Hatton's Grace and the Christmas Hurdle at Leopardstown (probable) then they have absolutely no excuse.

• Advertisement

I can see Nicholls Canyon being the Mullins' main hope for the WH

Sadly that is true.
    +1

The only way I could see Annie running in the WH was if Ricci had one for the Champion Chase and he wanted a crack at winning the 4 championship races.

No idea why, it's a bag of ****e.

Ricci seems like the kinda guy who wants the big races, hopefully he will say it's World Hurdle and that's the end of it.

Care to elaborate?

You said Annie had no real excuses in the WH behind More of That before mentioning that she was quite keen which on her first try at 3m in a championship race is as valid an excuse you can get.

She was never behind Quevega either in the pecking order but Quevega was going for the record breaking 5 in a row so Annie was never ever going to line up in opposition.

Nobody can say there is "no chance" of her lining up in the World Hurdle, agree that Mullins and Ruby like to play it safe and rightly so for selfish reasons but simple fact of the matter is that Ricci is the boss and there is every chance he will want another crack at the WH with Annie before it's too late, his comments last night indicated as much and if he does the she will be going there. Not to mention it could be the weakest WH in a long time.

I can see Nicholls Canyon being the Mullins' main hope for the WH

Willie has stated he is going CH route but a reverse in the Ascot Hurdle where he is rumoured to be going could force a rethink.

Willie has stated he is going CH route but a reverse in the Ascot Hurdle where he is rumoured to be going could force a rethink.

Willie has also stated AP goes for the mares

“She is very good at the moment and fingers are crossed that we don’t meet with any unforeseen setbacks like we did last season. She will stay hurdling, with the Mares’ Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival being the long-term target, but what route she takes to get there has yet to be decided.”

Willie has also stated AP goes for the mares

“She is very good at the moment and fingers are crossed that we don’t meet with any unforeseen setbacks like we did last season. She will stay hurdling, with the Mares’ Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival being the long-term target, but what route she takes to get there has yet to be decided.”

With regards Annie I'm more interested in what Ricci says, his comments on atr have me intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

At the end of the day if ricci wants annie in the world hurdle he will this time get his way seeing as mullins has so many for the mares. She could win the world hurdle too with a few dropping like flys in that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭dicky dunne

Just looking at oddschecker there and the Cheltenham PP meeting in particular, really like the look of Kings Palace in the PP @ 10/1 and Beltor in the Greatwood @ 12/1,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Change to the Cheltenham Festival race times, with the last race on each day being at 5:30.
    I can see that causing major problems with the low sun, and don't be surprised if we have hurdles or fences omitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Just looking at oddschecker there and the Cheltenham PP meeting in particular, really like the look of Kings Palace in the PP @ 10/1 and Beltor in the Greatwood @ 12/1,

Wont he be top weight? Im on monetaire myself

Advertisement