Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Racing Bars in Galway???

Options
  • 11-11-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Would anybody be able to suggest a bar to watch the horse racing in Galway? I'm heading down in a couple of weeks and hoping to catch the racing (preferably in a bar with a bit of craic and folks that are in to horse racing!)

Cheers for the help,
    DJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Kennedys top of eyre square shows the racing but a little grotty. Hughes bar in woodquay also has racing. Both convenient to the bookies. Foleys in woodquay is new and does food.

The former River Inn/Scholars Rest across from NUIG also shows the ponys, pp shop next door

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Hughes bar Woodquay, Murphy's and Freeneys both on High street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DJH85

Great stuff, cheers for that! I'll check those places out...whichever is best for propping up at the bar with the racing post!!

I read (since posting) that the Hole in the Wall is decent too??

DJH85 wrote: »
    Great stuff, cheers for that! I'll check those places out...whichever is best for propping up at the bar with the racing post!!

I read (since posting) that the Hole in the Wall is decent too??

Wouldn't be gone on the Hole in the Wall, I'd head down High Street side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DJH85

Grand job, cheers lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Either Murphys on Shop street or the goalpost in woodquay is a great spot for racing and craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

Ya you have Hughes and the Goalpost in woodquay with a bookies beside you.

Crowes in Bothermore same bookies next door and a nice pub for a saturday day drink.

Murphys down shop street i guess would probably have the best crowd but the pints aint great.

Murphys down shop street i guess would probably have the best crowd but the pints aint great.

And the stench of Guinness farts coming from the ould lads propping up the bar is rotten :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

not gone on the hole in the wall either but you could start off in kennedys where boyles is a door to two away and paddy across the road...turn right and head down to the hole in the wall (2mins walk) and you are practically in woodquay then anyway so spoilt for choice

woodquay has the most racing bars imo and a few offices very close
    barr an chaladh another that always had racing on when I went in (woodquay)

• Advertisement

Ya you have Hughes and the Goalpost in woodquay with a bookies beside you.

Crowes in Bothermore same bookies next door and a nice pub for a saturday day drink.

The bookies beside Crowes is closed for over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Guffy

The Golpost hands down

Advertisement