Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time in court for traffic accident- what to expect?

• 07-05-2021 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I was in a very minor (10 km/h) traffic collision 2 years ago which resulted in slight damage to the front wing of the other person's car. Swapped insurance details there and then and authorities weren't notified. Then got notified from my insurance company that the other person was filing a personal injury claim. My insurance company had an engineer out to asses the very little damage to my car and make a report. They then appointed me a solicitor to handle things. Got a call after Christmas that they were going to bring this to court as they don't believe the other person has grounds for a personal injury claim.

The court date is in two weeks and I'm just wondering what to expect? I've never been in this situation before and it's making me quite anxious.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This will mostly be in the hands of the insurance company's legal team. You may be asked to give some sort of personal witness statement but I can't imagine much beyond that.

You're not on trial or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Duff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I was in a very minor (10 km/h) traffic collision 2 years ago which resulted in slight damage to the front wing of the other person's car. Swapped insurance details there and then and authorities weren't notified. Then got notified from my insurance company that the other person was filing a personal injury claim. My insurance company had an engineer out to asses the very little damage to my car and make a report. They then appointed me a solicitor to handle things. Got a call after Christmas that they were going to bring this to court as they don't believe the other person has grounds for a personal injury claim.

The court date is in two weeks and I'm just wondering what to expect? I've never been in this situation before and it's making me quite anxious.

Thanks for any info.

That's cheered me up no end, thanks for brightening my day!

As per the previous poster, you'll be a minor witness, just answer the questions you're asked if you're put in the box.

Get there early on the day and try to talk to the insurance company's solicitor, they'll guide you as to what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks for that. I guessed the legal team would be doing most of the work, and that I would be there to maybe give my statement of the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That's cheered me up no end, thanks for brightening my day!

As per the previous poster, you'll be a minor witness, just answer the questions you're asked if you're put in the box.

Get there early on the day and try to talk to the insurance company's solicitor, they'll guide you as to what will happen.

Haha, even the engineer who came out to look at the damage to my car couldn't believe they had the cheek to claim. As he said "It's just the claim culture these days".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Haha, even the engineer who came out to look at the damage to my car couldn't believe they had the cheek to claim. As he said "It's just the claim culture these days".

Fair play to Insurance company for fighting claim..

Note my relative had something similar a couple of year back they rear ended somebody very minor at same speed to you and had a witness in car as well ,, engineered examined her car and could not believe she was being hit with two claims ,,
    they only found out when then went to re-new insurance that the insurance company paid out 22 grand in personall injuries claim... But it looks like your insurance company are willing to contest claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The court date is in two weeks and I'm just wondering what to expect?

My guess is that the other guy (the plaintiff, you are the defendant) will do a 'no show'. His 'no foal, no fee' lawyers will be left with the expense. Might make them a bit more selective in future. A forlorn hope!

Once he sees that the insurance is contesting it and is prepared to show up in court with witnesses, he will know the game is up. The whole point of frivolous claims is that that there is an expectation that the insurance company will cave in and write a cheque, rather than go the full mile. Which, thankfully, they seem to be up for in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Insurance companies are cracking down on the exaggerated endemic personal injury claims. It might even get settled on the court steps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Insurance companies are cracking down on the exaggerated endemic personal injury claims. It might even get settled on the court steps.

If it gets settled on the steps of the court, that's hardly cracking down, is it?

Advertisement