Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue siezed my items

Options
  • 05-05-2021 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for some advice. I recently purchased 2 8 litre kegs of beer from a company in Italy. I just received a letter from revenue saying they've seized them!
    I'm open to correction, but a quick Google search says I'm allowed 16 litres of beer....
    I spoke with someone in revenue and they advised me to write ( snail mail, not email) to them and they might decide to release it but only if I pay another €30 !
    This is a product that's not available in Ireland, and as far as I'm concerned I paid the taxes in Italy. Any advice as to how to proceed with this or should I just let it go....

Eta revenue said its because its unaccompanied, different when I'm coming home from holidays. Ffs we can't even leave our own counry yet

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

now online wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just looking for some advice. I recently purchased 2 8 litre kegs of beer from a company in Italy. I just received a letter from revenue saying they've seized them!
    I'm open to correction, but a quick Google search says I'm allowed 16 litres of beer....
    I spoke with someone in revenue and they advised me to write ( snail mail, not email) to them and they might decide to release it but only if I pay another €20 !
    This is a product that's not available in Ireland, and as far as I'm concerned I paid the taxes in Italy. Any advice as to how to proceed with this or should I just let it go....

Thanks

Don't let it go anyway.
    Double check the law, contact the supplier in Italy to see what happens when they send to other countries
    Gather all info that you can and get your product back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Gormal

This should help.

Additional criteria apply, if you order alcohol from another European Union (EU) Member State (for example from a website). In such cases, the seller in that EU country should appoint a tax representative established in Ireland to pay excise duty. If the seller does not do this, the product may be liable to be detained, seized and forfeited.

Consumers should check when making such orders that the seller has organised to pay excise duty in Ireland. Every EU Member State sets their own rates of excise. However, excise duty must be paid in the country where the product will be consumed and at that country’s rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Importing alcohol and tobacco requires excise duty to be paid. This is what you are doing and is different from personal travel duty-free allowances.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Don't let it go anyway.
    Double check the law, contact the supplier in Italy to see what happens when they send to other countries
    Gather all info that you can and get your product back!

The law is exactly as Revenue have stated

You need a licence to import alcohol to Ireland from elsewhere in the EU by mail/courier. The OP hasn't got one. The 16l applies to bringing it with you by boat/plane.

Revenue are entitled to destroy it. They can decide to exercise discretion and let you pay the duty but are not required to. What circumstances apply elsewhere are irrelevant.

They will not, ever, under any circumstances just hand it over.

Its either pay up, or have it destroyed and request a refund from the supplier - which may not be easy; but they were responsible for sending it here without following the rules.

Advertisement