Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing €500 Travel fine?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 conorking

Hi,

Just wondering how things panned out for you? I am in a similar situation (travelling abroad to accompany my daughter to a medical appointment) and am going to court over this.

Would appreciate an update.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

As the COVID travel restrictions are no longer in force your reasons for going to court are entirely different. The OP's experience would therefore not be relevant to your circumstances.

My reasons are almost identical. I am going to court now for travel to an airport during 2021 (when covid restrictions were in place).

My ‘reasonable excuses’ include those specifically listed in the Regulations (like the OP) and have similar documentary evidence.

Just wondering how the OP’s case played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Apologies, my misunderstanding. I thought your travel with your daughter was current rather than during COVID travel restrictions.

For what it is worth I regularly had to travel (driving within Ireland) for both work and family reasons during the 5km and 20km restrictions and never had a problem at any checkpoints.

I had the paperwork with me but it was rarely if ever asked for or checked. Any gardaí were polite and friendly and if anything seemed to be relieved to have someone passing through to break the monotony of standing at the roadside for hours in all weather.

If you have all the documentary evidence supporting your travel I'd try contacting the prosecuting Garda and ask if the prosecution can be withdrawn by consent on the day in court (but do turn up with all the documents on the day).

If the prosecuting Garda agrees it should just be a formality to have the charge withdrawn in court on the day. If not, have your documentation at the ready to argue your case.

I attended court today and thankfully all went well. I presented documents that proved I had a legitimate reason for travel outside of Ireland and the case was struck out.

Interestingly those very same documents were presented to the ‘Cancelling Authority’ when I first appealed the fine but they were rejected because some clown in there felt they weren’t reasonable grounds for such travel. At least the judge could interpret the law better than those jokers.

Thankfully this ordeal is over but my message to everyone is to not pay any fine (mine was €2000). Even people who didn’t turn up at court were only fined €300 in absence. Anyone who held their hands up and said they made a mistake only had to pay a €100 donation to charity.

• Advertisement

This has to be the most pathetic embarrassing comment on this whole thread. The guy did nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

2nd most pathetic embarrassing comment. The most pathetic embarrassing comment was commenting on it two years after the fact…

What has time got to do with it? I searched the forum for someone who faced a similar issue to what I was facing. I read the thread from start to finish to learn how it went. It doesn’t matter when Homer posted his embarrassing comment.

Go away.

Advertisement