Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What places have closed during the pandemic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Cienciano wrote: »
    Can't believe Ricks is gone, was my drunken eating place for the last 15 years.

I went once, simply because I'd heard so many people talking about it.

Very disappointing and some very odd clientele.

In fairness, I did make the mistake of going in daylight, and sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Howard's Way in rathgar looks like it's gone.

It's gone a good while now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I went once, simply because I'd heard so many people talking about it.

Very disappointing and some very odd clientele.

In fairness, I did make the mistake of going in daylight, and sober.

Rookie error that

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

On dame st?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah even though it got surpassed by the likes of Bunsen, Wowburger, etc its still sad to see it go. It had become an institution for burgers after pints for the last 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bunsen is the best, but even sober I'd prefer ricks to a lot of the gourmet places. It was a perfect location for me too. Sad to see it go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Bunsen is the best, but even sober I'd prefer ricks to a lot of the gourmet places. It was a perfect location for me too. Sad to see it go

Wondering how the hotel is going to use this space if at all. It's a very tight but extremely busy corner for pedestrians and I could see that often it was hard to enter or exit Rick's through the crowds of people waiting to cross the road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still down as a food unit on the planning. All the offices above are becoming hotel rooms so they likely didn't want the noise and burger smells til late from below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Some amount of businesses gone from the 3rd lockdown. Have noticed lots of branding taken down all over.

Hopefully in a few months, those that are left get the massive cash injection needed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GAP currently saying they will close all stores by July and go online-only, presumably to see if landlords blink - but maybe not

They have two standalone stores (Blanch and Dundrum) and a significant concession in Arnotts.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gap-takes-on-landlords-in-shop-closure-plan-cxk9dqnhq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

L1011 wrote: »
    GAP currently saying they will close all stores by July and go online-only, presumably to see if landlords blink - but maybe not

They have two standalone stores (Blanch and Dundrum) and a significant concession in Arnotts.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gap-takes-on-landlords-in-shop-closure-plan-cxk9dqnhq

They are in the same group as Banana Republic who have already done so a couple of years back so will have the data from that move. Would be a pity, the outlet in Blanch can have some gems amidst the tat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Insomnia and Cafe Java in Donnybrook both went during the lockdowns, though a different cafe has set up where Cafe Java was.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ll miss there too...after a feed of pints to tuck into one of those massive burgers before getting a taxi home was a pure joy, they were massive in every sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Strumms wrote: »
    I’ll miss there too...after a feed of pints to tuck into one of those massive burgers before getting a taxi home was a pure joy, they were massive in every sense.

We'll have to pour one out for Ricks when this is over. It's a sad time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Rick's was bleedin awful, I'd be more upset to see BK/ McDonalds closed as has been claimed. Strange that they would, are they predicting that post Covid they won't have the amount of office staff nearby to sustain two joints on the same street?

BK could be strategic. Imagine their lease was up in January. Bail out until May or June then ask to move back in. Landlord isn't likely to find another tenant are they (and I assume it has planning permission as a fast food outlet- they're even less likely to find one of them in time)
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    . Good few units in SSG Centre hollowed out too. .

Always been a mystery to me how that centre survived at all with its odd shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

SSG gets by from TK Maxx, Boots and Dunnes pretty much. The other units open and close all the time. Except the barbers with the metal knight, I can remember that being there in 1992!
    I actually love SSG shopping centre, always have, I miss going there every day on my lunch breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I noticed staff in Bennetton SSG doing some clear out. Maybe just moving stock, plenty of shops have signs that there is no cash or stock on the premises. But hard to see how they can sustain a unit there and on Grafton Street.

SSG has always had an interesting flow in tenants. They also have an Easons which for some reason is open. Not sure if it can argue school supplies as it doesn't sell any school books. Peter Marks has closed down there in the last 2 weeks. I'd imagine it's far from the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Oh who can forget Asha on the top floor, I first went there about 30 years ago and it's still going strong selling drug paraphernalia and other curiosities

I noticed staff in Bennetton SSG doing some clear out. Maybe just moving stock, plenty of shops have signs that there is no cash or stock on the premises. But hard to see how they can sustain a unit there and on Grafton Street.

SSG has always had an interesting flow in tenants. They also have an Easons which for some reason is open. Not sure if it can argue school supplies as it doesn't sell any school books. Peter Marks has closed down there in the last 2 weeks. I'd imagine it's far from the only one.

News media and office supplies are allowed. Most Eason branches have closed off other areas where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

That's fair enough. That branch does not have any part blocked off but the one in Blanch does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Abercrombie and Fitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

SSG gets by from TK Maxx, Boots and Dunnes pretty much.

Strange such a big place can be viable off three shops.

TK Maxx. Jaysis. Where style goes to die. It's like a SVDP shop. Except in the early 90's. And an SVDP where everything costs 240 quid but the label claims this is a bargain as it used to be 480.

Was on Grafton St today, a few of the high end brand stores (Hugo Boss, Tommy Hilfiger, not sure you would call them high end but North Face and Canada Goose) have their insides cleared out, hopefully only to deter the smash and grab that happened at Canada Goose, as I'd be partial to HB and TH myself.

Certainly more people enjoying a walk around than when I last ventured in in January (weather conditions vastly different mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

The North Face was ram raided during the 1st lockdown. Quite a few stores on Grafton Street emptied out the stock after that for security.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

SSG gets by from TK Maxx, Boots and Dunnes pretty much. The other units open and close all the time. Except the barbers with the metal knight, I can remember that being there in 1992!
    I actually love SSG shopping centre, always have, I miss going there every day on my lunch breaks.

Tribe has been there since i first came to dublin for college near 20 years ago. Remember getting a pair of carharrt cords in there

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Probus Wines on Fenian St is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

mindhorn wrote: »
    Probus Wines on Fenian St is gone.

That's long gone I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Possibly but nearly sure it was open pre-pandemic.

It went up for rent as a stripped out shell (including what had been Mizzoni next door) early on the pandemic (edit: actually start of August, so not that early)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know how long Saburritos on Dame Street is gone? Passed by a few days ago for the first time in a good while and noticed its been replaced by a Pakistani/Indian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Carluccis and Starbucks on Dawson st. Subway on merrion st lower.

Advertisement