Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-10-2019, 07:17   #61
Fr Tod Umptious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Miller View Post
You say this sort of stuff like you're any better. You hide behind being against Scottish independence because it's "bad for Ireland", yet the truth is alot more basic, you have a penchant for all things British/UK.
I don't hide behind it because it's bad for Ireland, I'm pretty open about saying it's bad for Ireland.

And I lack a penchant for all things British/UK as equally as I lack a penchant for all things Scottish.

I'm pretty ambivalent about Catalan independence, because I don't think it would have the same effect on Ireland as Scottish independence would.

So I'm not hiding behind anything.

Last edited by Fr Tod Umptious; 17-10-2019 at 07:29.
Fr Tod Umptious is online now  
Advertisement
17-10-2019, 07:21   #62
Fr Tod Umptious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
considering how the EU feels about our rate, I would only imagine on the very slim chance of them getting back into the EU, that not dropping it below 19% would be the basis of any agreement to let them in to stop precisely that.
With the Catalan situation still unresolved Scotland may be a long way from EU membership so it could be a moot point.

With regards to a referendum campaign I can imagine the independence side offering their own versions of sunlit uplands and unicorns that the Leave campaign did for Brexit.
Fr Tod Umptious is online now  
17-10-2019, 09:28   #63
Aegir
Registered User
 
Aegir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dub in Glasgo View Post
Westminster decided Rockall was part of the UK and allocated it to Scotland with its own exclusion zone around it and fisheries is devolved to Scotland therefore Scotland is implementing Westminster law
Rubbish. The SNP were pandering to the Scottish fishing community in an attempt to prise Shetland away from the Lib Dems.
Aegir is offline  
Thanks from:
17-10-2019, 10:21   #64
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!
 
ancapailldorcha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayferg View Post
Don't dump links here please.
ancapailldorcha is online now  
17-10-2019, 18:41   #65
The Golden Miller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Tod Umptious View Post
I don't hide behind it because it's bad for Ireland, I'm pretty open about saying it's bad for Ireland.

And I lack a penchant for all things British/UK as equally as I lack a penchant for all things Scottish.

I'm pretty ambivalent about Catalan independence, because I don't think it would have the same effect on Ireland as Scottish independence would.

So I'm not hiding behind anything.
You generalise about "republicans" on here. You're the flip side of the same predictable coin on any matters relating to Britain
The Golden Miller is offline  
Advertisement
17-10-2019, 19:10   #66
otnomart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Tod Umptious View Post
With the Catalan situation still unresolved Scotland may be a long way from EU membership so it could be a moot point.
The only EU Country that was against Scottish independence was Spain.
That changed after Brexit.
Spain now would not oppose Scotland secessing from another non-EU Country.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1NP26D



I can actually see France being in favour of Scotland gaining independence and joining the EU.
It would mean access to Scottish fishing waters for French fishing vessels.
otnomart is offline  
18-10-2019, 00:25   #67
Overheal
Covfefe Connoisseur
 
Overheal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 56,584
Send a message via ICQ to Overheal Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
Quote:
Originally Posted by US2 View Post
This "we voted remain" is nonsense. Should gay marriage still be illegal in rosscomon ?
If they wanted to secede I mean sure, wish them luck
Overheal is offline  
18-10-2019, 09:16   #68
Aegir
Registered User
 
Aegir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,771
if the SNP want independence, they should get the English to vote on it.
Aegir is offline  
18-10-2019, 10:21   #69
bob mcbob
Registered User
 
bob mcbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
if the SNP want independence, they should get the English to vote on it.
Agreed all you need there is a bus with a catchy slogan on the side.
bob mcbob is offline  
Advertisement
18-10-2019, 12:52   #70
rock22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 862
The SNP, while saying they want to join the EU after an independence vote are also saying they want to retain their own currency etc. They appear to believe they would have the same exceptions the UK won for itself.

I think the Scottish are unlikely to vote for independence. Independence creates uncertainty and most Scottish people are rathr conservative, especially in matters fiscal.
rock22 is offline  
18-10-2019, 12:59   #71
A Dub in Glasgo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 15,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock22 View Post
The SNP, while saying they want to join the EU after an independence vote are also saying they want to retain their own currency etc. They appear to believe they would have the same exceptions the UK won for itself.
If Scotland becomes independent it will have to have its own currency (which they can peg to Sterling if they wish). They have to agree to adopt the Euro if they wish to join the EU but only when they meet the convergence criteria

https://theferret.scot/independent-s...join-the-euro/
A Dub in Glasgo is offline  
18-10-2019, 13:14   #72
Jim2007
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrymcorry View Post
A
Do you believe that it would be in the best interests of the Scottish people to become an indpendent country within the EU?
Why do you assume they'd join the EU when EFTA/EEA would better suit their purposes?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrymcorry View Post
I, as an Irish republican, would be delighted to see an indpendent Scotland as I believe they could be our best friend within the EU now with England gone.
We've got plenty of very good friend in the EU and our diplomats are very good at making use of them. It's seems this is more about you and your interests that what is best for Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrymcorry View Post
Also, think about the benefits that Scottish independence could have for Irish reunification.
If and it is a very big if, Irish unity will happen in accordance with the GFA provisions as we have signed up to. Noting to do with Scotland.
Jim2007 is offline  
18-10-2019, 13:18   #73
Jim2007
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Tod Umptious View Post
With the Catalan situation still unresolved Scotland may be a long way from EU membership so it could be a moot point.
You need to open you mind a bit. There is noting stopping Scotland from joining EFTA and accessing the single market via the EEA agreement, the same as Norway. In fact it would probably suit them much better than EU membership.
Jim2007 is offline  
18-10-2019, 13:20   #74
Jim2007
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dub in Glasgo View Post
If Scotland becomes independent it will have to have its own currency (which they can peg to Sterling if they wish).
There is no obligation on them to do so, they could just adapt Sterling if they wished. A Scottish central bank and government issuing bonds etc... in Sterling would cause headaches for the BOE, but's life.
Jim2007 is offline  
18-10-2019, 13:25   #75
A Dub in Glasgo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 15,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2007 View Post
There is no obligation on them to do so, they could just adapt Sterling if they wished. A Scottish central bank and government issuing bonds etc... in Sterling would cause headaches for the BOE, but's life.
Yes and that would be their own currency
A Dub in Glasgo is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet