Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Permanent Residency FAQ

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

This post has been deleted.

Anybody can apply for PR, you don't have to have ever lived in Canada. Even if you have lived in Canada for a number of years you may still not qualify for PR. Express entry is a points based system and having lived in Canada for a time only gives you a few extra points.

They have a survey on the website that takes all your info and determines what the best approach to qualifying for PR might be.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Having lived in Canada previously isn't a hard requirement for PR. That survey only tells you possible avenues for entry so it will only ask questions regarding hard requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

There is no consequence.

No age limit but the amount of points you get for age goes down as you get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

The processing time according to the cic site says 8 weeks.

Obviously above is an average world wide. Just wondering if anyone here could let me know how long it has taken their application to be processed?

The processing time according to the cic site says 8 weeks.

Obviously above is an average world wide. Just wondering if anyone here could let me know how long it has taken their application to be processed?

PR applications take on average 6 months to process after you have submitted a full application. Not sure where you are getting 8 weeks from.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Says 57 days processing time for first time PR card applications from the site I linked. Is this something different?

Is there somewhere else I should be looking that mentions 6 months?

Says 57 days processing time for first time PR card applications from the site I linked. Is this something different?

I got mine in January of this year it took 6 months after I got my invitation to apply.

It's possible 8 weeks is the average time someone is likely to wait from the time they submit their initial express entry application to the time they receive their invitation to apply?

• Advertisement

Yes the PR card is different. When you land in Canada as a PR, that starts the process of producing the PR card. So approx. 57 days after you land, your PR card arrives.

But the quoted processing time for the document to allow you to land as PR (called Confirmation of Permanent Residency) is 6 months for Express Entry. Some get it in less time, for some it takes more (it took about 7 months for me)

IvQxiHz.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Elite Woad Raider

I have been in Canada 9 months now on a 2year IEC visa. I would like to get PR but I'm not sure if I qualify. I work as a security guard and I have a 3 year common law degree from Ireland. I don't think my employment qualifies as skilled work.

Does that mean I don't qualify for PR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Hey Elite Woad Raider,

As far as I've been told, I don't think security would be considered as counting towards the skilled Canadian work experience.

If you are here with your spouse and they had skilled experience you can go on their application.

I did read some news recently that would allow people to apply again for a 2 year IEC and not need to go home or interrupt your stay.

Keep us posted!

Edit:

Maybe with your degree there is a route to PR, but without having 1 year of skilled work exp I think you need to meet finance means like $10K in savings *Don't quote me on that, but I know there is some catch on express entry without the 1 year skilled work exp.*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I work as a security guard and I have a 3 year common law degree from Ireland.
    "Security guards and related security service occupations" are Skill Level C.
    If your job is skill level C or D
    you may be able to come to Canada as a provincial nominee (all skill types/levels),
    you may be able to come to Canada through the Atlantic Immigration Pilot (skill type/level 0, A, B, or C), or
    you may be able to work here for up to two years.
    MOre info; https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/find-national-occupation-code.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I have been in Canada 9 months now on a 2year IEC visa. I would like to get PR but I'm not sure if I qualify. I work as a security guard and I have a 3 year common law degree from Ireland. I don't think my employment qualifies as skilled work.

Does that mean I don't qualify for PR?

Wait until you've 12 months before applying, it'll put you under the CEC type. Do do do sent your degree in for validation with WES now, they are so ****ing slow. Expect it to take 12 weeks so do it now. In month 11 of your stay in canada get all your other stuff ready.

**I'm submitting PR this week, waiting on 2 docs

Doylers wrote: »
    Wait until you've 12 months before applying, it'll put you under the CEC type. Do do do sent your degree in for validation with WES now, they are so ****ing slow. Expect it to take 12 weeks so do it now. In month 11 of your stay in canada get all your other stuff ready.

**I'm submitting PR this week, waiting on 2 docs

You won't qualify for CEC if the work experience in Canada is not in a skilled position. Security guard on it's own is not skilled, it would need to be a position with some supervisory role in order to qualify under CEC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement