Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Adoption

Options
  • 09-05-2021 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I hope you’ll all have a great Sunday first.

So I wanted to write this message to I guess seek information.

My partner and I (gay couple, French, the both of us), have been trying to grow our family of 4 (us and two doggies), we went through a bit of everything and being a gay couple adds its own level of difficulty (surrogacy abroad is unfortunately too expensive, surrogacy in Ireland too risky in term of the legal frame, intercountry adoption seems extremely complicated for us, it seems that only the USA are the option, we went to an adoption meeting here in Cork with an American agency and ended up knowing that the “fees” that surround the adoption itself are around 80K, so again not an option.
    We thought about foster care, however contacting agencies here in Ireland, we were told that one of us have to give up on his job so he can be 100.100 with the child/children we will be taking care of. So again not an option. I honestly felt for so long that all the doors we were trying to open will automatically shut down in front of us.
    We have a meeting with Tusla by the end of the month for a domestic adoption process but not being an Irish citizen + having a look online and seeing the numbers of children being adopted by a couple not being like family members, relatives etc … seem extremely low. It’s honestly our last hope. I came here I guess to get feedbacks/experiences on people trying domestic adoption and not being part of the child family.
    Did it work? How long did it take you from start to finish etc etc.

Thanks again for reading and have a great Sunday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

barry1708 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I hope you’ll all have a great Sunday first.

So I wanted to write this message to I guess seek information.

My partner and I (gay couple, French, the both of us), have been trying to grow our family of 4 (us and two doggies), we went through a bit of everything and being a gay couple adds its own level of difficulty (surrogacy abroad is unfortunately too expensive, surrogacy in Ireland too risky in term of the legal frame, intercountry adoption seems extremely complicated for us, it seems that only the USA are the option, we went to an adoption meeting here in Cork with an American agency and ended up knowing that the “fees” that surround the adoption itself are around 80K, so again not an option.
    We thought about foster care, however contacting agencies here in Ireland, we were told that one of us have to give up on his job so he can be 100.100 with the child/children we will be taking care of. So again not an option. I honestly felt for so long that all the doors we were trying to open will automatically shut down in front of us.
    We have a meeting with Tusla by the end of the month for a domestic adoption process but not being an Irish citizen + having a look online and seeing the numbers of children being adopted by a couple not being like family members, relatives etc … seem extremely low. It’s honestly our last hope. I came here I guess to get feedbacks/experiences on people trying domestic adoption and not being part of the child family.
    Did it work? How long did it take you from start to finish etc etc.

Thanks again for reading and have a great Sunday.

I dont have much information but try here

https://www.facebook.com/irishgaydads
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1680495468867496/?ref=pages_group_cta

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement