Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dentist malpractice

Options
  • 07-05-2021 1:04pm

I suspect a dentist cut a groove into my tooth while polishing it. How do I get an accessment to see if I have a case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Might be better to ask them about it first to see if they believe that they have caused it, could have been genuine mistake they didn't spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How do I get an accessment to see if I have a case?

A 'case'..... for what?

Mental trauma? You lie awake at night with anxiety.

Cosmetic embarrassment? Your friends laugh at you. A child on a bus asked: 'Mummy, look at that man with a scratch on his tooth!'

Loss of earnings? You were formerly a model for Oral-B ads.

How much are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I suspect a dentist cut a groove into my tooth........

"Suspect" gives me the impression your not even sure if they did it or not, not a great start to any potential case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I suspect a dentist cut a groove into my tooth while polishing it. How do I get an accessment to see if I have a case?

Contact a solicitor who can seek a liability and causation report on your behalf

Might be better to ask them about it first to see if they believe that they have caused it, could have been genuine mistake they didn't spot.

Yes and turkeys will vote for Christmas

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    A 'case'..... for what?

Mental trauma? You lie awake at night with anxiety.

Cosmetic embarrassment? Your friends laugh at you. A child on a bus asked: 'Mummy, look at that man with a scratch on his tooth!'

Loss of earnings? You were formerly a model for Oral-B ads.

How much are you looking for?

I don't see what the joke is. It's a front tooth that could turn to a cavity

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

McCrack wrote: »
    Contact a solicitor who can seek a liability and causation report on your behalf

They will run with it regardless and the insurance company will probably settle because it's just too expensive to fight it in the courts if one of the Santa Claus judges happen to be working that week. Meanwhile the rest of us pay inflated premiums, some country! Meanwhile the rest of us work for our cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

First thing would be to get the opinion of another dentist.

They will be able to determine the likely root cause of the damage...

You’ll need said opinion if you want to claim..

I don't see what the joke is. It's a front tooth that could turn to a cavity

The ‘joke’ aspect of this situation is that you haven’t mentioned any effort on your part to get the original practitioner to fix the problem. Instead, you post on an internet forum looking for advice on how to sue.

The ‘joke’ aspect of this situation is that you haven’t mentioned any effort on your part to get the original practitioner to fix the problem. Instead, you post on an internet forum looking for advice on how to sue.

Clearly the OP can make a decision whether to go back to the dentist that botched up or find another perhaps more competent one and yes this is the legal discussion forum so it's probably the correct place for the OP to ask

• Advertisement

Clearly the OP can make a decision whether to go back to the dentist that botched up or find another perhaps more competent one and yes this is the legal discussion forum so it's probably the correct place for the OP to ask

It's not. For suspected medical malpractice, an internet forum is the last place you should go to for advice.

If the original dentist won't/can't fix the problem, the OP should talk to a solicitor.

It's not. For suspected medical malpractice, an internet forum is the last place you should go to for advice.

If the original dentist won't/can't fix the problem, the OP should talk to a solicitor.

The OP asked for a steer where to go to get their issue assessed, it's clearly a professional negligence query that a solicitor can assist and the legal discussion forum is the appropriate place to ask

All you have done is replied to the OP in a disparaging, condescending and snarky way which could well reflect your real life ego

All you have done is replied to the OP in a disparaging, condescending and snarky way which could well reflect your real life ego

And precisely what you just did. Spare us your moral superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, the polishing attachments used by Dentists have non-cutting surfaces, they are either nylon brushes which are firmer than a toothbrush, or rubber cups, neither will cut a groove in your tooth. People often feel the surfaces of their teeth feel different when all the crap is cleaned off them. If the Dentist was polishing a white filling, what you could be feeling is the joint between the filling and the tooth. Before you rack up legal expenses, might be wise to go back and let the Dentist look at it, usually it takes a couple of seconds to polish any rough/sharp areas.

Thanks everybody for your replies

Advertisement