Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC grades 2021

Options
  • 08-05-2021 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

So our boss has delivered a guideline for how we are to do these grades. There are no national guidelines.
    It's farcical this situation.
    An exam should have been sent to schools and done in class time.
    They don't really care about the JC.
    Our guidelines talk about cba/engagement / house exams.
    But is there anything to stop me just giving them the grade I think they will get. Most of my students are ordinary level and need a constant boot to do any work
    I know the guys who are honours.
    Why should I follow some formula?.
    Kids tend to do better on the day anyway and JC English is has had levels lowered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Bobtheman wrote: »
    So our boss has delivered a guideline for how we are to do these grades. There are no national guidelines.
    It's farcical this situation.
    An exam should have been sent to schools and done in class time.
    They don't really care about the JC.
    Our guidelines talk about cba/engagement / house exams.
    But is there anything to stop me just giving them the grade I think they will get. Most of my students are ordinary level and need a constant boot to do any work
    I know the guys who are honours.
    Why should I follow some formula?.
    Kids tend to do better on the day anyway and JC English is has had levels lowered.

Have you had a department meeting? Best practice would be to come up with a plan with your subject colleagues and all do the same thing.

We are giving a short common exam, but basing result on other elements too. Less prescriptive suits me as it means I can give students the mark I think they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I only ever have one JC English class so I find it hard to figure out grades as by the time I get back to 3rd year I forget!

Advertisement