Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Markitron wrote: »
    Never really understood the hardcore love-in for GB, Gerstmann is a knowitall cynical twat.

Through all their staff iterations, they've never come across as anything other than the kind of people I'd like to hang around with. They were funny without being mean, and their after hours shows at E3 were for me, way better than the shows themselves. The site is also inclusive , without being over the top PC culture, and they're of a similar age to myself, so easier to listen to than the likes of the young brigade at Gamespot - specially when the conversation drifted to things like what was going on in their lives, which often aligned with myself.

Gerstmann - despite his jaded seeming personality, often sees the good in things - like his surprise fondness for recent Ghost Recon games, and hes never been afraid to call out bullsh1t - be it advertisers pressuring reviews, the opening statement to Phil Spencer 'So, when are we going to stop releasing broken games?' .

I hope the site continues, but It'll be hard to capture that original magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sumo Digital are apparently working on "a AAA title based on one of the worlds best known and best-loved fantasy franchises".

https://twitter.com/sarahlongthorne/status/1389893136416116737?s=20

Something set in Middle Earth then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Sumo Digital are apparently working on "a AAA title based on one of the worlds best known and best-loved fantasy franchises".

https://twitter.com/sarahlongthorne/status/1389893136416116737?s=20

Something set in Middle Earth then?
    Would that not be their latest game based on Robin Hood, Hood: Outlaws & Legends?

gizmo wrote: »
    Would that not be their latest game based on Robin Hood, Hood: Outlaws & Legends?

I guess it could be if you consider Hood to be AAA? It's a fairly nebulous label after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Sony facing lawsuit over PlayStation Store exclusivity
    Platform holder stopped allowing third party stores to sell digital downloads in 2019

Sony Interactive Entertainment is up against a class-action lawsuit by consumers regarding exclusivity on its digital storefront.

That's according to a report from Bloomberg, which claims that Sony is accused of operating a monopoly by only allowing digital games to be bought through its online store.

Sony's PlayStation store has become the only place that players can purchase digital games, after Sony stopped allowing third-party retailers to sell download codes two years ago.

The suit states that consumers may spend up to 175% more to download a game on the PlayStation store than they would on purchasing a physical copy.

"Sony's monopoly allows it to charge supracompetitive prices for digital PlayStation games, which are significantly higher than their physical counterparts sold in a competitive retail market, and significantly higher than they would be in a competitive retail market for digital games," consumers said in the filing.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-05-06-sony-facing-lawsuit-over-playstation-store-exclusivity

Looks like there was a possible data breach on epicgames.com. Change passwords and Add 2FA if not already active.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/epicgames-com-has-suffered-a-possible-data-breach-exposure-that-could-include-106353275-emails-password-and-usernames.421691/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a very good chance Sony are going to lose that.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's a very good chance Sony are going to lose that.

It's a good thing too tbh. Really need competitive digital market places and pc has that. It's one of the reasons I'm so slow to move digital only for PlayStation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Looks like there was a possible data breach on epicgames.com. Change passwords and Add 2FA if not already active.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/epicgames-com-has-suffered-a-possible-data-breach-exposure-that-could-include-106353275-emails-password-and-usernames.421691/

I pay using PayPal and have 2FA on since day 1.
    I should be okay, I guess?
    Should I still do a p/w change? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

It's a good thing too tbh. Really need competitive digital market places and pc has that. It's one of the reasons I'm so slow to move digital only for PlayStation.

I got the disc PS5 and now most of my games are downloads this generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't Epic do some kind of promotion to encourage 2FA?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance had a very low key release today, basically the PS2 game with a resolution bump.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nothing confirmed yet, and a staffer from Ars Technica commented on that thread that they haven't seen or heard anything from their channels that would make them think this is true.

No harm in changing your password anyway. Most likely, the people getting hit were reusing a password from some other site, which did get hit.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Nothing confirmed yet, and a staffer from Ars Technica commented on that thread that they haven't seen or heard anything from their channels that would make them think this is true.

No harm in changing your password anyway. Most likely, the people getting hit were reusing a password from some other site, which did get hit.

Better to be safe than sorry. In this day and age you'd be crazy to be using the same password everywhere anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Better to be safe than sorry. In this day and age you'd be crazy to be using the same password everywhere anyway.

I don't use the same password everywhere.

I use the same 3 passwords everywhere :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Pff, passphrases are where it's at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It'll be interesting see how all these storefront solutions work out. A 30% margin for digital retail does seem really high. So many software companies are huge loss making ventures (or apparently loss making for tax purposes) with gigantic share prices based on the presumption they'll have a monopoly in the future. It all feels very unsustainable to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

None of them are loss making. All the profits are in tax havens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Lost Judgment, the sequel to hit legal thriller Judgment, releases worldwide on September 24, 2021 for PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One!

https://youtu.be/VDgaA9RcGLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Skate city is out today, 13 euro on psn (9 euro if you have ps plus until the 14th may). Lo-fi side scrolling skateboard with sixteenth realistic tricks. Looks fun.

https://kotaku.com/skate-city-filled-the-skate-sized-hole-in-my-heart-1846847221?utm_campaign=Kotaku&utm_content=1620409602&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook

• Advertisement

Smyths is open for click and collect again. I tried checking 2 games out this week but they are showing out of stock so can't preorder it for in store collection. Tried Resi 8 and tons in store.

Ubisoft games developed by internal studios (and external contractors that obviously aren't important) will be labelled as 'A Ubisoft Original'

Digestive Biscuits: An Aldi original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ubisoft games developed by internal studios (and external contractors that obviously aren't important) will be labelled as 'A Ubisoft Original'

I think 'Just another Ubisoft' would probably be more apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Product placement in the next Far Cry game, where the character you play takes a bite out of a chocolate digestive before blowing someone's head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

So 'A Ubisoft Original' makes it Youbisoft rather than Oobisoft. I always forget which it's meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

So 'A Ubisoft Original' makes it Youbisoft rather than Oobisoft. I always forget which it's meant to be.

People that pronounce it Ooobisoft sniff bicycle seats and listen to Coldplay.
    Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Product placement in the next Far Cry game, where the character you play has to collect 12 pieces of a chocolate digestive before taking a bite out of it and blowing someone's head off, provided their handgun has at least 3 damage upgrades.

FTFY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Don't forget you can buy the Timesaver Bundle that already has 10 of the digestive pieces, to stop you from having to actually play the game too much.

I hear Chris Martin in pronounces it "youbisoft"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I hear Gwyneth Paltrow is releasing a line of bicycle seats that smell like her candles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They should change the name to “Uaresoft”, so it sounds like you’re picking a fight whenever you say it to someone in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

They should change the name to “Uaresoft”, so it sounds like you’re picking a fight whenever you say it to someone in Ireland.

I think they're also the developers for the new erectile dysfunction simulator...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ubishaft more like as you get shafted buying one of their games

This sounds class, supposed to be released late last year but got delayed, coming soon to pc and Xbox. Really hoping it makes it's way too PlayStation as well. Published by the amazing Anapurna who got the cast of James McEvoy, daisy Ridley and Willem Dafoe. A game based on a 12 minute loop where you have to figure out what's going on.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    This sounds class, supposed to be released late last year but got delayed, coming soon to pc and Xbox. Really hoping it makes it's way too PlayStation as well. Published by the amazing Anapurna who got the cast of James McEvoy, daisy Ridley and Willem Dafoe. A game based on a 12 minute loop where you have to figure out what's going on.

Oooh it must be coming soon. Was hoping we'd hear something during the summer press events.

Where was that game revealed before? Looks familiar and thought it was on State of Play.
    Maybe it was that Series X showcase where everyone was streaming in? Only XBox showcase I watched, I think.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Where was that game revealed before? Looks familiar and thought it was on State of Play.
    Maybe it was that Series X showcase where everyone was streaming in? Only XBox showcase I watched, I think.

I think it debuted at E3 2019? Maybe during the Microsoft event?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CastorTroy wrote: »

Pretty sure it was in the Xbox showcase, don't know if it was shown before that.

One of my favourite SNES games is coming to the Switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Didn't even know there was a sequel to this; loved playing it fadó fadó in ancient Ireland. Looks like they're low-balling it a little mind you; in this era of shiny remasters, this doesn't appear to be going in that direction.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Didn't even know there was a sequel to this; loved playing it fadó fadó in ancient Ireland. Looks like they're low-balling it a little mind you; in this era of shiny remasters, this doesn't appear to be going in that direction.

I'd rather it be good emulation of the original than to get the pixel art turned into a disgusting approximation of a mobile phone game.

I'd rather it be good emulation of the original than to get the pixel art turned into a disgusting approximation of a mobile phone game.

Which is the bastard cousin of Fornite's art style that everyone seems to be copying these days. Nothing would turn me off a game faster.

Markitron wrote: »
    Which is the bastard cousin of Fornite's art style that everyone seems to be copying these days. Nothing would turn me off a game faster.

Yep, the 'Dreamworks pictures CGI' look. Makes me vomit. And you know there's amazing artists working for these companies churning this soulless guff out because the execs look at the biggest games, see their art and mandate that their game must look exactly the same.

Don't know anything about this game but going to give this a shout out because it looks irish made and what's been written about it has been positive:

Edit: Toronto based studio. THIS IS CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

^^ DrinkBox Studios might want words about how blatant the Guacamelee art-style has been pilfered - albeit with slightly stiffer animation. Some of the gameplay elements look like blatant rip-offs.

Bonus points though on not hitting the Oirish stereotypes too hard.

Yep, the 'Dreamworks pictures CGI' look. Makes me vomit. And you know there's amazing artists working for these companies churning this soulless guff out because the execs look at the biggest games, see their art and mandate that their game must look exactly the same.

It is basically a war on facial textures and I'm sick of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

pixelburp wrote: »
    ^^ DrinkBox Studios might want words about how blatant the Guacamelee art-style has been pilfered - albeit with slightly stiffer animation. Some of the gameplay elements look like blatant rip-offs.

Bonus points though on not hitting the Oirish stereotypes too hard.

I wonder do Mexicans feel the same way watching a trailer of Guacamelee as I did watching that one.

I'm getting more samurai Jack vibes from it, and Guacamelee's art style wasn't particularly original either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It's Canadian made it seems

I'm getting more samurai Jack vibes from it, and Guacamelee's art style wasn't particularly original either.

It's not just the art style though; some of those gameplay set pieces - and elements like the fighting moves - looked very like Guacamelee. Again, yes it didn't invent a genre either but the trailer had a lot of similarities beyond coincidence for my blood lol

I'll take your word for it as I've not played guacamelee yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement