Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you book a trip to New York for Feb 2022?

Options
  • 11-04-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,
    Thinking about booking a trip to New York for middle of next Feb. Have a price of 5 nights b&b in a 4 star hotel off Times Square for €1500 incd flights and checked bag for hubby and I. I think this sounds like a good price but we have never been before so not sure! Also nervous to book due to covid. Really hope we won't be worrying about covid by then but who knows! Would you consider booking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

eabhaniamh wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thinking about booking a trip to New York for middle of next Feb. Have a price of 5 nights b&b in a 4 star hotel off Times Square for €1500 incd flights and checked bag for hubby and I. I think this sounds like a good price but we have never been before so not sure! Also nervous to book due to covid. Really hope we won't be worrying about covid by then but who knows! Would you consider booking?

I would but bring heavy warm clothes! It’s COLD!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 eabhaniamh

Thank you both. I realise it will be very cold but once we wrap up well that shouldn't be too much of a problem hopefully.
    Am interested to hear why we shouldn't stay around Times Square. I thought it would be very central to a lot of the sights. Where would you recommend staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

Thank you both. I realise it will be very cold but once we wrap up well that shouldn't be too much of a problem hopefully.
    Am interested to hear why we shouldn't stay around Times Square. I thought it would be very central to a lot of the sights. Where would you recommend staying?

I wouldn’t stay there personally, it’s too busy, noisy, but if that is just a base then fine. It’s also too touristy.

Personally, I prefer the upper west side. Again, great places to eat. I have a hotel which is my go to, know most of the staff...but that’s a personal thing.

Anywhere, close to the underground is centrally located basically. New York is the easiest city to get about in. Many of the best places to eat are in areas away from Times Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭knockoutned

Out of interest, what hotel do you stay in? Hotel Beacon or somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 eabhaniamh

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yes but don't stay around Times Square!

Make sure your hotel booking and flights are flexible just incase, but I'd say the risk is very low that things won't have re-opened by then.

I was thinking of the Riu plaza hotel. It’s on west 46th on “Restaurant Row” not exactly Times Square but close?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭snypers12

I’m after booking New York for February 2022 and really hoping we can go. I have booked my flights with aer lingus as I know they should look after us if Covid is going to stop us travelling. I booked my hotel through booking.com so that I don’t have to pay anything until arrival and there’s free cancellation. Thought it was the safest option in these times.
    Hi,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

snypers12 wrote: »
    I’m after booking New York for February 2022 and really hoping we can go. I have booked my flights with aer lingus as I know they should look after us if Covid is going to stop us travelling. I booked my hotel through booking.com so that I don’t have to pay anything until arrival and there’s free cancellation. Thought it was the safest option in these times.

I think that you should be fine. If all goes well you will have a fantastic time.
    Get as much advice that you can get as regards accessing everything to avoid queues. If you are doing the standard tourist trips be sure to book for Liberty Island and Ellis Island as this will cut waiting time.
    Take the Staten Island ferry ( free) in early evening to get great views of Manhattan etc. Central Park is great for strolling around but February can be very cold so wrap up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭snypers12

Edgware wrote: »
    I think that you should be fine. If all goes well you will have a fantastic time.
    Get as much advice that you can get as regards accessing everything to avoid queues. If you are doing the standard tourist trips be sure to book for Liberty Island and Ellis Island as this will cut waiting time.
    Take the Staten Island ferry ( free) in early evening to get great views of Manhattan etc. Central Park is great for strolling around but February can be very cold so wrap up well.

Thanks for the advice 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frejaya

Personally, no I definitely would not book for that time of year! February is around the coldest it can get in NYC, not to mention the snowiest. If you’ve ever flown through any of the airports on the east coast US, they have tons of issues when the weather is bad. I have spent nights sleeping on a bench in the airport because of how poorly they handle bad weather like fog, rain, and snow. You might be alright if you get a direct flight.

That’s just me personally though. It’s not worth it to me when I get there and everything is buried in snow and you can’t see the skyline or really enjoy the sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭knockoutned

I guess this is why the OP got such a good deal with flights and hotel.

When I living in the city, my uncle and his family had initially booked to come over for the October Mid term (great time to visit the city), but had to change it to the February one instead.

I emailed him beforehand to warn him how cold it would be and to tell his family to bring clothes similar to what he would wear skiing.

In typical Irish style, he didn't believe me that a city could be that cold, and didn't mention it to his family.

That February, the week they arrived, it was -16, with a wind chill below -20. I'll never forget the miserable looks on their faces when I met up with them.

This February it wasn't as cold, but it was still hit with a massive snow storm in mid-February. NYC is not a fun place to try and walk around in heavy snow. Crosswalks are a disaster as all the snow from the street is pushed across to the side into these 2-3 feet barriers, with little cut outs to get to the street. Good shoes are a must!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Staying in Times Square is like staying in Temple Bar. Look at hotels in Long Island City, better views of Manhattan and only 15 mins on the 7 train. By brother lived in the general area for a few years and it's closer to midtown than uptown and downtown areas.

I stayed in this hotel a few years ago and would highly recommend it. https://www.borohotel.com/

https://www.affinia.com/fifty-hotel-suites/special-offers/

If you are hell bent on staying in Manhattan I stayed in the Affinia 50 on 50th street. Best option is to email direct, mention you are Irish, as they tend to give good deals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

It's probably too late for OP but for anyone else planning a trip to New York I highly suggest staying in Long Island City in Queens. You are only one subway stop away from Midtown Manhattan yet hotels are a quarter of the price. Plus you'll also get that awe-inspiring view of the iconic New York skyline, something that you can't get amongst the Midtown towers. The subway trains run 24 hours a day so don't worry about missing the last train back to the hotel after a night out. (I think some lines close between 2am and 4am due to lower ridership during the covid pandemic but hopefully 24hr service resumes by Feb next year).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Times Square, midtown are fine. They are close to the major museums and if the theatres open, Broadway venues are all around. It's a well policed and central point to go from. It is also easy to take the subway or Uber to downtown and the better areas for dining. Sounds like you got a nice deal.

Advertisement