Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network adapter questions - "5g test" and "Hyper-V"

Options
  • 09-12-2020 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I recently got a new Wireless adapter (TP Link T3U). I can't work out what "5g test" means under "WiFi 2" in this screenshot. Does anyone know where this "5g test" text is generated?

Second thing is the "vEthernet (Ethernet)" and "vEthernet (WiFi 2)" which appear to have recently appeared. You can see them in the screenshot too. They also have text about "Hyper-V Ethernet Adapter". Anyone know what these are likely to relate to? I recently used a (trusted) remote desktop support from logmein123.com and I wonder have they been added since. I didn't notice them before but that's not to say they weren't there.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Isn't 5g test the name of the WiFi hotspot ?

and installing virtual machines and stuff does create software rather than physical network adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lordsheepface

"Isn't 5g test the name of the WiFi hotspot ?"

As in my SSID? No, it's not the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

"Isn't 5g test the name of the WiFi hotspot ?"

As in my SSID? No, it's not the name of it.
    Then who's WiFi you are connected to?

535763.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lordsheepface

The SSID that I'm connected to shows in the Windows 10 system tray listing when I click the WIFI icon.

There is no WIFI SSID around me called "5g test".

I am definitely not connected to a WIFI SSID called "5g test" which is why that text confuses me.

Advertisement