Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOCAL HISTORY:Help tracing any living realtives of Sligo Woman..

Options
  • 05-05-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

As the title suggest I am looking for assistance in tracing any living relatives of a Sligo woman called Adrienne Tighe. The girl in question was killed while out potholing in caves at Glencar. The accident happened on the 22nd September 1935 when she fell 90ft to her death at Tempall Shectric cave.

Now this is what I know about her family. Her parents were called Edward John and mother was Sarah M Tighe. They lived at Maugherboy firstly and later at Knocknaganny, and her father owned a bakery in the town. She also had the following siblings, James, Robert H, Mary L, Sarah E, Kathleen M, John A, Aloysins J, Cecilia M, Nina and Irene.

Also she had two aunties, Elizabeth Tighe who was unmarried and Maria, who married a man called Henry.

Her brother Robert is named as being a solicitor on the 1901 census. She is buried in a tomb towards the Markievicz Park end of Sligo Cemetery. I was at the grave a while ago and there doesn't seem to be any sign that it has been visited recently, so not sure if any family still live around.

If any of you can put me in the right direction or know anything on this family, I would love to get in touch with any living relatives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

This may just be coincidence so you might have to do some more digging to see if this person is the same. In 1899, the Lady Erin statue on Castle/Market street in Sligo was unveiled by the local Mayor at that time. His name was Edward John Tighe.
    These details can be seen on the statues right hand side as you look at it face on from Castle Street.
    If you find it is the same E.J.Tighe, I know his grandson and grand daughter and would be glad to help. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

whatswhat wrote: »
    This may just be coincidence so you might have to do some more digging to see if this person is the same. In 1899, the Lady Erin statue on Castle/Market street in Sligo was unveiled by the local Mayor at that time. His name was Edward John Tighe.
    These details can be seen on the statues right hand side as you look at it face on from Castle Street.
    If you find it is the same E.J.Tighe, I know his grandson and grand daughter and would be glad to help. Good Luck.
    Great information I will definitely be digging further on this one. Just having a quick look there at the 1901 census and the only Edward John on this is the man I spoke of earlier. There is two men named Edward Tighe, one 29 years of age and one 24 years of age, both their occupations is listed as Farmers. Now although it is not impossible, it is unlikely either of these men at their age were Mayor in 1899, where as Edward John is aged 59 in 1901.

Would you be able to PM me details of this gentleman's grandchildren, I would love to contact them and dig further. I have also found out that there is a retired state solicitor Thomas Tighe who lives in Ballymote, now this man may be no relation but as I mentioned in my original post Edward John has a son listed in the 1901 census called Robert who is 24 years of age and listed as a solicitor and it wouldn't be that uncommon that a son/nephew would continue a practice that a father/uncle had established.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Will do, no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

whatswhat wrote: »
    Will do, no bother.

There a gentleman called tighe in oxfield, drumcliffe who might be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnmcg

Hi
    Just wondering if you ever made any further progress on this topic

• Advertisement

Yes I did,I spoke with Aidan Mannion in the Record Room and he directed me to a man called Eddie Tighe who is related, he is involved with the Yacht Club in Rosses Point, I called there twice but it was closed and no local had a number for him, he doesn't live out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnmcg

Thanks for the update. I have friends in Sligo who may be able to a bit of research. Will let you know of any progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

There a gentleman called tighe in oxfield, drumcliffe who might be able to help

There's a Michael Mc Tighe (not Tighe) in Oxfield, there was a Des Tighe on The Oxfield Road but he passed away in the early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    Yes I did,I spoke with Aidan Mannion in the Record Room and he directed me to a man called Eddie Tighe who is related, he is involved with the Yacht Club in Rosses Point, I called there twice but it was closed and no local had a number for him, he doesn't live out there.

He was a teacher in Summerhill College Sligo in the 80's

dingding wrote: »
    He was a teacher in Summerhill College Sligo in the 80's
    Yes that is the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rom82

Hi all,

I hope I'm not stealing anybody's wind here but I too am looking to talk to any living relatives of Adrienne Tighe. In fact I found this boards post by googling her name.

I am happy to follow the suggestions in the above posts but if anyone has since found a contact and would be willing to put me on to them I would greatly appreciate it. I am of course happy to explain my interest/intentions if anyone can get me a contact.

Regards,
    Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

hi Robert

I see a lot of the replies are 2015. I'd try Ocean FM radio (see oceanfm.ie) and get your enquiry started that way,,, might be more productive. This Boards site has gone quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rom82

Thanks Sligo Camper! I might try that, best regards, rob

Advertisement