Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: would you choose solitary confinement or general population in prison if you could?
Solitary confinement 140 66.35%
General population (stay with other inmates) 71 33.65%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

09-02-2019, 18:31   #31
CrankyHaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
That's all pretty bang on. You can put informants or ''rats'' just above sex or beside sex offenders too.
How many inside are addicts? 75%, more, less?
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 18:37   #32
eagle eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyHaus
I'd guess between drink and drugs it'd at least 90%.
09-02-2019, 18:43   #33
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyHaus View Post
Don't know the numbers but I do know that Mountjoy itself is the biggest methadone dispensary in the country. If I was to guess percentages, using a random normal landing as an example, I'd say 35-40% are on heroin treatment programmes but you could easily double that for unofficial users.
(2) thanks from:
09-02-2019, 18:45   #34
OldMrBrennan83

I prefer solitary confinement to general population in normal life so I couldn't see it being any different in prison.
09-02-2019, 19:05   #35
Spanish Eyes

TBH I would be more concerned about places like Arbour Hill, where most of the paedophiles and abusers and rapists are held. Some are in Midlands too.

They are considered model prisoners, they just do what they are told and get on with it, because they are not "criminals or addicts or violent" in their eyes. That has to stop.

But anyway, given the catchment area for the Joy or Wheatfield, it can be expected that there will be some idiots spoiling for a fight at some point.

I do think the prison service employees deserve great credit. Some of their members were darn nearly killed in a takeover/kidnap situation the the Joy some time ago.

I still do not understand how Arbour Hill is such a great place for sex offenders. I say this as I know someone who works there. Best transfer option ever they say.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 19:20   #36
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes
They are considered model prisoners, they just do what they are told and get on with it, because they are not "criminals or addicts or violent" in their eyes. That has to stop.

I've never understood this. These prisoners (sex crimes & wife murders) have it easier than regular prisoners. Someone in for small crimes have a harder time in prison than wife killers & sex offenders.

Someone in for two years for death by dangerous driving has a tougher sentence than a murderer or paedophile. Remember only last year or so a man was sent to jail for falling asleep at the wheel & killing someone when the car crashed. He could apply on a daily basis to be transferred to Arbour Hill but would never get it.
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 19:30   #37
Foweva Awone

I've never been in prison but I've been in addiction treatment centres ... as a result, I got to know plenty of people who ended up coming straight into treatment from prison, on TR. Almost all of them found treatment waaaay tougher than prison; in fact some returned to prison for more space and time and privacy, and an easier life.

I know a few mothers who came into treatment with their babies, the babies having spent their first few months in the Dochas. It actually sounds like quite a nice environment, almost certainly safer and better for the young baby than life on the outside with their mother in addiction.

Many lads I know in recovery don't hate prison, it's just been part of their life for a long time, to spend periods of time in and out of prison. Any education they got was almost always through prison. Drugs are always available, but recovery supports are available there too. It's structure and a bed and regular meals, more than most of them are used to on the outside, in fact many people I know will say that prison saved their lives and was the start of their recovery process.

I'd be confident I'd cope alright in prison myself, I don't relish the thought but I'd have no real fear around it. I've been through worse in my life. Hopefully I'll never end up there though.
09-02-2019, 19:32   #38
Robert Wolfe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post
I've never understood this. These prisoners (sex crimes & wife murders) have it easier than regular prisoners. Someone in for small crimes have a harder time in prison than wife killers & sex offenders.
Child molesters should housed with the regular prisoners and left to fend for themselves.
(3) thanks from:
09-02-2019, 19:34   #39
corner of hells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post

Someone in for two years for death by dangerous driving has a tougher sentence than a murderer or paedophile. Remember only last year or so a man was sent to jail for falling asleep at the wheel & killing someone when the car crashed. He could apply on a daily basis to be transferred to Arbour Hill but would never get it.
Why on Earth would you want to be transferred from a mainstream prison to Arbour Hill ?

Would you want to be associating with sex offenders ?
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 19:37   #40
Robert Wolfe
Banned

Quote:
The Joy isn't as bad as it was was 8 or 9 years ago. They all have their own cells now and they all have functioning toilets and running water etc. Before that, it was 2 and 3 people to a confined cell with no toilet facilities, it was a horrendous spot. Single cells with a basic tv, small kettle and a bit of head space is better than what came before it, for everyone.
That sounds insane that you let them have kettles.
09-02-2019, 19:40   #41
Boggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by corner of hells View Post
Why on Earth would you want to be transferred from a mainstream prison to Arbour Hill ?

Arbour Hill AFAIK is exclusively for serious sex offenders.

Only one way you are getting in there.

09-02-2019, 19:41   #42
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by corner of hells

In the main prison you are with armed robbers who'd think nothing of using a child as a human shield. Plenty of tiger kidnappers have put a gun to a small child's head.

Wheatfield and clover Hill have sex offenders too. Captain Eamon Cooke was Wheatfield as were several priests. They would be on the segregation section but if you work in the kitchen, laundry etc you will be beside rapists.

Personally I wouldn't want to spend time with any of them. I don't draw a distinction between the residents of Arbour Hill and half of the residents of any other prison
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 19:46   #43
touts

Quote:
The Joy isn't as bad as it was was 8 or 9 years ago. They all have their own cells now and they all have functioning toilets and running water etc. Before that, it was 2 and 3 people to a confined cell with no toilet facilities, it was a horrendous spot. Single cells with a basic tv, small kettle and a bit of head space is better than what came before it, for everyone.
Sounds better than most retirement homes I'll be able to afford. Plus free health care and food. Looks like we're heading the same way as Japan.

https://www.businessinsider.com/japa...18-3?r=US&IR=T
09-02-2019, 19:50   #44
Spanish Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by corner of hells View Post

Opposite could be the case. But in reality those in Arbour Hill or Midlands for the same crime will never be mixed with ordinary criminals. For their own safety or something.

Kind of laughable really when you think about it.

It is segregating sex offenders as not being criminals at all.
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 19:51   #45
mariaalice

I thought all prison were long periods of boredom punctuated by short periods of violence or is that all boys secondary schools.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion