Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: would you choose solitary confinement or general population in prison if you could?
Solitary confinement 141 66.20%
General population (stay with other inmates) 72 33.80%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

11-02-2019, 11:48   #166
dar100

Send a message via AIM to dar100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman496 View Post
I was reading a case last year where a local guy was convicted of oral rape and got 6 years. I was surprised when he was sent to, and still is in the Midlands prison. It must house sex offenders now too?
All prisons house sex offenders, especially those prisons outside of Dublin that act as committal prisons. They are however, placed on protection. Cork and limerick as committal prisons house them and midlands has a whole wing for them. Csstelray is full of them as well

Wheatfield is mainly protection these days, not sure if that includes sex offender landing.

Im away awhile so some of the above could have changed
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 13:34   #167
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar100 View Post
Haha was good craic. Our yards were also separated by a steel grill we could talk through, use to get visits across to each other as well and we couldn't wear our own clothes so the girls use to throw us over tshirts etc.

Edit: just had a flash back, we all had these square mirrors we use to stick out the window to get a look at each other
I went to a boarding school. It was actually the cheapest boarding school in the country and I didn't even board. I went home at 10pm every night. So I slept in my own bed but that was it. My parents scraped together the few hundred it used to cost to send me there every year. I always felt that the experience of prison is somewhat similar.

Not the violence etc. I realise the actual day to day is very, very different. However when I meet an old boarding school lad, especially one who went to the same school, we always talk about the crazy crap that went on. The way people dealt with being stuck in there, the teachers who were rough, the sound ones too. The daily routines and the stupid little things that you did to break the monotony.

I'd imagine that, in that way, it's similar where ever you have a large group of people stuck together, in the army, in a school, in a prison etc.

The thing that brought that to mind was the girls. The guys used to hang around at a part of the school where you could see girls walking home from the local convent school. We weren't allowed out and they weren't allowed in so they'd shout hello at the girls and stretch to see them over the wall.
(3) thanks from:
11-02-2019, 13:37   #168
Candie

I think that actually was a prison.

I went to boarding school (as a boarder) in England, thankfully it wasn't as grim as that sounds.
Thanks from:
11-02-2019, 13:48   #169
Boom_Bap
Landfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post

I went to boarding school (as a boarder) in England, thankfully it wasn't as grim as that sounds.

On an average week, would your boarding school or Mount Joy have more pillow fights?
11-02-2019, 13:52   #170
dar100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Bap View Post
On an average week, would your boarding school or Mount Joy have more pillow fights?
I laughed out loud at this
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 13:55   #171
Grayson

Quote:

The food in prison sounds better.

I remember once getting spag bol for dinner. the pasta had been fecked into a huge pan of boiling water but never stirred. Each table got what looked like one massive packet of pasta that was stuck together in a massive cylinder. Completely uneatable.
There would also be a loaf of bread on each table. the woman who would put it there would tear open the sliced pan and split it with her hands. In the process her thumbs would push through so what you ended up with was two halves of a sliced pan with massive thumb holes going through them. There was always an argument about who got stuck with the slices that had a hole and who got the slice near the bottom that was ok.

The school was grim and that's what made me think of what it was like in prison, Think I'd still prefer that place over prison though
(2) thanks from:
11-02-2019, 14:00   #172
Candie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Bap View Post
I'd say Mountjoy.

For an all girls school the pillow fights were surprisingly thin on the ground.
Thanks from:
11-02-2019, 14:04   #173
Candie

Quote:

Anyway, that all in the past, I've a degree, a masters and on my way to a Ph.D now. I rarely speak about my past this is bringing back lots of memories for me
It's been a hard road for you but that's just fantastic. I hope that doesn't sound patronizing or anything, I just wanted to say congratulations.
11-02-2019, 14:40   #174
dar100

Quote:
It's been a hard road for you but that's just fantastic. I hope that doesn't sound patronizing or anything, I just wanted to say congratulations.
Doesn't sound patronizing at all. Thank you for your kind words.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 14:44   #175
Gadgetman496

Quote:
Doesn't sound patronizing at all. Thank you for your kind words.
I too wish you well for the future
Thanks from:
11-02-2019, 14:45   #176
dar100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
The food in prison sounds better.

I remember once getting spag bol for dinner. the pasta had been fecked into a huge pan of boiling water but never stirred. Each table got what looked like one massive packet of pasta that was stuck together in a massive cylinder. Completely uneatable.
There would also be a loaf of bread on each table. the woman who would put it there would tear open the sliced pan and split it with her hands. In the process her thumbs would push through so what you ended up with was two halves of a sliced pan with massive thumb holes going through them. There was always an argument about who got stuck with the slices that had a hole and who got the slice near the bottom that was ok.

The school was grim and that's what made me think of what it was like in prison, Think I'd still prefer that place over prison though
This sounds like a great memory to look back on. I've always wanted to experience something such as this, or the stereotypical prom and university that the Americans have. I've spent many an hour fantasizing what it would be like. I was expelled from primary school at 10, I've missed out on all that, probably sounds silly to some, especially those that didn't enjoy school, but for me it represents a level of normality i suppose....
11-02-2019, 14:45   #177
WinnyThePoo

Would the libraries have a good selection?. Can you order books if there not available?
11-02-2019, 14:47   #178
Gadgetman496

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnyThePoo View Post
Would the libraries have a good selection?. Can you order books if there not available?
Sounds like you're thinking of heading in there
11-02-2019, 14:48   #179
WinnyThePoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman496 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnyThePoo View Post
Sounds like you're thinking of heading in there
Sure who knows what my future holds
Thanks from:
11-02-2019, 15:21   #180
Grayson

Quote:
This sounds like a great memory to look back on. I've always wanted to experience something such as this, or the stereotypical prom and university that the Americans have. I've spent many an hour fantasizing what it would be like. I was expelled from primary school at 10, I've missed out on all that, probably sounds silly to some, especially those that didn't enjoy school, but for me it represents a level of normality i suppose....
Every one of us hated it in the school. Because it was a boarding school half the lads brought cousins to their debs.

We do however all bond over it. It's a kind of "might of been ****, but we went through it together" kind of mentality.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion