Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neignbour problem and scrap vehicle in garden??

Options
  • 13-07-2019 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

Is there any way (short of petrol) of getting/convincing/forcing a neighbour of disposing of a pile of scrap vehicle on their front garden?? any suggestions.
    They have no use for it, their neighbourly attitude is in short supply due to some other things Ive experienced with them, Id like to move from the area anyway, but will have to see if its even possible, if it is, I'd be all over it.

The things is, I consider Id stand to lose a lot of money and potential buyers if I put my house for sale and they saw the vehicle abandoned in their driveway, so that would mean it just couldn't be done, I simply could not afford to throw away money and that includes starting a sale if it puts buyers off as generally a no sale still incurs an agent fee even ignoring upfront costs. I get the impression the neighbours keep their home clean, so Im a bit confused as to why they'd leave a pile of scrap in their front garden. Even if moving turns out to not be an option, this vehicle is just an eyesore, been sat there for 2 years??
    From recent enquiries it seems the council aren't in the least bit bothered about anything so that doesnt seem to be an option, Im not sure what my options would be that could encourage them to shift it???
    If the council arent a runner, I guess Im being a bit naive thinking the EPA??
    Any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It's on there property not a thing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If it's a problem for you and not them then maybe offer to get it removed and scrapped yourself..

PITA but if they are not willing to do anything themselves you might have no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

That seems a pretty $hitty outcome, ie just look at indefintely as they wont deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Have you asked them what they intend to do with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

N/A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get onto the council/epa, tell them theres oils being leaked or spilled around the place, batteries left in old cars can go on fire, I've seen it happen twice recently, has he a waste collection permit/number ? It also depends where you're from, i know limerick and clare coco take a very proactive approach on things like this, not sure of anywhere else tho

Does he collect for money or is it just cars he or his family have parked up over time, if it is there might not be a lot you can do

This is one car by the sounds of it.

Yes, they said they use it to store things and it wasnt a problem for them, recently someone else told me it is an eyesore, so I may have some allies.
    Its basically a pile of scrap, it has no value, parts missing which makes it not even look like its just parked, it looks rough, not a vehicle which will be worth anything to do up, which Id understand. Its just a complete lack of consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They might be keeping it as a project for doing up.
    They might want it as a donor vehicle for spares.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with what they are doing.if it is on their own private property and not on a public road.
    Nothing you can do about it op.

Get onto the council/epa, tell them theres oils being leaked or spilled around the place, batteries left in old cars can go on fire, I've seen it happen twice recently, has he a waste collection permit/number ? It also depends where you're from, i know limerick and clare coco take a very proactive approach on things like this, not sure of anywhere else tho

Does he collect for money or is it just cars he or his family have parked up over time, if it is there might not be a lot you can do
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    This is one car by the sounds of it.

Its actually one vehicle in his driveway Im referring to, but they have a number of vehicles (which at least move) and they take up a lot of the available road with them, they seem to allow relatives or friends to park their cars up on the road and they get left parked near their house, in the end they seem to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

hawkelady wrote: »
    Have you asked them what they intend to do with it ?

They might tell you to mind your own business

• Advertisement

They might be keeping it as a project for doing up.
    They might want it as a donor vehicle for spares.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with what they are doing.if it is on their own private property and not on a public road.
    Nothing you can do about it op.

Im fairly interested in cars myself, Id understand that if it was a worthwhile prospect. I keep a second older car myself that is in clean condition, this is a vehicle, but not a car, it is not something that will ever be worth anything and nothing is being done with it.
    Its rotting in their garden.

Thanks for that information, I might ring/email them and ask them how they approach it from a legal/environmental standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Why don’t you be honest with them? Tell them you are selling the house and that you are worried that potential buyers won’t buy with the vehicle in the garden. Tell them you are willing to help to sort out the problem!

Then Offer to pay to have it removed (you likely won’t have to pay anything just get them to sign forms and the council will come and take it)
    If they’re worried about storage buy them a garden storage locker for whatever they’re storing in the vehicle. Link

They might agree if they have an alternative sensible option. The cost of the locker you stand to lose will be nothing against what you stand to gain selling the house.

Why don’t you be honest with them? Tell them you are selling the house and that you are worried that potential buyers won’t buy with the vehicle in the garden. Tell them you are willing to help to sort out the problem!

Then Offer to pay to have it removed (you likely won’t have to pay anything just get them to sign forms and the council will come and take it)
    If they’re worried about storage buy them a garden storage locker for whatever they’re storing in the vehicle. Link

They might agree if they have an alternative sensible option. The cost of the locker you stand to lose will be nothing against what you stand to gain selling the house.

Thanks for the constructive ideas, the selling up idea has just come up recently, mainly due to dealings with said neighbour, they are just particularily selfish and unconcerned in my opinion, Im happy enough and even prefer if people keep to themselves to some extent but these people are downright uneighbourly. I brought up the idea with them before, just did not register, said it doesnt bother them, I think they are actually happy that something is a problem, like when I asked them not to block our driveway, they acted like it was not a problem, but kept doing it until I basically ended up in an argument, I dont know if they are selfish or blissfully ignorant. Maybe if they were to get some new neighbours that might encourage them, I just couldnt afford to lose financially as its too significant a thing to occur and might even make selling up not viable/possible. I need a bit of time to redecorate and fix things up anyway, so its an idea. I may be able to enlist the help of some other neighbours, another person told me they arent happy about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

You could always offer then a few quid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A car like that wouldn't put me off bidding or buying a house. It might lead me to make inquiries about the neighbor though. If it's just a car I'd be fine with it. If I found out he's a problem neighbor then thats a different matter.

Could you approach him offering 500 euro for him to store it elsewhere for six months while you sell your home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Buy them a cheap car cover and ask them to put it on the car.

It’ll make it look like a project or summer car, or at least that it’s being taken care of rather than junk.

Problem sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    A car like that wouldn't put me off bidding or buying a house. It might lead me to make inquiries about the neighbor though. If it's just a car I'd be fine with it. If I found out he's a problem neighbor then thats a different matter.

Could you approach him offering 500 euro for him to store it elsewhere for six months while you sell your home?

Yep, probably judgemental, but I would be a bit anxious to know about the owners.

Is it rented or council owned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

If its only one car I don't see the issue, i thought they had a few piled up going by the op, not a lot you can do about one car

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

In the current housing market, no buyer will be put off by an old car in someone elses driveway.

Put up some trellis/bamboo to screen it and put the house up for sale.

• Advertisement

You could always offer then a few quid for it.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »

I dont intend to offer them money to reward them for keeping scrap, maybe they are thinking along those lines, Ive actually wondered, Id either offer my time/services/skills/labour to assist moving.

amcalester wrote: »
    Buy them a cheap car cover and ask them to put it on the car.
    It’ll make it look like a project or summer car, or at least that it’s being taken care of rather than junk.
    Problem sorted.

Problem not sorted, its not a car, its a van and it looks rough

If its only one car I don't see the issue, i thought they had a few piled up going by the op, not a lot you can do about one car

Its one van, its blatantly scrap, but it doesnt help that they have numerous cars.

In the current housing market, no buyer will be put off by an old car in someone elses driveway.

Regarding the housing market, maybe, but I wouldnt think so, but given houses are the most expensive purchase/sale I dont see the sense in risking it, even a small percentage difference could be a large amount.

And
    You cannot have walls at the front of your house over a certain size, it would not hide this, probably make it more obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

So you don't want your neighbour to keep their own stuff on their own property because a fictional buyer might make a lower fictional offer for a house that isn't for sale.

I can see why they aren't entertaining the suggestion.

So you don't want your neighbour to keep their own stuff on their own property because a fictional buyer might make a lower fictional offer for a house that isn't for sale.

I can see why they aren't entertaining the suggestion.

Even if I didnt or couldnt sell/buy elsewhere, its an eyesore, it was mentioned to me by another neighbour too.
    As for their personal property, its not like its some family antique heirloom, ist a worthless piece of scrap, its not something they drive infrequently and even keep it running, therefore it doesnt serve its purpose, seems fairly obvious to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It would put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

ZX7R wrote: »
    It's on there property not a thing you can do.

Completely untrue.

OP. First stop is Environmental Officer in your local council

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Completely untrue.

OP. First stop is Environmental Officer in your local council

What would be the basis of a complaint to the local eo? From what the op has said the only problem is that he doesn't like the look of it. No mention of leaking fluids or anything else. It's not stored or used commercially. Its not refuse that could be attracting rodents etc. Basically this guy has his van parked in his own driveway for his own private purposes what could the eo enforce?

Happy4all wrote: »
    Yep, probably judgemental, but I would be a bit anxious to know about the owners.

Is it rented or council owned?

Privately owned, if it was rented Id have done something a lot sooner
    What would be the basis of a complaint to the local eo? From what the op has said the only problem is that he doesn't like the look of it. No mention of leaking fluids or anything else. It's not stored or used commercially. Its not refuse that could be attracting rodents etc. Basically this guy has his van parked in his own driveway for his own private purposes what could the eo enforce?

You seem dead set against it, this is not like its a vehicle they use on a regular basis for work or generally and I dont like the look of it, its a vehicle that has been parked up for a few years, is stationary and has some parts either remove or detached so it looks like its scrap,
    Ive considered the environmental hazard, from diesel which I think is a possibility, I know he seems to store stuff in it which Ive seen the owner do occasionally so essentially its like shed out his front garden, how anyone could not oppose this is beyond me, its not like its out of sight in some obscure part of his own property, its front and centre on the grass in a front garden in an estate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Even if you get the car removed op who is to say they won't have another heap of scrap sitting in it's place by the time you get around to selling your house

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

1874 wrote: »
    ...I need a bit of time to redecorate and fix things up anyway, so its an idea. .....

So the problem is that you don't like the look of the neighbour's storage unit?

Unless there's some other reason for you to sell, then the best approach is for you to build a bridge and get over it.

If you want to sell, then don't be bothering to redecorate: the new owner would prefer to only pay for the paint once instead of having to pay for your batch of magnolia in the purchase price, and their decent colour to suit themselves.

• Advertisement

So the problem is that you don't like the look of the neighbour's storage unit?

Unless there's some other reason for you to sell, then the best approach is for you to build a bridge and get over it.

If you want to sell, then don't be bothering to redecorate: the new owner would prefer to only pay for the paint once instead of having to pay for your batch of magnolia in the purchase price, and their decent colour to suit themselves.

Its not a storage unit, its a scrap vehicle, would you be ok with a scrap vehicle deteriorating in your immediate neighbours garden? other neighbours have commented on it too, not just for the eyesore factor. There are laws for getting rid of end of life vehicles because of environmentally hazardous by products, something that is going to be prevalent in a vehicle which is not being maintained as it wont be noticed. If they want a storage unit, I suspect they wouldnt be allowed put a shed in the front garden, so by that reasonable logic they should put it in their backgarden. This is not the only problem unfortunately, they have made changes which are outside the planning regulations without planning permission and in general are what i consider bad neighbours, when they turned up they immediately started blocking our driveway, I dont think thats a good start when you move in anywhere and it set the tone for our interactions after that, basically they do as they please without regard for neighbours, as Im right next door to them I get it the most, recently had to put up with 13 hours straight of base music, completely inconsiderate.
    Your opinions on selling arent worth much IMO and contrast with what I was recommended by an estate agent, and redecorating isnt just a matter of painting, but its certainly one of the cheapest and easiest things to do to freshen up a place, and on the agents opinion a vehicle like that could reduce interest, as I plan on going Im not taking the hit for that.
    The stupid thing is, before things went very sour, I was told they had problems with their previous neighbours who damaged their vehicles in a fairly serious way, I now know why, they have more than average number for a household and they park with complete disregard (and act in complete disregard) of people here now, and likely their former neighbours too, when this was said they were oblivious to the reason, ie selfish, inconsiderate people.

Advertisement