Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Voting?

• 22-08-2010 11:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭

Where can you get access to voting election results for family members? I.e would i be able to find out what my ancestors voted for in the 1800s and 1900 general elections would really love to find that out!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Interesting question !

I guess though that this type of information is either not kept and anyhow, isn't voting anonymous ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Ponster wrote: »
    Interesting question !

I guess though that this type of information is either not kept and anyhow, isn't voting anonymous ?

Aw thats a pity it would've been really interesting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The 'secret' ballot is relatively recent (I think late 19th century)

In the unlikely case that you have descendants who were 40 shilling freeholders prior to 1829 you should be able to find out who they voted for. Most of the time this will be irrelevant as they basically had to vote for whomever their landlord asked them to vote for. It might be interesting to see if the said descendant voted for the O'Connellite candidates in the late 1820s in support for emancipation though...

Denerick wrote: »
    The 'secret' ballot is relatively recent (I think late 19th century)

In the unlikely case that you have descendants who were 40 shilling freeholders prior to 1829 you should be able to find out who they voted for. Most of the time this will be irrelevant as they basically had to vote for whomever their landlord asked them to vote for. It might be interesting to see if the said descendant voted for the O'Connellite candidates in the late 1820s in support for emancipation though...

Aye I was looking at that i think my great great great great grandfather was in that though it just gave name etc do you know were too get voting results? Why would they vote for that they were Presbyterians or where they affected too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

owenc wrote: »
    Aye I was looking at that i think my great great great great grandfather was in that though it just gave name etc do you know were too get voting results? Why would they vote for that they were Presbyterians or where they affected too

Presbyterians wouldn't have voted for O'Connell candidates (Unless they were one of the last remnant of the 'New Light' movement)

I think it was in 1825/26 when O'Connell and the Catholic committee starting backing pro catholic candidates in races across the country. The effect was devastating, unseating such ascendancy lumenaries such as the Beresfords in Waterford. All across the country the 40 shilling freeholders voted against their landlords in favour of liberal, pro catholic Protestants. It paved the way for O'Connells victory in Clare (Catholics were not allowed to run for parliament, so when he won in 1828 it made emancipation a key issue as parliament was forced whether to grant it or just ignore O'Connell - impossible in the political context)

So it would be interesting to see if your (Catholic) descendants voted for O'Connelite candidates in the 1820s. It would be EVEN more interesting to see if your presbyterian descendants voted for O'Connelite candidates ;)

• Advertisement

They probably did as they were more bitter then but how do you access the actual results on proni

Advertisement