Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Printing your family tree - has anyone bought a printer up for the challenge?

• 31-07-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I ordered printed versions of my family tree from the UK last year and they cost a fair amount indeed, though the printer was good enough to offer half price for any additional copies.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a printer you could buy yourself that could handle paper rolls, say the same width as that of an A4 sheet, just infinitely long? I'm sure it would cost a fair bit, but I'd be curious as I plan on printing the tree a fair few more times as it continues to be updated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

My mother has a Lexmark something or other which supports it. I checked it out a while back.

What you are looking for is 'fan-fold' support. Most printers used to support it, but nowadays only a few do. There's definitely still a market for these types of printers so they are out there - they are used for all sorts of things where you need continuous (or fan-fold) stationery still.

When I tried to print out my family tree using my mothers printer it kind-of worked. I'm sure there are options I could tweak but didn't put the effort into it at the time as it wasn't important. The main problem was that the application insisted on putting form-feeds between pages (as it would normally for seperate pages) so there would be a few inches gap in the printing between pages when obviously I would like it to print continously across pages.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Thank you for the information zagmund! Perhaps there is a printer out there with software, allowing you to print using the software so that it doesn't give a gap.

I have certainly never heard the term "fan-fold" before. I have much googling ahead of me. Thanks again!!!

I would certainly appreciate any more suggestions anyone might have :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I've just noticed that you are looking for paper rolls, so technically fan-fold isn't what you are looking for, but the technology is mostly the same and the result for fan-fold and rolls would be the same - a really, really long (or wide) family tree printed on one continuous sheet. With fan-fold you would have perforations between the sheets but as long as you don't seperate them out all is good. Fanfold is easier to store since it folds instead of rolls.

I can't work out how to link any of the images from google images, but if you check this URL you can see what I'm talking about - http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=fanfold+paper&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I've asked the person with the Lexmark to tell me the model number and will pass it on.

z

Thanks. Yeah, after a bit of googling (of fan-fold and then roll printers); roll printers are mainly used for printing labels, or really expensive if used for large format rolls :) We have one of the giant poster printers (with a roll) in the department in college, but I am looking for something for home use (I can't really print such long trees on those giant rolls; a bit over the top! Plus, abuse of college stationary etc... :D).

I'll keep looking about, see if anything is a reasonable size and price, but I won't keep my hopes up! A black and white basic roll printer would be great... One day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

not quite what you are looking for, but I use a poster print utility (ProPoster) with a normal colour printer. It splits a large image up onto separate pages which can then be taped together at the back, I trim them a bit with a Guillotine first to eliminate the gap at the edges that cannot be printed by most printers.

I think it cost about $15

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Is there a print shop in Dublin that would do such a roll print? and what would approx cost be? My tree is getting ever so large and would be nice to have paper copy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

I think you are looking for a dot matrix printer. I worked with them some time ago and they were mainly used for draft copies of work.... but they just print out on a long continuous sheet of paper that has little holes along each side that you can tear off when the document is printed.

I can still hear the noise they make!

You should be able to pick them up fairly cheaply - I'd hit ebay for a start.

Depending on how big your tree is you might consider working on an A4 size page using a tiny font and then getting it blown up to A3 on a standard photocopier (and if you don't have access to one I'm sure you know someone who does.... or drop into most stationary shops). It does work - font in size 4/5 will become clear and legible.

As for going poster size I'd try this before going professional (always looking for the cheap route!): http://www.blockposters.com/

It will take your image and blow it up into a poster size version (you decide how big) and it will print it out over numerous pages. You then match up the pages a little like a jigsaw... you can trim with a scissors or guillotine... a bit of sticky tape and viola. A Blue Peter moment.

Snap.ie will print just about anything you give them - find your local store here http://www.snap.ie/Contact_Us/87 and have a word with them. They'll tell you the best format for printing.

Hope that helps a bit.... I think it's really a matter of experimenting until you find something that works!

I forgot to check on this thread sooner!
    I use a poster print utility (ProPoster) with a normal colour printer. It splits a large image up onto separate pages which can then be taped together at the back
    Luckily my family tree program does this for me already. I ended up with 20 A4 pages (in landscape) the last time I printed it that way... and it is a lot bigger now. :(
    Is there a print shop in Dublin that would do such a roll print?
    I had to send off to the UK previously to get it printed on a single sheet because no printer I contacted in Ireland could handle it. (Funnily enough even Snap declined to be able to help!) It costs depending on no. of individuals on the tree and the amount of detail you want. I did two really really long trees and was charged £31 and £26 for each tree, with copies at half price.
    I think you are looking for a dot matrix printer.
    I must look on ebay... not sure if I would buy one, but I'm curious if hey are about. The finish doesn't sound great though, as it would be nice to have nice thick paper to print it on, without sides to tear off.
    Depending on how big your tree is you might consider working on an A4 size page using a tiny font and then getting it blown up to A3 on a standard photocopier
    That would work for anyone doing an ancestral tree, but the descendant tree can be mightly long... and is what I ideally would like to print on a roll at home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've actually given up trying to print the whole thing.
    The best I can do is 6 landscape a4 pages with very small print.
    I do keep a crib sheet for just my direct ancestry for when I'm researching and don't have a laptop.
    If/when I decide there's absolutely nothing more I can do, I may look into the Ancestry printout option, though it looks expensive.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Luckily my family tree program does this for me already. I ended up with 20 A4 pages (in landscape) the last time I printed it that way... and it is a lot bigger now. :(

I don't understand. If that's how big your tree is than you'll still end up with the same amount of paper even with a different type of printer. With a dot matrix you'll still end up with 20A4 pages but they'll just all be joined together as such.

Can you not get it printer by professionals rather than buying your own printer?

• Advertisement

It's all about presentation :) Much easier and nicer to show a single long sheet when out and about with the tree. Plus, less likely to break and easier to store.

And yes, I have had it printed professionally before. I just wondered if anyone around here had purchased their own roll printer for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Many years ago I had to get some architect's plans copied, I was sent to a place in Crumlin, they had these huge copying machines. At the time I didn't think about it, but it would be good for copying family trees which are on A4s stuck together. If I get a chance I'll try and find out the name of the company if you are interested.

Thanks but it's not quite what I'm looking for. Maybe someone else might be interested though.

Advertisement