Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London companies?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 10:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭

Ok, i am currently trying to do my family tree.. so i checked the griffiths evaluation and found my g,g,g grandfather and according to the valuation, he worked for the london companies as a clothworker (there are 12 different companies, grocers, merchant labours, haberdashers etc.), but thats all it says, so i have come on here, to ask where would you get records of him working for this company and if possible other family members before him, as the companies have been here since 1600 something.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

owenc wrote: »
    so i have come on here, to ask where would you get records of him working for this company and if possible other family members before him, as the companies have been here since 1600 something.

30 seconds in Google gave me this :

http://www.clothworkers.co.uk/The-Company/Archives-and-Collections/Archives.aspx

edit : griffiths evaluation. I guess you mean "griffiths valuations". If this is the case then I believe that your ggg grandfather was a farmer and the owner of the land was the "Company of Clothmakers" so I don't think you'll find anything in their archives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Ponster wrote: »
    30 seconds in Google gave me this :

http://www.clothworkers.co.uk/The-Company/Archives-and-Collections/Archives.aspx

edit : griffiths evaluation. I guess you mean "griffiths valuations". If this is the case then I believe that your ggg grandfather was a farmer and the owner of the land was the "Company of Clothmakers" so I don't think you'll find anything in their archives.

Oh i see, hmm but how do you know he didn't work for them?

Oh i see, hmm but how do you know he didn't work for them?

Can you link to the GV page please?

Went I went looking for your family last month I remember finding a page where it mentioned 'landlord : Company of Clothmakers'

These records don't mention who worked for whom but who worked the land and who owned the land. Of course this doesn't mean 100% that the didn't work for them in another fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

not sure about this part of your original post '...found my g,g,g grandfather and according to the valuation, he worked for the london companies as a clothworker..'

I've never seen occupations included on Griffith's valuation ..it does include the name of the occupier of the property and the owner (or leasor).

Shane

Can you link to the GV page please?

Went I went looking for your family last month I remember finding a page where it mentioned 'landlord : Company of Clothmakers'

These records don't mention who worked for whom but who worked the land and who owned the land. Of course this doesn't mean 100% that the didn't work for them in another fashion.

No you are right it does say landlord "worshipful company of clothworkers" :( I was hoping to find something interesting there! Where could you go to see if he worked for them?

• Advertisement

No you are right it does say landlord "worshipful company of clothworkers" :( I was hoping to find something interesting there! Where could you go to see if he worked for them?

The link I gave in my first post but there's a 99.9% chance that he didn't actually work for them I'm afraid.

The link I gave in my first post but there's a 99.9% chance that he didn't actually work for them I'm afraid.

No i was thinking the ones before him as after all they started the plantation in this county.

No i was thinking the ones before him as after all they started the plantation in this county.

? What ones before him ?

Do you think that his ancestors worked for the Company of Clothmakers?

? What ones before him ?

Do you think that his ancestors worked for the Company of Clothmakers?

No i was thinking that was a possibility as that area and the whole county was built by those companies, and many of the planters were brought to work for them.

Advertisement