Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sham marriages drop due to enforcement

Options
  • 12-02-2019 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/crackdown-on-sham-marriages-sees-slump-in-applications-to-live-here-37806395.html
    A crackdown by immigration authorities on scams has resulted in a dramatic slump in applications for permission to live here based on marriage to an EU national.

After a huge increase in applications by 52pc between 2013 and 2015, the establishment of Operation Vantage has reversed the trend over the past two years.

Following a High Court decision, which seriously reduced the powers of the authorities to tackle scam marriages, there was a spike in applications from people outside Ireland, claiming to exercise EU treaty rights.

The majority of these applications came from four countries - Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq and Bangladesh - prompting major concerns about potential abuses of the system.

Only 2pc of the visa applications, 269 out of 11,493, were granted while the 3,823 refusals and 6,793 withdrawals reinforced the abuse concerns.

The number of new visa applications from the four countries fell from 4,696 in 2015 and 4,645 in 2016 to 530 in 2017 while only 308 were received last year by the end of September.
    Personally, I'm surprised at just how effective Operation Vantage has been.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Operation vantage definitely kicked operation transformations ass.

Getting in here early just to say: I think it would be helpful if those of us of a Liberal bent perhaps didn't try to rubbish this.

I think there is fairly robust evidence behind what the authorities are saying. The process of migrating into Europe seems unfair, but yeah, there seems to be widespread fraud.

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

Getting in here early just to say: I think it would be helpful if those of us of a Liberal bent perhaps didn't try to rubbish this.

I think there is fairly robust evidence behind what the authorities are saying. The process of migrating into Europe seems unfair, but yeah, there seems to be widespread fraud.

It's just common sense. No way a woman from Latvia is marrying an Afghani for love.

It's just common sense. No way a woman from Latvia is marrying an Afghani for love.
    Are they natural born enemies or something?

No, not that. Im talking about stuff like an inability to communicate through a common language, and other tests employed by immigration officials. We should accept that it happens, although official stats now seem to indicate it's being eradicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No, not that. Im talking about stuff like an inability to communicate through a common language, and other tests employed by immigration officials. We should accept that it happens, although official stats now seem to indicate it's being eradicated.
    As they say EU, rather than Irish in the below quote;
    Vantage specifically targeted those facilitating the suspected scam marriages between mainly EU females and non-EU males and led to arrests by gardai.
    I'm wondering was it a case of non-Irish women trying to wed non-EU men in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Just goes to show something can be done.

Advertisement