Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transcribing documents

Options
  • 23-02-2013 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Is there any good tips on transcribing old documents for 19th C.? I am usually good at it as I have picked up how to read it by working in genealogical office but some documents can be really hard to read from the 19th century when letters are squashed together. I am guessing during the times of great famine and civil war things were hecting enough letters to the other person were very rushed.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It's just a matter of getting to grips with the handwriting and making out letters in words to get a sense of what's being written. There's no easy or instant way of reading/transcribing the letters, it just takes time. Unless, of course, you want to hire somebody to do it for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dr.Nightdub

Give yourself an hour with the Ernie O'Malley notebooks in the UCD Archive. After that, everything else that's ever been written down since the dawn of mankind is a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

Thanks. I am starting to read his books actually. Its good to learn how to transcribe if you are a historian.

Advertisement