Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit: Alternatives to Amazon.co.uk

Options
  • 28-08-2019 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

I have seen on the news that prices of goods ordered from UK are going to spike in case of no deal Brexit.

I am wondering what are the alternatives available?

Does Amazon.de seem to have similar products available? And what about using English language on .de website?

Any one could share their experience /opinion on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I have seen on the news that prices of goods ordered from UK are going to spike in case of no deal Brexit.

I am wondering what are the alternatives available?

Does Amazon.de seem to have similar products available? And what about using English language on .de website?

Any one could share their experience /opinion on this?

I got an LG soundbar from Amazon.de recently. I saved €630 over the retail price here !! It took a while to get here compared to the UK one but well worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

That's great news, does it take weeks to get items delivered?
    And how did you navigate through the website, it's in German?
    D3V!L wrote: »
    I got an LG soundbar from Amazon.de recently. I saved €630 over the retail price here !! It took a while to get here compared to the UK one but well worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Stop buying stuff you don't need!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I've bought stuff from amazon.com, amazon.de and amazon.es. No issues getting anything delivered to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ask someone who speaks German or use google translate

• Advertisement

There's an icon on the page to select English under the site search bar. Apart from that shipping isn't much different. Of course it will be a day or two longer depending on what you order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Try having a look in the shops in your town, instead of sending all your money to Amazon / the Fatherland.

KungPao wrote: »
    Try having a look in the shops in your town, instead of sending all your money to Amazon / the Fatherland.
    And when the shops in your town are selling for double the price on amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I've bought stuff from amazon.com, amazon.de and amazon.es. No issues getting anything delivered to ireland.

Does the (electronic) stuff come with EU plugs?

I buy musical equipment from thomann.de in Germany. They used to throw a free 2 pin to 3 pin adaptor into the box for shipments to Ireland/UK, but recently they seem to be sending the actual 3 pin plug versions over this direction. Just wondering did the EU amazons do anything similar?

phutyle wrote: »

I buy musical equipment from thomann.de in Germany. They used to throw a free 2 pin to 3 pin adaptor into the box for shipments to Ireland/UK, but recently they seem to be sending the actual 3 pin plug versions over this direction. Just wondering did the EU amazons do anything similar?

My sound bar came with a two pin plug but with the maaaahoosive saving I could stretch to a new plug.

• Advertisement

phutyle wrote: »

It's not that difficult to rewire a plug from schuko to UK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

ELM327 wrote: »

True , but it wont be unearthed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I tried to buy locally - I wanted a decent cooking thermometer so I went up to our local cooking supplies/homeware shop, they had 4-5 thermometers in stock - great!
    I checked the online reviews for them and not one got more than 3 out of 5 stars, plus the shop was selling them with close to a 100% markup compared to online. So my choice was buy a very expensive, inferior product locally, or get a really good one online for half the price.

I did and unfortunately it's no good from what they offer and the costs are almost double!

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Don't forget that most of the other Amazons won't have a free delivery to Ireland option

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

D3V!L wrote: »
    My sound bar came with a two pin plug but with the maaaahoosive saving I could stretch to a new plug.

Dunno. Having to leave the gaff and walk into a shop to buy a plug would be a bit of a deal breaker for me. Do amazon sell plugs?

Even with Amazon Prime membership?
    Spocker wrote: »
    Don't forget that most of the other Amazons won't have a free delivery to Ireland option

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Amazon will add any tariffs presumably.

Take your chances with the original sellers.

I think amazon prime gives you free delivery

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »

True, and I've done that for some stuff, but if I can get a free adapter, or better yet, the UK plug in the first place, I can save myself the hassle.

Not everyone can, though, and some people could be a little disappointed if their new smart kettle or fog machine arrived and they couldn't plug it straight in. It's just something to be aware of when buying from mainland Europe.
    cjmc wrote: »
    True , but it wont be unearthed ?

Most of the stuff I'd be buying is Class II (Double Insulated) equipment. They have a square within a square logo, and the earth pin on the plug is plastic. They don't require earthing, and in fact should not be earthed. So that wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm going to be amazed if amazon don't have delivery from EU via amazon.ie ready to rock in case of a no deal. Also very disappointed.

With a bit of luck we'll get duty free back to drown our sorrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you find an item you like on Amazon.co.uk you can see what the price is on any other Amazon just by changing the co.uk to the relevant country

Random example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONOS-PLAYBAR-Wireless-Cinema-Soundbar-Black/dp/B00BD1I8P4/

https://www.amazon.de/SONOS-PLAYBAR-Wireless-Cinema-Soundbar-Black/dp/B00BD1I8P4/

Obviously if the other country don't sell the particular item you get an error msg.

The first link oepend automatically with amazon app on my phone.

I suppose you need to be using browser to be able to change countries. Until today I have used only Amazon app on my phone to purchase the items.

Good idea though, just need to spend little extra time.
    my3cents wrote: »
    If you find an item you like on Amazon.co.uk you can see what the price is on any other Amazon just by changing the co.uk to the relevant country

Random example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONOS-PLAYBAR-Wireless-Cinema-Soundbar-Black/dp/B00BD1I8P4/

https://www.amazon.de/SONOS-PLAYBAR-Wireless-Cinema-Soundbar-Black/dp/B00BD1I8P4/

Obviously if the other country don't sell the particular item you get an error msg.

stimpson wrote: »
    I'm going to be amazed if amazon don't have delivery from EU via amazon.ie ready to rock in case of a no deal. Also very disappointed.

No, I think the English language version of the German site is their official solution. Amazon have told independent retailers on the UK store to send stock to their mainland European fulfilment centres if they want to be able to sell to Ireland after a no-deal brexit.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/amazon-uk-users-may-have-difficulties-after-a-no-deal-brexit-1.3762917

The article also says "the US giant has developed an English language version of its German-based www.amazon.de website with some of the prices on that site proving to be cheaper than on the UK site."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Even with Amazon Prime membership?

I have Prime but it doesn't show me as having it on the German site, seems I'd have to cancel my UK Prime and get German prime instead, but the accounts seem to be linked so I've no idea how it works.

hopefully they'll find a way for us to still buy from the UK site post-brexit, seeing as the pound will probably be worth the same as the Yen by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I had a look at Prime on the German site and Ireland isn’t listed as an available country. Am I missing something?

Otherwise postage seems quite expensive for items like CDs, books etc. and there doesn’t seem to be free shipping for spending over a certain amount.

Cina wrote: »
    hopefully they'll find a way for us to still buy from the UK site post-brexit, seeing as the pound will probably be worth the same as the Yen by then.

We'll still be able to physically buy from the UK site post Brexit, but if there's no deal, we'll be paying import duties, so unless the exchange rate is very favourable, things will be much more expensive. It'll be the exact same as buying from the US at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

I had a look at Prime on the German site and Ireland isn’t listed as an available country. Am I missing something?

Otherwise postage seems quite expensive for items like CDs, books etc. and there doesn’t seem to be free shipping for spending over a certain amount.

Hopefully, they'll introduce it when .co.uk no longer ship to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How about digital products, such as Kindle books? They should come under the €22 threshold but any confirmation? Can't really use the de site for ebooks.

Advertisement