Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it hard to get even a minimum wage job?

Options
  • 26-08-2019 11:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

In my early 20s and I've applied to about 40+ places but no response. Don't have any previous experience so that's probably working against me but even then, it seems way to difficult.

Is this a common theme now in Ireland? Are we going back to the recession?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It’s just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

They keep telling us there are jobs everywhere, just look around the back of your couch, there will surely be an old one lying around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Where do you live OP? If it's Dublin I would say you need to take a good look at your CV if it's Leitrim I would say take a good look at moving out of the place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It’s just you.

Agreed.
    If the OP's interview style is anything like their posting style, they may well be a burden on the state for quite a while yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

banie01 wrote: »
    Agreed.
    If the OP's interview style is anything like their posting style, they may well be a burden on the state for quite a while yet ;)

Ad hominem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

In my early 20s and I've applied to about 40+ places but no response. Don't have any previous experience so that's probably working against me but even then, it seems way to difficult.

It really isn't hard to find a job especially a minimum wage one. Expecting to get a response as some form of encouragement is your own issue which you need to get over. You keep applying, I applied for 40 jobs in a week when looking. I called into businesses about my applications and kept looking.

It is difficult to change your mindset from where you seem to be. It is what it is and if you think it is "way too difficult" why do you think it would be easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Tails142

Someone running a business would be wary of a person in their early twenties with no previous work experience. You might have to do some volunteer work to get going otherwise people will have you marked as a liability. Or do a bit of networking through family and friends to see if you can find work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Go to a recruitment agent, apply for short term / temporary work. go back to education and upskill. You have plenty of options even though your post was very vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Companies are projecting a recession. So employers are getting very wary of who they are taking on.
    The company I work for is looking for 3% growth this year, which is very, very modest. Working Hours are down on last year too. I have noticed this for other retail companies of a similar genre too that I share space with.

Recessions only get reported on after the growth period. So we're probably in the recession now and it will be made official at the start of next year.

House prices are coming down too. All the signs are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ad hominem.

Hardly.
    The OP is relating their experience of struggling to find a job.
    How one appears and is perceived at interview is integral to securing employment.

If the OP is presenting themselves or being perceived IRL in the same manner as their boards persona.
    They are unlikely to be a 1st choice at an interview process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

1. If you are getting no response then perhaps your CV, letter etc are an issue. Take a look online at the many sites that advise how to structure these.
    2. If you have no experience at all then there are many ways to fix that. Approach a charity and ask to do some volunteer work for them. Sure you won't get paid for it but at least it is some experience.
    3. Consider really bad jobs. For example meat processing companies often struggle to recruit people because the work is unpleasant and the pay is basically minimum wage. Many of these will take pretty much anyone. All you have to do is stick it out for 6 months and then start to look elsewhere.
    4. Consider doing something yourself. Working online or doing deliveries etc. Something that allows you put into down on the CV.

And on your last question. Are we back to recession? No. But in a year we will be after Brexit. You need to act NOW to get the experience you need. For example many of those meat processing companies I talked about will be in big trouble after Brexit. They may not exist in early 2020. So you need to get in there now and get something on that CV because in 6 months you could be competing against 100k+ new unemployed people who do have some experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

It is hard to get a job tbh and I think I hate the term 'plenty of jobs'. You know, if you have to volunteer for experience, take temp work or go back to education for minimum wage then there is not plenty of jobs :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Where do you live OP? If it's Dublin I would say you need to take a good look at your CV if it's Leitrim I would say take a good look at moving out of the place!!

I live near Drogheda/Meath

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

banie01 wrote: »
    Hardly.
    The OP is relating their experience of struggling to find a job.
    How one appears and is perceived at interview is integral to securing employment.

If the OP is presenting themselves or being perceived IRL in the same manner as their boards persona.
    They are unlikely to be a 1st choice at an interview process.

How exactly?

Nevermind my persona though, I'm still applying for jobs daily. Sending around 5 CV's to employers every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It is hard to get a job tbh and I think I hate the term 'plenty of jobs'. You know, if you have to volunteer for experience, take temp work or go back to education for minimum wage then there is not plenty of jobs :P

He's applied for over forty jobs. Obviously no shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

How exactly?

Nevermind my persona though, I'm still applying for jobs daily. Sending around 5 CV's to employers every day.

So are you applying for jobs or sending CVS on spec in the hope that there's something going? If you're applying for actual jobs and getting no replies at all then it's an issue with your CV or cover letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Companies are projecting a recession. So employers are getting very wary of who they are taking on.
    The company I work for is looking for 3% growth this year, which is very, very modest. Working Hours are down on last year too. I have noticed this for other retail companies of a similar genre too that I share space with.

Recessions only get reported on after the growth period. So we're probably in the recession now and it will be made official at the start of next year.

House prices are coming down too. All the signs are there.

There needs to be 2 quarters of negative GDP for a recession. Economy grew by 2.4% GNP in Q1, and estimates are 2% for Q2. We’re not in a recession, but I understand the UK are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

In fairness, some companies take the absolute cake with their attitudes towards applicants. I live further away from Dublin and job options are somewhat limited, and every job that's not niche has hundreds of applications. And instead of just sending out an generic thanks but no thanks - email you hear nothing and see the job re-listed every 4 days for the next 6 weeks.

Anyway, OP consider some generic field sales role. They suck but you can make money with it if you really want to and they don't need experience. There are a few companies around in the greater Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You have to contact companies that have no vacancy listed, land into places that might be interesting to work and ask if there might be something going, head down to the pub and ask there. Show some interest in wht you will be doing

It is too easy to send cv's on indeed and Irishjobs so a lot of the time you get no response. Loads of ppl wake up in the morning and fall out of bed around 11 or 12 then click 'apply' a few times thinking they have their good deed done for the day but employers want to avoid those people.

Put up a few ads in the local shop offering to do something you are good at if all else fails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Drogheda has a fair few employers in and around it that should suit. Failing that temp work for construction companies is always going, often through recruitment agencies, and most outfits will take you permanent if they like how you work on site.

In my experience a lot of stuff advertised online is dubious nonsense from recruitment sharks. Get past them and in touch with one of the many, many people with work coming out of their ears who need bodies yesterday and you won't be long getting hired. Whether it's work you like will be another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Why are you applying for minimum wage jobs. They pay crap. I wouldn’t apply for anything less than 40 k starting with a renegotiation after one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

OP, as others have said, the lack of work experience on your CV is probably holding you back....and I know its only minimum wage jobs, but also for the jobs you are applying for, do have all of the required stuff they are looking for Eg. Full driving License, language skills, Educational/certification qualifications, etc. don't waste their time and yours, by even applying, if you don't.

Even for jobs with no real entry requirements, an employer will be loath to take on somebody for their 'first' job, especialy when they might have a choice to take on more experienced people at the same wage cost as you.

You will likely need to take some pretty crap job(s) just to get a bit of work experience, under your belt...then the worlds your oyster. Also use your Family and friends as a kind of a 'jobs network' ... it might surprise you, what/who they know. An employer is always more likely to take on somebody who they have a connection with, even if its only friend of a friend of a friend kinda thing ...it marks you out from the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

You have to contact companies that have no vacancy listed, land into places that might be interesting to work and ask if there might be something going, head down to the pub and ask there. Show some interest in wht you will be doing

It is too easy to send cv's on indeed and Irishjobs so a lot of the time you get no response. Loads of ppl wake up in the morning and fall out of bed around 11 or 12 then click 'apply' a few times thinking they have their good deed done for the day but employers want to avoid those people.

Put up a few ads in the local shop offering to do something you are good at if all else fails

Yeah unless it's the hospitality industry most companies tell you to look on their homepage.
    When I was looking a while ago I got my physical CV (that I got checked professionally) to 25 offices in a 50km radius and believe me that was tough work. I heard back from a single one saying that they don't have vacancies.
    There is a reason companies with non-physical work have a HR department that's partly automated.

Plus don't underestimate the laziness of companies. I've been chatting to people that don't think it's cool to just show up and wanting to speak to a manager. Their application process suits them just right, so they don't have 10 people a day showing up in the foyer wanting to talk to a manager practically begging for a job.

That dropping in and asking for vacancies only really works in small companies and certain fields. Every Aldi tells you to apply online because they literally can't hire you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How exactly?

What kinds of jobs are you looking at? Do any of them match what you've done or studied? Have you contacted any agencies on this? There's at least one in Drogheda. There's the CV in the hand and knocking on doors approach. I'd also ask someone to look at your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

it seems way to difficult.

You're right, they should have employed you at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Because you're Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Many minimal or non skilled jobs paying peanuts still look for at least 1 years experience in similar roles.
    *rolls eyes*

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Experience is a Catch 22. Employers only want to hire people with experience, but you can't get a job without any experience. Only thing you can really do is offer to work for free for a while to get experience. Talk to family and friends and find someone with a business who's willing to show you the ropes on something, in exchange for free labour. Us this to then get a new job. Or they may hire you in the existing job if you are good. It's not ideal we all know but if you want to get ahead these are the things you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    You're right, they should have employed you at this stage.
    40 applications and no job raises a whole lot of questions about the person, the CV and who those applications are being sent to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

is_that_so wrote: »
    40 applications and no job raises a whole lot of questions about the person, the CV and who those applications are being sent to.

Is that so?

Advertisement