Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date a woman who earns considerably more than you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Some women might want that. Obviously you adapt slightly or try to for the situation and personalities. Nothing extreme either way.

So you change who you are depending on who you're with?

Man, being a princess must be complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

So you change who you are depending on who you're with?

Just for life nothing to do with romance ..yes. Yet somehow i am always me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not in my experience anyway. Now you can't paint a bunch of countries and cultures with a broad brush, but if you were to, they tend to be more traditional as far as gender roles and perceptions go and men putting women on a pedestal like that wouldn't get very far at all. Unless she was one of those women looking for a rube or a sugar daddy.

I'm going to disagree here a little bit. A lot of Slavic countries definetly have a thing of the woman as mother, and there is quite a lot of female superiority complex going on. It's split between the catholic slavic countries and orthodox countries with the catholic countries actually being like Iloveyourvibes describing. Really, I **** you not. The Orthodox countries have a bit more bluster going on, but the 'real men' are still controlled by their wives.

Thinking more on the Eastern European, Russian, Ukrainian women I've known, there was a small subset of them who were very into the whole princess thing. They treated their men as ATM's and social standing markers as much as men. Around them they acted like giggling girlie types, never out of heels and slap and lived in the gym, giving and withdrawing affection when useful and throwing in drama when required to keep their suckers boyfriends in tow. And it was an act as they could be quite different not around the guys they were with.

I see what you mean. They don't want the man to be an atm, otherwise they lose all respect for him, but they do want the man to devote everything to them. They kind of want the man to be blessing god to have them and always feel lucky.

Whenever I tell Central or Eastern European women that I have moved to their country (in the past and present) they usually comment with pride on how 'beautiful' the countries women are :P I didn't really find it suprising until I was talking to one of my exes and she was so annoyed at them as a woman if that makes any sense. Just a funny situation.

You have to be the one call but not to bother. You have to give more than you take. Or at least it will seem like that.

You have to NEED her.

You have to be rather selfless and not resent it.

Don't be drama but stick with her through drama.

Accept her.

Be fun. Be intelligent.

Respect her talk to her like she is intelligent.

And don't be a doormat. But do be less selfish. be the first to forgive.

I wouldn't judge ILoveYourVibes too harshly here. This is entirely true in regards to the country that I think Iloveyourvibes is from. The attitude towards Ukraine was the final puzzle piece :D

Really, it is true for the country in my head. The women actually like having the man have a bit of a mother issue vibe towards all women. It's really hard to explain, but I think one example will help.

It's quite common to see women in the country that I am talking about throw a bit of an angry strop and power walk away. The man will then look horrified and concerned and then run after her to 'calm her down' and apologize for bad behaviour.
    Every eastern European woman and man I have known. Go to Ukraine.

Don't judge it. You can't apply your values to another culture.

If its not for you...then don't do it.

each to their own.

I actually think the Ukranian women are quite salt of the earth. Sure, they do expect the mine to pay for meals, but, otherwise, they really remind me of Irish women in regards to how normal they are around men. As in, you can tell that they have brothers and male friends, and don't quite see them as foreign creatures. I actually think the Ukranina fawn over an attractive man as much as Irish women do. It's great.

But there may be a west and east divide going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Its mutual training. She's training you ..you're training her ;)

I'm female. And I don't train my partner or vice versa.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'm female. And I don't train my partner or vice versa.
    It was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

My reading of the research is that when couples are analysed most are correlated in attractiveness when reviewed by external parties.

The correlation is hard to put straight into words but roughly speaking on a 10 point scale they fall within 3 units of each other >90% of the time.

IQ comes out with roughly the same relation.

Sociopathic nature and strength of hetreosexuality come next, with people being even less likely to deviate from their own group on these points.

Educational attainment is the strongest. People are much less likely to date outside their educational group long term.

The overall picture is that on average people look for a moderate level of attractiveness within their type first and then are more likely to enter into a long term in order of Education, Hetreosexuality, Sociopathy and IQ. These come before extreme attractiveness within their type.

Note this is on average. Some people are mainly concerned with attractiveness, others much more concerned with IQ.

But almost all require somebody to be at least "ok" within your type. Most couples who seem very at odds look wise are often explained by the more generically attractive partner having an uncommon "type" rather than being unconcerned with looks.

A funny fact. Men assess friends closer to how they assess partners than women do.

This is a summary of the research of Alan Feingold and other papers arising from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

More my experience. I have no clue what this means.

If physical appearance "means nothing" to you, you are an extremely rare individual indeed.

Ah come on. Surely I am not alone in this. You make it sound like I am lying.

I don't think you are lying. Everyone is different.

Fourier wrote: »
    My reading of the research is that when couples are analysed most are correlated in attractiveness when reviewed by external parties.

The correlation is hard to put straight into words but roughly speaking on a 10 point scale they fall within 3 units of each other >90% of the time.

IQ comes out with roughly the same relation.

Sociopathic nature and strength of hetreosexuality come next, with people being even less likely to deviate from their own group on these points.

Educational attainment is the strongest. People are much less likely to date outside their educational group long term.

The overall picture is that on average people look for a moderate level of attractiveness within their type first and then are more likely to enter into a long term in order of Education, Hetreosexuality, Sociopathy and IQ. These come before extreme attractiveness within their type.

Note this is on average. Some people are mainly concerned with attractiveness, others much more concerned with IQ.

But almost all require somebody to be at least "ok" within your type. Most couples who seem very at odds look wise are often explained by the more generically attractive partner having an uncommon "type" rather than being unconcerned with looks.

A funny fact. Men assess friends closer to how they assess partners than women do.

This is a summary of the research of Alan Feingold and other papers arising from it.

Verrry interrrestink!

You are alone... Never met anyone who put no value on looks. Met plenty who said they put no value on looks but it wasn't true.

• Advertisement

You are alone... Never met anyone who put no value on looks. Met plenty who said they put no value on looks but it wasn't true.
    I can believe this too.

I'm going to disagree here a little bit. A lot of Slavic countries definetly have a thing of the woman as mother, and there is quite a lot of female superiority complex going on. It's split between the catholic slavic countries and orthodox countries with the catholic countries actually being like Iloveyourvibes describing. Really, I **** you not. The Orthodox countries have a bit more bluster going on, but the 'real men' are still controlled by their wives.

I see what you mean. They don't want the man to be an atm, otherwise they lose all respect for him, but they do want the man to devote everything to them. They kind of want the man to be blessing god to have them and always feel lucky.

Whenever I tell Central or Eastern European women that I have moved to their country (in the past and present) they usually comment with pride on how 'beautiful' the countries women are :P I didn't really find it suprising until I was talking to one of my exes and she was so annoyed at them as a woman if that makes any sense. Just a funny situation.

I wouldn't judge ILoveYourVibes too harshly here. This is entirely true in regards to the country that I think Iloveyourvibes is from. The attitude towards Ukraine was the final puzzle piece :D

Really, it is true for the country in my head. The women actually like having the man have a bit of a mother issue vibe towards all women. It's really hard to explain, but I think one example will help.

It's quite common to see women in the country that I am talking about throw a bit of an angry strop and power walk away. The man will then look horrified and concerned and then run after her to 'calm her down' and apologize for bad behaviour.

I actually think the Ukranian women are quite salt of the earth. Sure, they do expect the mine to pay for meals, but, otherwise, they really remind me of Irish women in regards to how normal they are around men. As in, you can tell that they have brothers and male friends, and don't quite see them as foreign creatures. I actually think the Ukranina fawn over an attractive man as much as Irish women do. It's great.

But there may be a west and east divide going on.
    U got it pretty much this is it.

People should just go for who they like and likes them back though whatever their reasons for choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,505 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd love to be a stay at home father. I took care of my siblings growing up smd it was quite a happy time tbh.

Maybe I should hitch up with an Irish lass :P

Try and find yourself one with a manufacturers warranty tho ;)

My 1st one packed in and dropped dead at 26!

banie01 wrote: »
    Try and find yourself one with a manufacturers warranty tho ;)

My 1st one packed in and dropped dead at 26!

Love your heartbroken way of putting it.

Love your heartbroken way of putting it.

Should you wish to peruse my litany of melancholy, please feel free to take a look over P.I and Bereavement forums.

As for my heartbroken way of putting it, don't presume to think that because 12yrs later I've learnt to deal with pain, with a little dark humour ;)
    That my loss has diminished, my grief is over or that my loss isn't real.

This is AH, light hearted and fun for the most part, funnily enough sometimes I do like to fit the tone of my post to the majority of the audience.
    But thanks for the judgement ;)

Should you wish to peruse my litany of melancholy, please feel free to take a look over P.I and Bereavement forums.

As for my heartbroken way of putting it, don't presume to think that because 12yrs later I've learnt to deal with pain, with a little dark humour ;)
    That my loss has diminished, my grief is over or that my loss isn't real.

This is AH, light hearted and fun for the most part, funnily enough sometimes I do like to fit the tone of my post to the majority of the audience.
    But thanks for the judgement ;)

I absolutely apologise. I did judge and that was totally wrong of me.

I absolutely apologise. I did judge and that was totally wrong of me.

Thanks, it's appreciated and nice to see on here ;)

Im sorry Banie.

That is such a tragedy.

Thanks, it's appreciated and nice to see on here ;)

Massive thanks to Kathleen grant but for the above and the PM.

Believe me, no harm, no foul!

Tis my gallows humour that's more the problem ;)
    I stand by my poor taste joke tho!
    Tis one of the few upsides of being widowed young :D
    Sometimes being a little bit of a comedic asshole, and making other people feel bad for it...

I did say earlier in this thread tho, that I'm not as charming or as funny as I like to think I am :(

Case in point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That is not good advice. Treating a woman like a higher citizen is an awful idea as women want s good father/ partner who will not see the woman as a deity and will be able to argue with her and handle his own business.

Women want partners. Do they want a boy who will get freaked out at female anger? No, they want a man who will treat her like an equal and discuss the issue. Do they want a guy who is blessing every rare second they have with this deity of a creature? No, they want man who they can live with in close confines and accept their flaws.

I'm wondering is what you said more true in Slavic countries?

I’m wondering is what you said true in any country? :pac:

Because what you’ve written above appears to be centred entirely around yourself and what you think women want, as opposed to allowing for the blatantly obvious fact that women, like men, have their own ideas about what they do or don’t want.

Some women do want what you describe above. Some men want to be what you describe above. I’ve known plenty of healthy relationships like it where the dynamics just work for them, they’re fulfilled and they’re happy and while their relationship dynamics wouldn’t be for me, I’m happy for them that they’ve found each other.

I tend to over-analyse things an awful lot so I prefer to be around someone who makes me laugh. I can’t talk to women I’m not physically attracted to (shallow as a puddle me, be the first to admit it :D) so I have an awful lot more time for a woman who just likes to have fun and doesn’t want to probe my brain or “have me treat her like an equal”. That type of woman would simply wreck my brain, and they do, I’ve met plenty of those types of women too.

That’s why I don’t think these things can be boiled down to one single factor such as whether or not their date is wealthy, or physically attractive, or is into kink or any of the rest of it. That’s why the stuff you describe above honestly has a woeful whiff of PUA off it for it’s unrealistic portrayal of “what women want” as though they all want the same kind of guy and being that guy will lead to “more success with the ladies”.

The OP simply asked would guys here have a problem with dating a woman who earns more than them. The kind of guy who would have a problem with it, would be unlikely to admit it in the first place, and would be even more unlikely to be attracted to a woman who earns more than them anyway. They wouldn’t be likely to be attracted to women who made them feel in any way inferior about themselves, so I do understand where the OP was coming from in observing the trend among the guys she knows who spend a lot of their time in the gym.

• Advertisement

I can’t talk to women I’m not physically attracted to.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, do you mean in general? Like you only are at ease talking to women you fancy or men?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, do you mean in general? Like you only are at ease talking to women you fancy or men?

Yeah I'm imagining "don't you dare talk to me you ugly wench", so something must have gotten lost between brain and screen.

I’m wondering is what you said true in any country? :pac:

Culture is a reality. American dating culture is different to Irish dating culture.
    I can’t talk to women I’m not physically attracted to

Then you shouldn't.

Yeah, in general. That’s pretty much it, I’m only at ease when I’m talking to women I find attractive. I’m not attracted to guys so it’s not an issue there, but if I have to talk to a woman I don’t find attractive, I get very uneasy and uncomfortable in their company because I’d rather not be there.

Yeah I'm imagining "don't you dare talk to me you ugly wench", so something must have gotten lost between brain and screen.

No no, jesus not like that at all :pac:

No no, jesus not like that at all :pac:
    Shame it would be so funny!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Bonkers stuff.

I’m falling round laughing here.

That’s exactly what you said.

“Yawn...bore off with your ugly mug.. Your face is assaulting my eyes.”

Yeah, in general. That’s pretty much it, I’m only at ease when I’m talking to women I find attractive. I’m not attracted to guys so it’s not an issue there, but if I have to talk to a woman I don’t find attractive, I get very uneasy and uncomfortable in their company because I’d rather not be there.
    Right, interesting. Would a woman you don't fancy not basically be the same as talking to a man though. What makes you feel uncomfortable?

anewme wrote: »
    Bonkers stuff.

I’m falling round laughing here.

I’m just grateful it doesn’t come up that often because it’s genuinely embarrassing and I have no idea where it comes from :o I’d never mean it in a malicious way though or anything, I just clam up and can’t make eye contact and pray that they don’t make a thing of it because it’s bloody obvious I’m uncomfortable and I don’t want them to take it personally, it’s entirely on me like :o

• Advertisement

Well thanks for explaining Jack.

Advertisement