Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date a woman who earns considerably more than you?

Options
  • 17-08-2019 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭

After posting in the thread where the genders were reversed, and an earlier conversation, I thought I'd ask for opinions.

I've been in a relationship where this was an issue, and have heard Male friends say they'd feel emasculated.

So is this generally an issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

And be a kept man????

...absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Grayditch wrote: »
    And be a kept man????

...absolutely.

How much would it cost to keep you?

Asking for a friend.

Slightly more, that would be annoying... Shìtloads more, yeah could live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

After posting in the thread where the genders were reversed, and an earlier conversation, I thought I'd ask for opinions.

I've been in a relationship where this was an issue, and have heard Male friends say they'd feel emasculated.

So is this generally an issue?

err, so we both have more money as a household? What possible downside is there? :confused:

Slightly more, that would be annoying... Shìtloads more, yeah could live with that.

Why the distinction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

And be a kept man????

...absolutely.

Word for fúcking word the reply I had in my head, ready to type when I saw the thread title!

Get
    Out
    Of
    My
    Head...

Ya psychic Bollox Grayditch :P

Why the distinction?

A suitably high differential would compensate nicely for my feelings of inadequacy.

A suitably high differential would compensate nicely for my feelings of inadequacy.

And what would consider a suitably high differential to be?

Also, why would you feel inadequate?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Have done. Have been the one earning considerably more too. No problem for me going either direction. I'd only have a problem if they did, again going in either direction.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Without a moments hesitation.

• Advertisement

And what would consider a suitably high differential to be?

Also, why would you feel inadequate?

50 to €100k pa extra would be nice. Only slightly more, no financial benefit, but lose that "trumps" category. :)

Wouldn't really feel inadequate.

Well all the men here are clearly of a more progressive bent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why would it matter? The premise is the same as in the other thread. There's a severe insecurity in anybody, of either sex, who has an issue with an other in the relationship earning more or less than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No problem with it, would be like anything else though if it became a thing where they constantly brought it up I’d be thinking it’s not going to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Most households have to have 2 incomes now to keep afloat so its always going to be one earning more than the other, most couples will just want to take home the most they can.

The issue seems to stem from an old fashioned view that the man should be the provider. I'd agree that it shouldn't be an issue and does correspond to low self esteem.

The ironic thing is that men i know who have an issue are the gym body obsessed types, so it's probably just another outward appearance issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

As others have said, it's really only an issue if the one who earns more keeps harping on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Would surely once she was the sharing type:cool:

Wish my wife earned loads. Useless bitch:mad:

The issue seems to stem from an old fashioned view that the man should be the provider. I'd agree that it shouldn't be an issue and does correspond to low self esteem.

The ironic thing is that men i know who have an issue are the gym body obsessed types, so it's probably just another outward appearance issue.

I don’t think that’s an old fashioned view though when it’s still something that a lot of people practice? I’d be of that view, but it doesn’t mean I’d be insecure about it if a woman I was dating earned more than me. The kind of people who have insecurities about these things are fuelled by a different motivation entirely, usually the need to be in control of the relationship and have the other person completely dependent upon them.

There’s nothing wrong IMO with a man seeing himself as the provider and nothing wrong with a woman who wants to be provided for. It’s only ever an issue if one of them feels insecure or unhappy in themselves.

buckwheat wrote: »
    Would surely once she was the sharing type:cool:

Wish my wife earned loads. Useless bitch:mad:

:pac:

Now, now, caveat emptor, you should have know that before getting hitched.

• Advertisement

I don’t think that’s an old fashioned view though when it’s still something that a lot of people practice? I’d be of that view, but it doesn’t mean I’d be insecure about it if a woman I was dating earned more than me. The kind of people who have insecurities about these things are fuelled by a different motivation entirely, usually the need to be in control of the relationship and have the other person completely dependent upon them.

There’s nothing wrong IMO with a man seeing himself as the provider and nothing wrong with a woman who wants to be provided for. It’s only ever an issue if one of them feels insecure or unhappy in themselves.

Wait ... did I burn my bras for nothing? :pac:

On a serious note, I'd have thought it more common for both to work. I understand that one might earn more, but a lot of that is women expected to be the primary carer for children.

Stay at home dads are mocked for a lifestyle choice that suits the couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've done the stay at home dad thing, and the single parent part of parenting, 6 nearly 7 years of just me and my boy ;)

I've never been mocked, and I have been put thru some ferocious slagging and gallows humour from my friends ;)

Even on here, I've never encountered anything approaching a sneer, let alone derision.

But back to the topic in hand ;)

My Mrs earns considerably more than me at present.
    There's me, lonely single parent who married upwards :P

Banie, you're the stuff of fairytales and legends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Not only would I date a woman who earned more than me, but I'd seek her affections purely for that reason, propose to her pronto, marry her without a smidgen of sincere endearment on my part, then covertly bump her off the cruise ship on our honeymoon and put it down to a forceful gale. Honestly OP, have a look at yourself.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Not only would I date a woman who earned more than me, but I'd seek her affections purely for that reason, propose to her pronto, marry her without a smidgen of sincere endearment on my part, then covertly bump her off the cruise ship on our honeymoon and put it down to a forceful gale. Honestly OP, have a look at yourself.
    I'm looking Sheridan, what should I be seeing?

Wait ... did I burn my bras for nothing? :pac:

On a serious note, I'd have thought it more common for both to work. I understand that one might earn more, but a lot of that is women expected to be the primary carer for children.

I genuinely don’t know the stats on how common it is or isn’t now that two people in a relationship are working or not, but according to the Irish Central Statistics Office at least, 98% of stay at home parents in 2016 are women -

Nearly all of the people (98%) who were looking after home or family in 2016 were women although the number of men in this grouping nearly doubled in the ten years up to 2016, rising from 4,900 to 9,200.

Things all go a bit arseways if we get into employment and wage gaps and all that stuff but no, you didn’t burn that bra for nothing... *cough* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

How much would it cost to keep you?

Asking for a friend.

Double pack of Jaffa Cakes per week and my own Netflix log in.

Double pack of Jaffa Cakes per week and my own Netflix log in.

Cheap at twice the price! Get yer coat, you've pulled. My friend of course ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

anewme wrote: »
    Most households have to have 2 incomes now to keep afloat so its always going to be one earning more than the other, most couples will just want to take home the most they can.

I remember when they told us women need to work to be independent. Now they need to stay in relationships to be able to live comfortably.

Economics eh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Yes so she can pay for my seeds

Advertisement