Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you date a woman who earns considerably more than you?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Fourier wrote: »
    Right, interesting. Would a woman you don't fancy not basically be the same as talking to a man though. What makes you feel uncomfortable?

No, I know the difference between men and women like, my brain doesn’t perceive them the same way :D I don’t know where it comes from F, I just accept it as one of those things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yeah, in general. That’s pretty much it, I’m only at ease when I’m talking to women I find attractive. I’m not attracted to guys so it’s not an issue there, but if I have to talk to a woman I don’t find attractive, I get very uneasy and uncomfortable in their company because I’d rather not be there.

Never knew this and I've known you a while. I guess that means I'm attractive :D

How does it work day to day. Like can you interact with a shop assistant if they are aren't attractive or an elderly person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I would find it harder to talk to someone I am attracted to. I’m more self concious. Where can chat away to anyone I don’t feel attracted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

anewme wrote: »
    I would find it harder to talk to someone I am attracted to. I’m more self concious. Where can chat away to anyone I don’t feel attracted to.
    Me too :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Married one. When we got married 4 years ago she was earning approx 2.75 times my salary. In the intervening period my salary has more than doubled while hers has increased by roughly 5% so the difference between us now is about 40%. Didnt bother me then, doesn't bother me now. I've never put any stock in my earning power vs a potential mate, I dont view it as emmasculating that she earns more than me. Most likely in the next 5 years my salary will overtake hers based on the industries we work in, she has more or less reached the ceiling in her chosen field whereas I've recently moved into an offshoot of my own that is very specific and is only becoming more and more important for businesses with changing legislation and a lack of people doing it. Earning more than her would also not be an issue for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,535 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yep, I turn into a blushing, stuttering moron constantly averting my gaze like I'm doing a princess Diana impersonation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Same here. If I've really got the hots for someone I can end up channelling Dougal Maguire in their company. Well, when I was younger anyway. It was very embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yep, I turn into a blushing, stuttering moron constantly averting my gaze like I'm doing a princess Diana impersonation.

That's better than Dougal Maguire! Honestly, the things I've blurted out makes "Take off your bra" pale in comparison. I once asked after some lad"s big purple head. (Don't ask)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm going to disagree here a little bit. A lot of Slavic countries definetly have a thing of the woman as mother, and there is quite a lot of female superiority complex going on. It's split between the catholic slavic countries and orthodox countries with the catholic countries actually being like Iloveyourvibes describing. Really, I **** you not. The Orthodox countries have a bit more bluster going on, but the 'real men' are still controlled by their wives.
    Latin cultures can be similar. Patriarchal in public, matriarchal in private. Generally speaking Irish couples are more "equal" in that sense, though Ireland in my humble is slightly more matriarchal in culture.
    It's quite common to see women in the country that I am talking about throw a bit of an angry strop and power walk away. The man will then look horrified and concerned and then run after her to 'calm her down' and apologize for bad behaviour.
    I've had that a few times. When I was in my twenties yep I'd run after all sorry etc and sooner or later another strop would kick off. Rinse and repeat. I learned in my 30's not to do this. Indeed I have to say doing the complete opposite and continuing on ignoring any such childish tantrum tactics "worked" far better. Like multiples better. It nipped that as a tactic in the bud. And somewhat sad to say I learned that the more willing I was to walk away, the less emotionally invested I was, the less hassle I got and the more attention. In very crass terms; the fewer fcuks I gave the more fcuks I tended to get. Which I also have to admit made me too cynical for too long.

I've very rarely had that public meltdown and flouncing off with Irish women come to think of it. They're less publicly dramatic. To be fair though it happened rarely enough overall. I suppose because the type is not my type and wouldn't get much beyond the first night out kinda thing - and it's very easy to spot the "princesses".

Plus while there are some cultural differences going on there are also a lot of stereotypes, many which people often feel they have to live up to. The least likely I've known to pull that nonsense were an Italian, a Spaniard and a Ukrainian(though the latter did expect me to pay for everything in public. Privately no, very equal on that score, but publicly her money was hers, my money was "ours").

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I knew a chap whose wife earned three times what he did. Early on in the relationship, he had to have a word. She tended to book very expensive holidays and they had already agreed to split costs on everything but going halves on two weeks in the Maldives was impossible to sustain, especially when she considered it routine to have two or three holidays a year. She also had a habit of changing her car every two or three years and he was getting it in the ear from her well-off family about driving older cars. She also had inherited property and had her own place before the marriage. She didn't really grasp how if affected him until the prospect of children came up and spiralling costs hit him hard. He didnt want pity or charity or to be sneered at by her family, but he was effectively broke compared to her. From what he said, it took quite a while to sort out, as she still had habits from singlehood that were hard to break.

• Advertisement

Interesting point Stovepipe, we are used to our current lifestyle and it's difficult to adjust that up or down to suit a partner's income.

I have absolutely no shame in admitting I would prefer a partner with a similar income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

eviltwin wrote: »
    Never knew this and I've known you a while. I guess that means I'm attractive :D

How does it work day to day. Like can you interact with a shop assistant if they are aren't attractive or an elderly person?

Works grand really, it’s rare enough it’s an issue, like I just don’t make eye contact for the short time I’d have to interact with someone in work or whatever. The times when it would be an issue are like when I’d be conducting interviews or I’d be giving a talk and I have to tell myself to get it together!

Only once did I have a particularly adverse reaction when I was talking to a girl in the club and her friend appeared out of nowhere. I only glanced at her friend but she looked emaciated, and it was just pure gut reaction that I needed to get to the bathroom to throw up. Definitely not one of my finer moments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

Married one. When we got married 4 years ago she was earning approx 2.75 times my salary. In the intervening period my salary has more than doubled while hers has increased by roughly 5% so the difference between us now is about 40%. Didnt bother me then, doesn't bother me now. I've never put any stock in my earning power vs a potential mate, I dont view it as emmasculating that she earns more than me. Most likely in the next 5 years my salary will overtake hers based on the industries we work in, she has more or less reached the ceiling in her chosen field whereas I've recently moved into an offshoot of my own that is very specific and is only becoming more and more important for businesses with changing legislation and a lack of people doing it. Earning more than her would also not be an issue for me.

Nice profile pic, seeing as your wife is considerably richer than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't see any issue with it. Our income levels have varied considerably during our relationship, I used to earn a fair bit more, now my partner currently earns about 3 times what I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Wibbs wrote: »

I've very rarely had that public meltdown and flouncing off with Irish women come to think of it. They're less publicly dramatic. To be fair though it happened rarely enough overall. I suppose because the type is not my type and wouldn't get much beyond the first night out kinda thing - and it's very easy to spot the "princesses".

I've seen mothers with babies on their backs storming off, and elderly grannies. :o

I guess you act like a boy and you'll be treated like a boy.

I earned more at first, he edged in front last year but so far this year I've earned more due to various projects.

It doesn't matter to either of us, it's all household income in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Sweaty Balls

I would. I'd also be happy with one who earns considerably less than me. In fact I'd just be happy with a woman.

Where do I find one?

at the woman shop

bluewolf wrote: »
    at the woman shop

But wash your balls first.

But wash your balls first.

Beat me to it. :)

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    at the woman shop

I found a website last night where you can pay women to hang out with you. Is that what you're referring to?

I found a website last night where you can pay women to hang out with you. Is that what you're referring to?
    If you have to pay for multiple women that'll be the factory and the price will be ex vat and shipping.
    If individually available that'll be the shop.

The state should just issue us all with wives. Maybe east European women could be given citizenship if they agree to move to Ireland and marry a man?

Divorce would not permitted.

If you have to pay for multiple women that'll be the factory and the price will be ex vat and shipping.
    If individually available that'll be the shop.

and ups import fees

The state should just issue us all with wives. Maybe east European women could be given citizenship if they agree to move to Ireland and marry a man?

Sounds like a plan!

Good luck :)

In other news, this thread is going nicely. No controversies or other hijinks...yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

I would be considered a bit traditionalist/conservative by most young folk today but I wouldn't have a problem with dating a woman who earns considerably more than me. Never felt emasculated by dating taller women either. I'd only have a problem with it if they had a problem with it as was written earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭IHeartShoes

Wibbs wrote: »
    Everybody It's rare to see a couple where one is significantly better looking than the other.

Very common, in my humble opinion, in both Limerick and Liverpool! Stunning looking women with very average looking blokes, in both cities. No scientific basis for that statement just lots of people watching :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Very common, in my humble opinion, in both Limerick and Liverpool! Stunning looking women with very average looking blokes, in both cities. No scientific basis for that statement just lots of people watching :)

Goes to show stunning looking women go for average looking bloke's.

My male friends a very attractive looking man, gets a huge amount of matches on tinder, the very minute he says he's a waiter the conversation nose dives....

I wonder whys that ?

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »

My male friends a very attractive looking man, gets a huge amount of matches on tinder, the very minute he says he's a waiter the conversation nose dives....

I wonder whys that ?

Unsociable work hours? :cool:

Unsociable work hours? :cool:

True, I never thought of that.

Doesn't stop some jock from dating an attractive looking waitress though.

Maybe men don't care about unsociable work hours ;)

True, I never thought of that.

Doesn't stop some jock from dating an attractive looking waitress though.

Maybe men don't care about unsociable work hours ;)

It's a conundrum. :p

It's a conundrum. :p

I know I find it so interesting.

It's kind of shallow too not dating someone due to unsociable hour's.

There was a bikini model who's also a professional surfer who used to work in Joe's cafe in Lahinch.

A nice pleasant lady, she had no problems in getting a date or admiration from men and women....

Haven't seen her in a few years, probably moved back to England.

You're right it's a conundrum, I don't see any comments from the opposite sex
    I'm sure one or two are burning to say something but don't want to elaborate on the conundrum....

I know I find it so interesting.

It's kind of shallow too not dating someone due to unsociable hour's.

There was a bikini model who's also a professional surfer who used to work in Joe's cafe in Lahinch.

A nice pleasant lady, she had no problems in getting a date or admiration from men and women....

Haven't seen her in a few years, probably moved back to England.

You're right it's a conundrum, I don't see any comments from the opposite sex
    I'm sure one or two are burning to say something but don't want to elaborate on the conundrum....
    Did you just assume my gender? :eek::pac:

Did you just assume my gender? :eek::pac:

Which out of the 57 genders are you ?

I'm just a man, some people would call me a sissy male or something...

Cis male, is that it ;)

• Advertisement

The unsociable working hours are interesting in the fact that it seems to be a global preference outside of areas which are a little bit matriarchal or low on men.

Perhaps, culturally, its a signifier that mans a boy who has nlt grown up as a woman does not want to take care of another child?

You should test it out. Splurge on some nice shoes and tell women that you work in banking or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Well 16 pages in, After Hours, have we decided whether we're going to date a wealthier woman or not?

I'm quickly losing the will to live, so probably won't be able to date anything after a few minutes hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

It wouldn’t bother me dating someone that earns considerably more than me. But I am happy enough with what I am paid and feel it is fair for the job I do.

Which I think that could come into it if the man feels he is underpaid and should be earning more for the job he does and then he goes out with a woman that earns considerably more think that could lead to issues then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I wonder whys that ?

I would have no problem dating someone that earns considerably more than me.

But I am sure people take jobs into account when dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Cork wrote: »
    I would have no problem dating someone that earns considerably more than me.

But I am sure people take jobs into account when dating.

Which isn't unreasonable as it indicates compatibility on lots of areas. If I'm a motivated person that wants to retire early and save/invest wisely, it's going to cause friction if I'm going out with an artist who spends most of their time on the dole.

Same if people like opulent or specific lifestyles....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Are Sugar Mammies a thing? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Are Sugar Mammies a thing? :pac:

Get in line. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

As a gay man with no money, yes.

Let's just hold hands okay bbz

Advertisement