Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time to visit Botanic Garden?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I suppose it depends on what you are into
    usually worth a visit for the greenhouse stuff anytime

Gardening Forum
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1059

opening hours
    http://www.botanicgardens.ie/educ/info.htm

different set of plants down in Wicklow
    http://www.botanicgardens.ie/kilmac/kilmnews.htm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

All the spring flowers are up, so it's pretty good, but i like it even in winter, they still have lovely trees and there's some heather for cold months colour. Either way it's great.

I still havent made it down to the different set of plants in wicklow though. They do run regular meadows and woodlands walks that point out things of interest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I was there the other day and there’s plenty starting to bloom now.

I think the best time of year is around August/September though, when the rose garden is in bloom :) But there’s never really a bad time to go!

Oh late spring/early summer can be good too; sometimes there are baby ducks :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

woodchuck wrote: »
    Oh late spring/early summer can be good too; sometimes there are baby ducks :pac:
    And squirrels

But I think they were greys :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Only ever seen grey squirrels alright. They're mad cocky too, stand there and stare you down. People seem to pet them too, though there's a sign up at the info desk warning about getting bitten.

• Advertisement

Only ever seen grey squirrels alright. They're mad cocky too, stand there and stare you down. People seem to pet them too, though there's a sign up at the info desk warning about getting bitten.

Yeah there only seem to be grey squirrels... but I love them :pac:

There don't tend to be many around in Winter, but they're starting to come back out now I think. There can be loads around during the summer :)

I also saw a rat once... I thought he was cute :o (I'm aware that I'm odd btw... I don't pet them at least :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sandyfordboi

The trinity botanical gardens in darty are quite good too! although they are much smaller than the ones in glasnevin but they still have loads of interesting plants :)

I wasn't overly impressed with Trinitys gardens I have to say... but it's been a few years (oh dear... 7ish :eek:) since I've been there. They don't have a pond sure they don't? Most of what I love about the glasnevin one is the pond with all the ducks and other wildlife around the area :)

I wasn't overly impressed with Trinitys gardens I have to say... but it's been a few years (oh dear... 7ish :eek:) since I've been there. They don't have a pond sure they don't? Most of what I love about the glasnevin one is the pond with all the ducks and other wildlife around the area :)

em well its looking pretty decent now ( biased opinion cause i study their ) :) emm not in the gardens but where the apartments are there's ducks and fish :P

• Advertisement

em well its looking pretty decent now ( biased opinion cause i study their ) :) emm not in the gardens but where the apartments are there's ducks and fish :P

Maybe it's time I gave it another chance so :P Can anyone just walk into the gardens, or do you have to be a student?

Maybe it's time I gave it another chance so :P Can anyone just walk into the gardens, or do you have to be a student?

Na anyone can walk in as far as i know and the staff are pretty nice too so they dont mind! just pick a day when the weather is nice :)

Advertisement